Rooney thread

wiggyrichard

Take him in the squad or leave him at home?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Take him in the squad or leave him at home?

• Yes, he must be in the squad
    • No, we're good enough to cope without him

From an England perspective - he has to go.

But it's his own stupid fault for being in this quandary, for getting himself brainlessly sent off, in the last **** competitive game before the cunting Euros.

How often does he win matches for England?

He's a liability, especially in big tournaments.

Given he is yet to show it on the international stage, but Christ we all know he is more than capable of doing it.

So could Stanley Victor Collymore.

Including the qualifiers, this is Rooney's 5th major tournament for England. How many chances does he need/deserve? Drop the petulant little Chav prick.

I would not even entertain not taking him!

Even if he cant play in the group stages the rest of the team should be good enough to qualify without him. After that who would you rather have available to change a game, Rooney or Crouch/Zamora?

People using the loss of a squad place as an argument should remember how often does the 4th choice striker get on the pitch anyway?

This post sums up my feelings pretty well.

You have a good eye for a post my friend :)

In addition the 'rest' he will get may actually be good for us in the long run. He has looked simply shattered in most of the tournaments he has participated in.

Given he is yet to show it on the international stage, but Christ we all know he is more than capable of doing it.

Including the qualifiers, this is Rooney's 5th major tournament for England. How many chances does he need/deserve? Drop the petulant little Chav prick.

As much as i like Collymore and think he was a great player, you cant even compare the 2 in terms of ability.

Rooney is a world class player, to leave him at home narrows your chances of success. To win the competition after the group stages, be will have to beat the best, and to do that we will need the best.

As much as i like Collymore and think he was a great player, you cant even compare the 2 in terms of ability.

Rooney is a world class player, to leave him at home narrows your chances of success. To win the competition after the group stages, be will have to beat the best, and to do that we will need the best.

Rooney? world class? don't make me laugh!

he is a petulant Chav who only last season had a 7 month goal drought who has plagued the national side with discipline problems for years.

world class - my hoop.

Rooney? world class? don't make me laugh!

he is a petulant Chav who only last season had a 7 month goal drought who has plagued the national side with discipline problems for years.

world class - my hoop.

I have nothing against people disliking footballers as you obviously dislike Rooney for whatever reason. But to deny his ability on a football pitch is silly.

111 goals in 223 games for Utd and 28 goals in 73 games for England pretty much blow your claim right out of the water.

I'd take him.

England have to assume that they will qualify for the knockouts, otherwise they might as well not turn up.

With the right man management, Rooney could rejoin the team with a burning desire to prove everyone wrong.

I'd leave him behind. Nothing to do with success or failure in this tournament, I would just treat him like the child he is. If he can't behave then he is not alowed to play with his freinds. Maybe in two years time he will come back a little older and a little wiser. If he is constantly pandered to and able to walk back into the squad as "the big man" he has no insentive to change. He is basically spoilt and needs a little discipline.

I would rather watch a team with a strong team ethic playing for each other and the country rather than a bunch of rocket polishers playing for the next big sponsorship deal. Sadly though we would probably replace Rooney with another of the rocket polishers as there aren't many good guys out there right now.

Then again I can't wait for the football bubble to burst so we can have our game back, local lads playing for the local team and the England shirt is an honor you bleed for rather than an asset for you to bleed so I'm a bit biased against the modern game as a whole.

He's 1 of 2 players that we have that you can call amongst the best in their position in the World (Ashley Cole the other) so he has to go. He'll finish as the highest scoring English player in the league and was also our (joint) highest scorer in qualifying, to me that means he deserves to go. We will not win the Euros with Rooney (we won't with him, but we'll have a far better chance).

I'd leave him. If we take him the papers will be all about him again and will disrupt the other team members. If we leave him at home (hopefully) the media will leave him alone for the summer and he can think about his rash actions. He needs to understand that what he did is not acceptable.

This is such a tough one to call for me. If it was anybody else I would definitley say leave him behind, but he is by far our best player and I'm sure in the knock-out rounds I would be wanting him there.

On the other hand, if the the team get out the group comfortably and the strikers have being playing well, why should Rooney claim his place back instantly? What if a striker gets injured in the first game and we straight away only have 2 or 3 striking options like in 2006.

I wouldn't want to be Capello making this choice

I'd leave him. If we take him the papers will be all about him again and will disrupt the other team members. If we leave him at home (hopefully) the media will leave him alone for the summer and he can think about his rash actions. He needs to understand that what he did is not acceptable.

This is a very valid reason. The team should be greater than the sum of its parts. You can generate a real team bond by excluding him and making those chosen feel more valued.

This is a very valid reason. The team should be greater than the sum of its parts. You can generate a real team bond by excluding him and making those chosen feel more valued.

Not that I really care either way but I think this is probably the best reasoning for not taking him to the Euros.

Maybe for once the media would focus on the football and not on the individuals?

Although Rooney is England's best player I think Capello would be wise not to include him. But whatever he does he'll get huge amount of stick for his decision.

Undoubtedly Rooney is a quality player (mainly for ManUre but not so much for England) however, the reason he's missing the first three matches is his own fault.

It's not like he's done a metatarsul again and wouldn't be 100% fit for the openers etc - He stupidly kicked a player, rightly deserving a 3 match ban.

I don't know how the other players, especially the strikers would feel if they progress through the group stage only to lose their place in the team for Rooney - i'd feel well pissed off!

By taking him sends all the wrong messages, at the end of the day Rooney, because of his position is a role model and an ambassador of English football and with his continual petulance isn't good at either role!

If we were to reach the FA Cup Final and Gabby or Bent picked up a red card late in the season - meaning they'd return for the Final - would we happily accept that they shouldn't be picked in the squad for the game? No chance. He might have his moments where he's a total cock, but I don't think you can really question his ability and how hard he works for the team.

Depends on form. If Welbeck/Sturridge/Bent/Caroll have good-to-great seasons, then there is no need to risk a place bringing in Rooney. As all it takes is one injury in the first game and you are two strikers down for the rest of the group.

If the rest of the strikers have shit season and Rooney has a stormer, then you bring him.

I have nothing against people disliking footballers as you obviously dislike Rooney for whatever reason. But to deny his ability on a football pitch is silly.

So it's OK that he has discipline problems and that his goal scoring record is, well, not that great.

111 goals in 223 games for Utd and 28 goals in 73 games for England pretty much blow your claim right out of the water.

OK, now here's another way of looking at it. Apart from the season he had a stormer with Cristiano Ronaldo (09/10) he has only scored a total of 49 goals in the seasons 06/07, 07/08, 08/09 & 10/11 - all this with the amazing midfield support of Manure, a team that has dominated the league for 20 years, picking up 12 titles along the way.

Darren Bent scored 48 in the same four seasons, including the season he was at Spuds and hardly played. I'm not saying Bent is England's saviour, but Rooney is absolutely not a class above him. There are other players in the league who have matched that record as well (Drogba).

He has consistently failed to perform for England at competitions, scoring a massive 4 goals in 12 games, while also getting himself sent off and demonstrating repeatedly his inability to behave like a responsible adult.

World class: Define.

I see world class as being the best, or able to compete with the best players in the given position in the world. Wayne Rooney has proven time and time again that he does not have what it takes to compete with the world's best.

Out of interest, who in the premier league would you describe as world class? Was Matt Le Tissier world class?

Make what you like of it, but it is debatable whether I would have Rooney in the Villa team, let alone the national team.

Why should we take an ineligible player to a competition where he can't play? We might as well take Dwight Yorke!

Â