Rooney thread

wiggyrichard

Take him in the squad or leave him at home?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Take him in the squad or leave him at home?

• Yes, he must be in the squad
    • No, we're good enough to cope without him

Does anyone think Ferguson has run the rule over him at Manure, which he doesn't get from Capello? Would certainly explain the difference in his attitude for club & country...

It would be ridiculous not to take him.

If we don't take him, we either don't get out of the group stages or we do get out of the group stages and have no Wayne Rooney.

If we do take him, we either don't get out of the group stages, or we do and we have Wayne Rooney.

I don't understand why you wouldn't take him?

How often does he win matches for England?

He's a liability, especially in big tournaments.

Given he is yet to show it on the international stage, but Christ we all know he is more than capable of doing it.

So could Stanley Victor Collymore.

Including the qualifiers, this is Rooney's 5th major tournament for England. How many chances does he need/deserve? Drop the petulant little Chav prick.

He was pretty **** good in his first major tournament for England.

just sayin'

Injured in 04

Sent off in 06

Didn't qualify for 08

Out of form in 2010

Will miss 3 of our 4 games in 2012 when we get knocked out of the quarters

I'm beginning to think he'll never actually do it on the big stage

The question is of course not even worth discussing. Of course he is going along!

Capello knows this already, it is just that the media love this kind of headline and it seems the Brits do as well.

Rooney is by far the best offensive player England has in its books, both as a leader, goalscorer and the gets the players/fans going.

What else is there? The group stage is one tough game and two games where you are hard favourites. Easy as that. Getting through the first three games is easy for you, at least on paper. Then you will get a tough team in the first knock out round, and then he will be back. Who on earth is better than Wayne Rooney, even with 2-3 games in their legs?

Andy Carroll? Yeah right! Hapless without a better player up there, and he cannot even hack it at Liverpool with Suarez. A new Crouch basically.

Darren Bent? Can play a role, but only with the right player next to him and that is Wayne Rooney.

Jermain Defoe? Energy and some tricky shots, but the same as Bent - i.e a player that is good at scoring goals but not a very good footballer.

Gabby? Let's not start the debate about him just yet, after playing games against poor opposition. He is on fire, and long may it continue.

Zamora?

Sturridge?

Welbeck?

Crouch?

Heskey? LOL, and I never say LOL.

So my question is; who on earth is going to warrant a position in the team when Rooney is standing there ready to play?

If he is not getting on that plane, it is going to be a direct punishment for his red card and nothing else, and that is too stupid for me to even understand. That is shooting oneself in the foot, on purpose. On a positive note, the media have already got what they needed in terms of new headlines in the summer. Either you go out because he DID play, or you went out because it was stupid to not play him. That is how the luxuries of the media is exposed, no matter what happens in terms of decisionmaking. That is of course, until you win it all and then the frenzy is complete ;)

Injured in 04

Sent off in 06

Didn't qualify for 08

Out of form in 2010

Will miss 3 of our 4 games in 2012 when we get knocked out of the quarters

I'm beginning to think he'll never actually do it on the big stage

2004 he had a good tournament and scored 3 goals and got an assist. S he has done it for England on the big stage. I agree with the rest though.

He was pretty **** good in his first major tournament for England.

DOL was good in his 1st season at Villa ;) Cant live on something 7 years ago

Yes let's play that pikey from Liverpool and Defoe then. Great combo, will make Torres and Villa shake in fear.

I hope gabby hits his potential this year, lot of codgers at the back for other countries won't stand a chance if he is on his top game.

Have gabby and ronaldo ever chased a ball down in competition? I think he's the only opponent who could catch him.

Gabbys issue his seemingly lack of ability to find those lovely big gaps that he did in 2007. If England manager Postman Pat can get the higher IQ players around him to create that space we're onto a winner.

Perhaps it was because we had young and Milner who were relatively quick themselves to help stretch the defence.

Would an attack of young gabby and Walcott/Defoe be the right combo?

I think without Rooney the only option is 4-3-3.

It's something of a paradox, isnt it? There are two probable outcomes here:

1] We fail to make it out of the group. Rooney's spot in the squad was wasted.

2] We do make it out of the group. The team are playing well without him, who do we drop to allow Rooney, who wont have kicked a ball in anger for six weeks and not played for England in nine months back into the team?

I'd still take him, but through gritted teeth.

I don't understand why you wouldn't take him?

I understand the benefits of including him but I think the reasons for not including him are very valid indeed.

I'd leave him. If we take him the papers will be all about him again and will disrupt the other team members. If we leave him at home (hopefully) the media will leave him alone for the summer and he can think about his rash actions. He needs to understand that what he did is not acceptable.

This is a very valid reason. The team should be greater than the sum of its parts. You can generate a real team bond by excluding him and making those chosen feel more valued.

Not that I really care either way but I think this is probably the best reasoning for not taking him to the Euros.

Maybe for once the media would focus on the football and not on the individuals?

Although Rooney is England's best player I think Capello would be wise not to include him. But whatever he does he'll get huge amount of stick for his decision.

I would take him basically because there isn't a better striker for England out there but i do think Capello/Rooney is now in a no win situation unless England go and win the whole thing.

We go out in the groups - Rooney's Fault for getting sent off

We get through and he selects Rooney and we lose - Capellos Fault should have kept the same side

We go through and he keeps the same side with Rooney on the bench and we lose - Capellos fault and he should have selected Rooney.

So unless they do go the whole way with or without Rooney there are ready made excuses.

He still got time to make the decision, lots of things can happen.

I am surprised you all feel so dependant of Rooney, yet many expect England to get through a group that currently could include:

Spain, Croatia and Portugal.

How does that work?

He still got time to make the decision, lots of things can happen.

I am surprised you all feel so dependant of Rooney, yet many expect England to get through a group that currently could include:

Spain, Croatia and Portugal.

How does that work?

I doubt we will playing Spain, both will be in the top group of seedings as things stand ATM.

Back on topic, since Rooney is by popular judgement our best player why would you be surprised we feel a certain dependency on him?

Â