Rooney thread

wiggyrichard

Take him in the squad or leave him at home?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Take him in the squad or leave him at home?

• Yes, he must be in the squad
    • No, we're good enough to cope without him

He still got time to make the decision, lots of things can happen.

I am surprised you all feel so dependant of Rooney, yet many expect England to get through a group that currently could include:

Spain, Croatia and Portugal.

How does that work?

I doubt we will playing Spain, both will be in the top group of seedings as things stand ATM.

Back on topic, since Rooney is by popular judgement our best player why would you be surprised we feel a certain dependency on him?

Spain, Holland and the two hosts are rank 1.

In an ideal world where Rooney could just slide in unnoticed in the QF, I wouldn´t be surprised.

If you made it that far I would consider it a major risk, to do so, in this world.

He was pretty **** good in his first major tournament for England.

DOL was good in his 1st season at Villa ;) Cant live on something 7 years ago

So?

The point was he'd never produced for England. He clearly has, 7 years ago or not

Euro 2004 was the last time England had a genuine chance of winning something. Had Rooney not been injured, I think we'd have been in with a really good chance of winning the whole thing

I would take him basically because there isn't a better striker for England out there but i do think Capello/Rooney is now in a no win situation unless England go and win the whole thing.

We go out in the groups - Rooney's Fault for getting sent off

We get through and he selects Rooney and we lose - Capellos Fault should have kept the same side

We go through and he keeps the same side with Rooney on the bench and we lose - Capellos fault and he should have selected Rooney.

So unless they do go the whole way with or without Rooney there are ready made excuses.

i agree with this, apart from if we go out in the groups with rooney in the squad capello will get slaughtered for taking him rather than someone else

rooney will come out of this smelling of roses, as the WC showed players always do

capello however is royally ****

England have constantly failed at major tournaments because we, and the squad of he day, are led to believe that there are certain players that we cannot do without.

Rooney as an individual has been a big failure in the finals of tournaments.

A team should be built to contest Euro 2012, with a team ethic and a team spirit, not as a bunch of individuals. As Rooney is unavailable for the group stages, then it will be the team who have progressed, so they should continue without him.

dunno how people are saying rooney dont produce for england, last tournament i agree he had a nightmare but he has scored 26 goals for England so far in his career i can see him being Englands all time top scorer by end of his career

I thought the same about Michael Owen when he was about 24-25, but look what happened there. The bloke was **** by 28. No chance of Rooney ever becoming England's top goal scorer, unless he plays out of his skin in a long list of meaningless friendlies against non-entity opponents. His international goal scoring record over the last 12-18 months is not that good...

England have constantly failed at major tournaments because we, and the squad of he day, are led to believe that there are certain players that we cannot do without.

Rooney as an individual has been a big failure in the finals of tournaments.

A team should be built to contest Euro 2012, with a team ethic and a team spirit, not as a bunch of individuals. As Rooney is unavailable for the group stages, then it will be the team who have progressed, so they should continue without him.

This. I've believed for ages that England have the quality, I mean these players play week in week out with some of the best players on the planet and don't look out of place, there's no way they aren't good enough to at least give the top international sides a run for their money. Team ethos, severely lacking though, and the pressure brought about by the prying media doesn't help either.

I think it's more prudent to bring Rooney along as part of the squad, maybe not an automatic starter but he does have the creativity and flair to make massive contributions. But it's imperative imo that he fights for his place.

I've believed for ages that England have the quality, I mean these players play week in week out with some of the best players on the planet and don't look out of place, there's no way they aren't good enough to at least give the top international sides a run for their money.

maybe its them great players making English players look better than they are.

rooney will come out of this smelling of roses, as the WC showed players always do

capello however is royally ****

not one england player came out of World Cup smelling like roses except maybe Joe Hart and that was by defeault. Capello wont be **** as he leaving anyway so he wont care. He will get a contract with a big club and probably be successful while England are struggling to qualify for 2014 under super Englishman Harry Redknapp.

We talk about underperforming at Big competitions but overall, it's not that bad.

Best player at Euro 2004.

World Cup 2006 - Out injured before and never got back fit, it's unfair to blame him for people rushing him back.

Euro's - didn't qualify.

World Cup 2010 - Clear underlying issues that lasted a long while, whether injuries or personal.

Obviously the last one isn't a huge excuse but 2010 world cup, he went through a period of about 8 months that was incredibly bad. A freak period.

Moving on though from that point ....about taking him now.

We aren't blessed with lots of world class strikers. We're not talking about taking Rooney and leaving out someone with geniune international quality. The likely players competing for that 3rd/4th/5th spot (imo, should be Bent, Sturridge as main two) are Carroll, Zamora, Gabby, Welbeck, Defoe, Crouch.

Most likely, the 4th or 5th choice striker never plays anyway!

Take Rooney:

Qualify - scrape through - bring him straight in, a fresh, ready to go Rooney can be brilliant.

Qualify - playing well - leave him on bench, brilliant option on bench in a quarter final! 20-30 mins from bench.

Don't qualify - doesn't really come down to not having another striker?

I mean, if we took Sturridge, Welbeck, Bent ...he may only play one of them for starters and if he played two of them, he isn't going to want to drop two strikers if we struggled, he'd just change it around within the 3.

I've believed for ages that England have the quality, I mean these players play week in week out with some of the best players on the planet and don't look out of place, there's no way they aren't good enough to at least give the top international sides a run for their money.

maybe its them great players making English players look better than they are.

All Englishmen? I mean it's more than a tad coincidental that almost the entire English first 11 perform consistently well at club level. There is genuine quality.

But English footballers do have a different style to them, maybe that's what's been hurting England's chances on the world stage for years. You lot haven't had a genuine top class flair player since Gazza and no Joe Cole wasn't ever nearly as good imo. You can have quality players throughout your squad but if the right balance isn't struck in terms of playing style the team's chances of success are hurt.

All Englishmen? I mean it's more than a tad coincidental that almost the entire English first 11 perform consistently well at club level. There is genuine quality

After all these years english players are not as good as their foreign equivalents and all their faults are shown when playing with English players.

Terry, Gerrard, Lamplard, Rooney, Beckham all look like world beaters playing with top players and put them in an England jersey and they cant pass the ball 5 yards. How many England players have ever been nominated for World Player of the Year. Think was just Beckham and that was a joke when he was 4th best midfielder in that United team

How many England players have ever been nominated for World Player of the Year. Think was just Beckham and that was a joke when he was 4th best midfielder in that United team

Lampard was second in 2005, Shearer finished third in 1996 and Lineker finished third in 1991.

All Englishmen? I mean it's more than a tad coincidental that almost the entire English first 11 perform consistently well at club level. There is genuine quality

After all these years english players are not as good as their foreign equivalents and all their faults are shown when playing with English players.

Terry, Gerrard, Lamplard, Rooney, Beckham all look like world beaters playing with top players and put them in an England jersey and they cant pass the ball 5 yards. How many England players have ever been nominated for World Player of the Year. Think was just Beckham and that was a joke when he was 4th best midfielder in that United team

Again, it's more a problem of having too many players of the same ilk and an extremely limited pool of flair players to choose from. Terry, Gerrard etc (used to) be world class imo, both were instrumental in winning backtoback league titles and the European Cup respectively for their teams. On international duty however, you find that the England squad is chock full of players with similar styles such as Gerrard and Lampard and lots of hardworkers like Rooney etc but few players who genuinely love a dribble and like to play one touch football. Too many runners, too little flair.

P.S. Owen was European Player of the Year in 2001 IINM

Rooney has looked unbelievable this season, who is making him look good?

Precisely. And he's not the only one, the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Owen have all stood out as outstanding players in what were already top teams in years past.

Â