Rooney thread

wiggyrichard

Take him in the squad or leave him at home?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Take him in the squad or leave him at home?

• Yes, he must be in the squad
    • No, we're good enough to cope without him

But Neil, i would say a hungrier player like Sturridge, Bent or Welbeck is still some distance behind Rooney. He is the only player we have who can change a game in a split second.

In 73 games for England I can't reacall many of these moments. He does it regularly for Utd but not for England.

I think Welbeck could be the secret weapon we need. A relatively unknown commodity of undoubted quality.

The whole world knows Rooney has a temper especially when he is getting frustrated like he does playing for England and will play on it.

Dont get me wrong, i would love to think we had enough fire power to not depend on Rooney, i just dont see it tho.

How many magic moments has Rooney produced at international level? To counter i ask how many has Bent, Welbeck or Sturridge? The difference being we know Rooney is capable of it.

Leave him. He needs a wake-up call, and as Capello will be **** off soon anyway he's fortunate enough to be in a position where he doesn't have to give two shits about the inevitable media backlash/shitfest if he does leave him.

But Neil, i would say a hungrier player like Sturridge, Bent or Welbeck is still some distance behind Rooney. He is the only player we have who can change a game in a split second.

In 73 games for England I can't reacall many of these moments. He does it regularly for Utd but not for England.

I think Welbeck could be the secret weapon we need. A relatively unknown commodity of undoubted quality.

The whole world knows Rooney has a temper especially when he is getting frustrated like he does playing for England and will play on it.

Dont get me wrong, i would love to think we had enough fire power to not depend on Rooney, i just dont see it tho.

How many magic moments has Rooney produced at international level? To counter i ask how many has Bent, Welbeck or Sturridge? The difference being we know Rooney is capable of it.

This isn't just about football though is it. He has let us down AGAIN!

If we always do the same thing we will always get the same ending. Rooney is an idiot who doesn't produce for England. I hope Capello has got the balls to try something different. Staying loyal to playing like Rooney is holding England back. He has had a raft of opportunities and hasn't taken them. Lets try something else, what is there to lose?

If we take him and get to the knockout rounds, he might then take the place of a striker who got us there, will spend the whole game dropping way too deep, getting frustrated, coming even deeper and not giving us an outlet upfront.

At Villa we know that there is a great player inside Stephen Ireland somewhere but how many chances do you give him? The fact that Rooney is a total prick of the highest order makes the decision (for me) a little bit easier to make.

I'm with Tamuff_Villa on this debate. I'd leave him at home, maybe he will get it in his thick head that he can't keep acting like a thug on the pitch. What is the point of picking a player who is gong to be unavailable for half of the tournament, and may not be available until we're on our way home. The Euros has no easy games so we can't take it for granted that we'll get past the group stages. Maybe without Rooney in the team we'll become more of a team, instead of trying to rely on one man.

Take him, but don't build the team around him before the tournament.

Do not plan for him to walk back into the line up.

Use him as a bonus, a super sub to decide games towards the end.

Rooney should be sent on holiday to build up energy while the rest are preparing.

To make him sit in camp and watch the wall would be insanely stupid.

Bring him back after the group stage and just release him on the opponents when he's needed.

Rooney should be sent on holiday to build up energy while the rest are preparing.

To make him sit in camp and watch the wall would be insanely stupid.

Bring him back after the group stage and just release him on the opponents when he's needed

What about the other 'fringe' players in the squad? Is it ok for them to stare at the walls?

I'm guessing not, so whilst they train hard and try to catch the managers eye he will be sunning himself on the beach in Dubai or the Caribean until he flies in on a private jet then stroll into camp and grab his shirt. Terrible idea.

What happens if (big if) England fly through the groups in style?

Is he instantly back in the team for the Quarters?

Not for me, but what an option to have on the bench if we need a goal with 30 minutes to play.

'Zackly. :thumb:

Imagine this scenario

We set the group stages alight and have 2 strikers playing together providing we play 4-4-2 who are on fire and score alot of goals they have great chemistry and work together well.. Do we drop one of them because Rooney is available? No denying he's a quality player but would it be worth upsetting what we have built up through the group stages for the sake of one player doesnt the way the team plays as a unit matter more than a single individual

Tough decision glad im not the manager.

Imagine this scenario

We set the group stages alight and have 2 strikers playing together providing we play 4-4-2 who are on fire and score alot of goals they have great chemistry and work together well.. Do we drop one of them because Rooney is available?

Nope. But surely you'd be mad not to have him on the bench, to bring on if needed?

Quarters or Semi's of the Euro Champs. A goal down against Germany say. Half an hour to go. Sturridge and Wellbeck running out of ideas.

Surely not to have a fit and fired up shrek on the bench for that scenario would be crazy?

Imagine this scenario

We set the group stages alight and have 2 strikers playing together providing we play 4-4-2 who are on fire and score alot of goals they have great chemistry and work together well.. Do we drop one of them because Rooney is available?

Nope. But surely you'd be mad not to have him on the bench, to bring on if needed?

Quarters or Semi's of the Euro Champs. A goal down against Germany say. Half an hour to go. Sturridge and Wellbeck running out of ideas.

Surely not to have a fit and fired up shrek on the bench for that scenario would be crazy?

And this is why it's a no brainer.

Not taking you only world class forward to the European Champianships!?!? Barmy.

He has to go in reality.

When you consider some of the dross that will probably make the squad, it would be crazy not to take him. I'd find it very difficult to accept that giving the place to someone like Carroll would be beneficial for the team's chances of success.

I would not even entertain not taking him!

Even if he cant play in the group stages the rest of the team should be good enough to qualify without him. After that who would you rather have available to change a game, Rooney or Crouch/Zamora?

People using the loss of a squad place as an argument should remember how often does the 4th choice striker get on the pitch anyway?

He does not deserve to go, give his place to someone else.

Oh and I agree that we need to drop some of the older players from the midfield and inject some exuberance in there. Parker and Wilshere or maybe even Milner (if only he was playing regularly for his club side).

I would not even entertain not taking him!

Even if he cant play in the group stages the rest of the team should be good enough to qualify without him. After that who would you rather have available to change a game, Rooney or Crouch/Zamora?

People using the loss of a squad place as an argument should remember how often does the 4th choice striker get on the pitch anyway?

This post sums up my feelings pretty well.

There will be players in the squad who won't even make the bench for any of the games. There's little point in dropping Rooney in the name of fairness and justice, because that won't win us anything.

Â