Rooney thread

wiggyrichard

Take him in the squad or leave him at home?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Take him in the squad or leave him at home?

• Yes, he must be in the squad
    • No, we're good enough to cope without him

Nice and simple.

Looks like he has been handed a 3 game ban for his brain fart that occured in the last group game against Montenegro. If the FA appeal it could be reduce to 2 games or worst case it could be extended to 4 games.

So with the strikers we have available (at this moment in time), do we think Cappello should still take him?

No brainer for me, he has to go. Far and away our best player.

I wouldnt take him. Not because were good enough without him like the poll states, but because I dont think he deserves to go. He's a liability in terms of his temperament, was woeful in SA 2010, (like most, but thats another topic), and I would rather see a Bent, Sturridge, Gabby or Welbeck get a good chance.

100% has to go.

he's our best player by some distance, truly top drawer.

If we get through the group, then he comes back into the reckoning. If we don't, then the other players haven't been good enough anyway.

If we line up in the Quarters with Shrek either in the team or on the bench, we're a far stronger outfit than without him.

This news will also now give the likes of Sturridge to stake his claim. He's got a big future ahead of him, that chap.

I wouldnt take him. Not because were good enough without him like the poll states, but because I dont think he deserves to go. He's a liability in terms of his temperament, was woeful in SA 2010, (like most, but thats another topic), and I would rather see a Bent, Sturridge, Gabby or Welbeck get a good chance.

Agree with this completely.

Whilst he is possibly our best player AT CLUB LEVEL, he has let the nation down and I'd be so proud if we made an example of him. He never really offers much for England anyway. Take a hungrier player instead.

Interestingly, we have a higher win ratio without Shrek in the team than with him:

Win %

With Shrek - 60.3% (73 games)

Without Shrek - 69% (29 games)

OK - those figures don't tell the whole sotry, and the opposition may have been easier in those games shrek didn't play, I don't know.

But I think it shows it's not all doom and gloom without him ...

Take a hungrier player instead.

What evidence do you have that shrek is not hungry/doesn't give 100% when representing his country?

If anything, the opposite may be true. He gives too much on the pitch IMO, which is where he sometimes lets himself down.

But Neil, i would say a hungrier player like Sturridge, Bent or Welbeck is still some distance behind Rooney. He is the only player we have who can change a game in a split second.

Agree with the general sentiment here Wiggs, but I would also debate why you think those players are 'hungrier'? Shrek never gives anything other than 100% in an England shirt for me.

He's a liability in terms of his temperament

perhaps the most powerful argument for not taking him, that.

I'm sure most of us thought he's put these things behind him, and "grown up".

That worry is still there ....

Another line of thought would be that whoever starts up front for England, assuming they do well and England qualify for the quarters, why should any of them then be dropped for Shrek?

Say Sturridge and Wellbeck for example both start and do well, why then drop one of them for Shrek. What sort of message does that give the rest of the squad ....

can't see us getting through the group anyway, unless we get a joke group (e.g. poland/ukraine plus estonia or one of the poorer teams from the playoffs)

think we would struggle to get through in a lot of potential group combinations even with rooney

that said we have taken deadwood to nearly all of the tournaments we have qualified for in my lifetime, so maybe he can be the deadwood this year

I think its more of a case of us dropping Gerrard Fat Frank and Barry on their faces and not taking them to the euro's

Past it and far too slow we should follow germany's example in the last world cup and take young and hungry players with a point to prove look at our midfield last time we played them it was a joke Ozil and Khedira made Barry look like a tortoise and they wripped us apart on the counter attack with real pace i see no pace when i look at the centre of the park for england

I think a lot will depend on the friendlies before the tournament.

The forwards gel as a coherent unit, look creative and score a few goals in the process? Adios Wazza.

The forwards look stale, turgid, out of ideas and not scoring? Dont think Capello has much choice.

But Neil, i would say a hungrier player like Sturridge, Bent or Welbeck is still some distance behind Rooney. He is the only player we have who can change a game in a split second.

Agree with the general sentiment here Wiggs, but I would also debate why you think those players are 'hungrier'? Shrek never gives anything other than 100% in an England shirt for me.

It was in reference to what Neil said Jon, that he would rather a hungrier player go in his place. What i should have said was that anyone of those 3 i mentioned in tip top form, is still some way behind Rooney.

I agree with you tho Jon lad, i think Rooney gets a little over eager and if anything tries too hard instead of relaxing and enjoying it like he seems to with Utd.

Another line of thought would be that whoever starts up front for England, assuming they do well and England qualify for the quarters, why should any of them then be dropped for Shrek?

Say Sturridge and Wellbeck for example both start and do well, why then drop one of them for Shrek. What sort of message does that give the rest of the squad ....

Simple answer, because Rooney is world class and they're not. As ive said before, any of them 3 in tip top form are still some distance behind Rooney.

Rooney = match winner

In 73 games for England I can't reacall many of these moments. He does it regularly for Utd but not for England.

I think Welbeck could be the secret weapon we need. A relatively unknown commodity of undoubted quality.

The whole world knows Rooney has a temper especially when he is getting frustrated like he does playing for England and will play on it.

waste of a spot as England usually only take 4 strikers and in all honesty probably wont make it out of group.

Capelo should wait until draw is made. If its an easy enough group take him but if 3 tough teams its a waste

Â