Xbox One

hogso

Do you honestly believe that PSN will be free on the PS4?   If Microsoft have proved anything this generation it's that people will pay for online access on consoles. 

Do you honestly believe that PSN will be free on the PS4?   If Microsoft have proved anything this generation it's that people will pay for online access on consoles. 

To be honest, I just assumed it would be a given. I think Microsoft were able to charge for it initially because the service was considerably better than PSN. But we as customers now expect to access online features such as Lovefilm and Facebook for free from any device. (Obviously with Lovefilm you pay a fee to Lovefilm, but you shouldnt have to pay a fee to give you access to the service you've already bought.)

If google started making you have to pay for a Gold Membership to access things like Skygo, Netflix and Lovefilm the world would go mad. Microsoft shouldn't be able to get away with it. I can understand them making consumers need a Gold Membership for gaming online, fair enough, but not third party apps which are free on PC. (Then again, online gaming is free on a PC too).

The thing is, Sony have gone on and provided a paid for online service that is really good value, alongside the free one. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do, and I dearly hope they keep the same model as now. PS+ is wonderful, they just need to tidy up the interface. A lot.

What's the problem with them calling it an "entertainment system"? It pretty much is though, right?

I never mentioned what they called it, I mentioned only how they're positioning it. Games are taking a back seat for the device. It's  going to be 65% focused on streaming channels, web browsing and kinect. The games are almost an afterthought. You'll see exactly what I mean next month

To be honest, I just assumed it would be a given. I think Microsoft were able to charge for it initially because the service was considerably better than PSN. But we as customers now expect to access online features such as Lovefilm and Facebook for free from any device. (Obviously with Lovefilm you pay a fee to Lovefilm, but you shouldnt have to pay a fee to give you access to the service you've already bought.)

If google started making you have to pay for a Gold Membership to access things like Skygo, Netflix and Lovefilm the world would go mad. Microsoft shouldn't be able to get away with it. I can understand them making consumers need a Gold Membership for gaming online, fair enough, but not third party apps which are free on PC. (Then again, online gaming is free on a PC too).

Huh, please explaine this to me.

Huh, please explaine this to me.

To watch things such as Lovefilm and Netflix on your xbox you need to pay for a Gold Membership. So if Google charged you for a Gold Membership in Chrome for the browser to get access to such sites the world wouldn't be happy. Microsoft shouldn't charge you for using other companies services, is what i'm getting at. 

Aha, thought you were talking about the google search engine, didn't think of the fact that they also have a browser.  Now I'm with you!
Thanks for the clarification :D

Rumours floating about that this wont require an "always online connection". I don't know what to believe anymore. Hope MS come out with something concrete soon.

Aha, thought you were talking about the google search engine, didn't think of the fact that they also have a browser.  Now I'm with you!

Thanks for the clarification :D

Sorry I should have been more specific, was posting in a rush :)

Rumours floating about that this wont require an "always online connection". I don't know what to believe anymore. Hope MS come out with something concrete soon.

Yeah there's a lot of speculation. I read another rumour that the new Xbox will have a HDMI pass-through connection to act as a PVR device. So I assume in the UK we could link our Sky box to it and watch Sky on the xbox without streaming maybe? Not sure. 

Edited by PieFacE

One's things for certain, I'll be waiting a good few years before I decide to buy one of the next-gen consoles unless there is a pretty hefty warranty in place. I'm not going through all this shit again while they figure out how to make one that won't grill a steak!!

4.jpg

Edited by flamingsombrero

Yeah there's a lot of speculation. I read another rumour that the new Xbox will have a HDMI pass-through connection to act as a PVR device. So I assume in the UK we could link our Sky box to it and watch Sky on the xbox without streaming maybe? Not sure. 

Why would you watch Sky on your Xbox if you've got a sky box?

One's things for certain, I'll be waiting a good few years before I decide to buy one of the next-gen consoles unless there is a pretty hefty warranty in place. I'm not going through all this shit again while they figure out how to make one that won't grill a steak!!

Learn your rights.

**** knows. Saves changing the channel? Have an "all in one" media center? Dunno really... some seem to think it would be a really good feature though. Think i'll just change the channel myself. 

**** knows. Saves changing the channel? Have an "all in one" media center? Dunno really... some seem to think it would be a really good feature though. Think i'll just change the channel myself. 

Might open up features that people don't have on their tv, like picture in picture. Who knows?

Yeah, chat features/Skype when watching Sky, using the Xbox HD to record programmes, I guess you could use it as a Sky+ box if you don't have a Sky+ box?

I'm guessing that "let's all watch each other watching TV/playing games and talk about the TV we are watching/games we are playing while we do it" will be pushed pretty hard as a FEATURE. Sounds **** horrific to me, mind.

Yeah, chat features/Skype when watching Sky, using the Xbox HD to record programmes, I guess you could use it as a Sky+ box if you don't have a Sky+ box?

I'm guessing that "let's all watch each other watching TV/playing games and talk about the TV we are watching/games we are playing while we do it" will be pushed pretty hard as a FEATURE. Sounds **** horrific to me, mind.

I'd rather be in the pub with mates talking about how horrendous this all is I think

Edited by islingtonclaret

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So it's tomorrow then. Will anyone be watching? Had never watched a full one of these presentations before, but the PS4 one just about bored me tears. I might watch the first 10/20 minutes and then gb2b.

Edited by hogso

Â