Xbox One

hogso

Bleh.

A lot of bluster saying nothing. I think judgement is reserved until E3/they release more details of precisely what's going on behind the scenes - the actual specs, any infrastructure stuff, etc etc. I'll give it this - I don't mind the way it looks.

The kinect being there is, well... expected, but infuriating. It's a shit idea and always will be, and arguably might continue to be shit if the technology expands beyond just being a glorified camera and mic.

Bleh.

A lot of bluster saying nothing. I think judgement is reserved until E3/they release more details of precisely what's going on behind the scenes - the actual specs, any infrastructure stuff, etc etc. I'll give it this - I don't mind the way it looks.

The kinect being there is, well... expected, but infuriating. It's a shit idea and always will be, and arguably might continue to be shit if the technology expands beyond just being a glorified camera and mic.

Shit because you don't like it or? It's not my thing, but i know plenty of people who use it and enjoy it alot more than i do.

Bleh.

Shit because you don't like it or? It's not my thing, but i know plenty of people who use it and enjoy it alot more than i do.

I personally don't like it but I also believe it's just fundamentally a shite idea. Especially as it just doesn't work very well. I don't expect an improved/better version to much improve it's actual use. It does an extremely small number of things even vaguely competently, and of those does even fewer genuinely well, just because of it's very conceptual basis as a camera, in effect.

It's easy to be overly critical with these things, I guess. I consider myself to be a pretty normal mid-20s gamer, other than I'm not in to FPSs all that much. 70% of what they were talking about I have zero interest in. Living room, TV, recording gameplay, Skype, fantasy football, all that, nah.

It's rather ironic, then, that the thing that piqued my interest the most was talk of a Halo TV series. Some actual, genuine potential for that to be a decent watch if they go about it the right way. I'm going to go ahead and presume that I'm not going to need an XONE to watch it, even if I went about having a look at it by 'other' means.

So, as an average mid-20s gamer, how am I going to decide between PS4 and XONE? The first thing, honestly, is price. It's a big thing, there's lots in there, every single one bundled with that new kinect = major $$$, surely?

Oh, and

The dog dies in COD Ghosts. You know, so you care about them  etc.

Edited by hogso

Wired are saying that they've had it confirmed that games are tied to an account - you install the game no matter what (which if that is the case 500gb HDD is possibly too small) and then don't need the disc. If the disc is then used with a second account it requests a install fee to work, after which the second account also has full access.

I'd be interested to see if thats the case, and how it works if so.

Wired are saying that they've had it confirmed that games are tied to an account - you install the game no matter what (which if that is the case 500gb HDD is possibly too small) and then don't need the disc. If the disc is then used with a second account it requests a install fee to work, after which the second account also has full access.

That's not workable unless the fee is substantial. Otherwise it means I buy a game for £40, install it, sell it to you for £20, you install it, pay the fee, sell it to your mate for £20 etc

Or it means me and 4 mates can go in and buy one copy, then pay the small fee each and install from the one disc

It's easy to be overly critical with these things, I guess. I consider myself to be a pretty normal mid-20s gamer, other than I'm not in to FPSs all that much. 70% of what they were talking about I have zero interest in. Living room, TV, recording gameplay, Skype, fantasy football, all that, nah.

It's rather ironic, then, that the thing that piqued my interest the most was talk of a Halo TV series. Some actual, genuine potential for that to be a decent watch if they go about it the right way. I'm going to go ahead and presume that I'm not going to need an XONE to watch it, even if I went about having a look at it by 'other' means.

So, as an average mid-20s gamer, how am I going to decide between PS4 and XONE? The first thing, honestly, is price. It's a big thing, there's lots in there, every single one bundled with that new kinect = major $$$, surely?

Oh, and

The dog dies in COD Ghosts. You know, so you care about them  etc.

If what you want is games, then just watch E3. They wont be showing any more Hardware stuff, just games.

black tusk have confirmed they are showing their 1st game for it at E3 which should be the highlight, not sure what MS do for their conference now, Nintendo aren't doing one, will be Sony's E3 for the taking with the big reveal

That's not workable unless the fee is substantial. Otherwise it means I buy a game for £40, install it, sell it to you for £20, you install it, pay the fee, sell it to your mate for £20 etc

Or it means me and 4 mates can go in and buy one copy, then pay the small fee each and install from the one disc

That was my thought.

I do think Wired might have gotten their wires crossed. Will need some elaboration - apparently there are a few hardware specific bits going on shortly so we might get some hard facts rather than PR bluster.

Oh, and

The dog dies in COD Ghosts. You know, so you care about them etc.

If what you want is games, then just watch E3. They wont be showing any more Hardware stuff, just games.

Like I said, it's easy to be critical now. I only comment on what I've seen so far, after all.

Â