Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

And now we're not even shite enough to go down a level. We are the turd that won't flush.

Watched 1st half was dire, Knight looked good and maybe Manning but the rest werent up to much. Collins not mobile enough and Brady a joke

Premier League bandwagon fams already want Kenny out and want McCarthy style of play back 🙄

• 4 months later...

I watched "Finding Jack Charlton" last night. So sad that dementia had robbed him of so many of his memories by the end. Some great interviews with Paul and Andy about playing for Jack and some great footage of the big  games. I loved a moment when a reporter asked Jack what managing Ireland meant to him and he replied with a glint in his eye, and a big grin to the camera "Do you mean financially?" :D Catch it on BBCi if you can. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

I watched "Finding Jack Charlton" last night. So sad that dementia had robbed him of so many of his memories by the end. Some great interviews with Paul and Andy about playing for Jack and some great footage of the big  games. I loved a moment when a reporter asked Jack what managing Ireland meant to him and he replied with a glint in his eye, and a big grin to the camera "Do you mean financially?" :D Catch it on BBCi if you can. 

What amazed me was that the footage he watched on the laptop he can't remember most of it but still had a glint in his eye and smiled and said Paul McGrath!  Really touching moment.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an obsession with the Ireland football team. I know they are terrible, but I've been following them religiously for years. I have an interest in any game an irish player plays in and i have huge hope for any young irish player.

At the moment, Troy Parrott for Spurs on loan at MK Dons is supposed to be the next best thing. And there are a few other young players in the PL - Omobamidele and Idah for Norwich, Collins for Burnley, Bazunu on loan at Portsmouth from Man City.

It could be an exciting few years watching them all develop, but I've been down this road before and you're just left with Enda Stevens, JDH, Jack Grealish and Declan Rice.

The FIFA 22 stats have revealed ireland with no player higher than 78 and the top 6 in terms of potential include 2 keepers and 3 defenders ranging in potential from 82 to 80, so not exactly blessed with talent.

Hoping we can scraoe a win against the azeris

1 hour ago, YLN said:

I have an obsession with the Ireland football team. I know they are terrible, but I've been following them religiously for years. I have an interest in any game an irish player plays in and i have huge hope for any young irish player.

At the moment, Troy Parrott for Spurs on loan at MK Dons is supposed to be the next best thing. And there are a few other young players in the PL - Omobamidele and Idah for Norwich, Collins for Burnley, Bazunu on loan at Portsmouth from Man City.

It could be an exciting few years watching them all develop, but I've been down this road before and you're just left with Enda Stevens, JDH, Jack Grealish and Declan Rice.

The FIFA 22 stats have revealed ireland with no player higher than 78 and the top 6 in terms of potential include 2 keepers and 3 defenders ranging in potential from 82 to 80, so not exactly blessed with talent.

Hoping we can scraoe a win against the azeris

Troy Parrott is all hype with a dreadful attitude. He wont make it

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Troy Parrott is all hype with a dreadful attitude. He wont make it

I think his attitude is better than Aaron Connolly, but obviously he's no James Milner. Why do you think he has a bad attitude?

I cannot stand Aaron Connolly, and assumed it was him that had gotten into bother last night, but it wasn't

3 minutes ago, YLN said:

I think his attitude is better than Aaron Connolly, but obviously he's no James Milner. Why do you think he has a bad attitude?

I cannot stand Aaron Connolly, and assumed it was him that had gotten into bother last night, but it wasn't

He is the opposite of Connolly, Connolly works hard, runs the channels but no composure. Parrott on the other hand does none of this and looks lazy. Maybe League 1 will wake him up to reality

As for his attutude well he hangs around with some bad eggs and Mourinho called him out on it from his time at Spurs

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is the opposite of Connolly, Connolly works hard, runs the channels but no composure. Parrott on the other hand does none of this and looks lazy. Maybe League 1 will wake him up to reality

As for his attutude well he hangs around with some bad eggs and Mourinho called him out on it from his time at Spurs

Ah yes I forgot that. 

He has done OK so far in League 1 this season, but that article that came out yesterday about Spurs not needing to replace Harry Kane, because TP is ready to step up won't have done his attitude or feeling the need to impress at MK Dons any good

I take far more enjoyment following Ireland in qualifying for major tournaments than I do England.

It actually matters for Ireland. Getting to tournaments is a big deal and they don't do it that regularly so there seems to be a lot more meaning to their games than watching England which is just the monotony of qualifying all the time and then being shit at tournaments.

I hope Ireland sort themselves out, would love to see them back at a tournament

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

They're both terrible.

If you put both of their best attributes together you'd have the makings of a....equally shit footballer.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I take far more enjoyment following Ireland in qualifying for major tournaments than I do England.

It actually matters for Ireland. Getting to tournaments is a big deal and they don't do it that regularly so there seems to be a lot more meaning to their games than watching England which is just the monotony of qualifying all the time and then being shit at tournaments.

I hope Ireland sort themselves out, would love to see them back at a tournament

Not shit, though :)

I hope Ireland get better, it would be good for them to qualify again.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not shit, though :)

I hope Ireland get better, it would be good for them to qualify again.

Oh yeah we’re not shit now. But historically we have been. Too good for qualifying and too shit for tournaments

• Like 1

Ireland with a great 3-0 win away to Azerbaijan with 2 goals from former villa player Callum Robinson.

Connolly didn't play and Parrott only got 3 minutes. A couple of lads who are right on the cusp of throwing their careers away by my reckoning. 

They couldn't get in the team ahead of an unwell Idah, James McClean or League 1 Horgan, who was dreadful. Connolly is about ready to make his move to Peterborough I predict

Another good result last night while playing decent football. The last two games are of course caveated by the quality of opposition, but, remember the games against Gibraltar in the last campaign. The team seems to be developing, has a clear plan at least, and with time seems to be improving. Even James McClean is making better decisions on the ball.😄

The two games in the next window will tell a lot, as Luxembourg can no longer be described as a surprise, and Portugal are way above the quality of Azerbaijan and Qatar. I will say one thing though - watching this team with a mixture of youth and experience develop while trying to play decent football is a hell of a lot more interesting than watching Shane Long and Scott Hogan miscontrol the ball every time the ball goes forward while having no one within 50 yards of them.

Agreed @sparrow1988. We're really good to watch and there's a new generation coming through together with a decent bit of ability there. I think the poor recent opponents will be a benefit because you need to get a few wins under your belt and build up a bit of belief and confidence at some point. Those matches came along at exactly the right time in Kenny's tenure. The players will at least see now that this approach can work. It almost nearly worked against 12-man Portugal the other week.

• Like 1

Â