Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Under 21 playing fine stuff under Kenny, destroyed Sweden last night. 

Ireland back 4 and keeper are fine, conceded about 5 in qualifying. Lack of anything in attack is the issue. McGoldrick is a good targetman but has no creativity or midfield runners to support him. Latter is surprising as Hourihane and Browne are goalscoring midfielders 

• 3 weeks later...

the potential death of Irish football, Delaney is the Irish Xia

FAI accounts: Governing body reveals liabilities of more than 55m euro

The Football Association of Ireland has revealed that it has current net liabilities of more than 55m euro.

The Republic of Ireland's football governing body made the disclosure as it released its annual accounts for 2018 in Dublin.

It was also revealed that former CEO John Delaney's severance settlement amounted to 462,000 euro, which included a pension payment.

The FAI said it cannot guarantee its ability to continue as a going concern.

Speaking at the association's headquarters, FAI executive lead Paul Cooke said the body will remortgage the Aviva Stadium debt until 2034.

Cooke also stated that the FAI is in very advanced stages of re-financing the organisation but is currently unable to provide any details.

"Standing here, these results give me no pleasure at all," Cooke said.

"I have said a lot in the past but these results are a lot worse than what I would have thought. I see this as a key moment, one that we can hopefully move on from."

Earlier on Friday, the FAI announced that Donal Conway will step down as president of the governing body in January, with his successor to be announced at an EGM on 25 January.

It emerged in March that Delaney had given the FAI a 100,000 euro loan

He was re-elected as President for a one-year term in July, a decision which Minister for Sport Shane Ross expressed disappointment at.

Ross had called for all board members connected with now-departed chief executive Delaney to leave the association to restore public trust.

Speaking at Friday's announcement of the annual accounts, Conway said he is hopeful that independent directors will be introduced to the FAI board before the AGM on 29 December.

"The board I was a member of as a collective did not do their job well enough," said Conway, who sat on the board from 2005.

"We are committed and definitely on the road to reform."

He added that he is disappointed with the figures and "wasn't aware the financial situation was as stark as presented today".

The FAI has been in crisis since news emerged in March of a 100,000 euro loan given to them by Delaney.

A number of investigations are ongoing into the financial affairs of the FAI, and government funding has also been suspended since Delaney's departure from the association in September.

Earlier this week, the Minister for Sport said the FAI needed a "complete cleanout" after John Foley looked set to be appointed interim FAI chief executive on Monday but then declined the role.

Vice-president Cooke was then appointed to what the FAI described as "executive lead for the next couple of weeks".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50688047

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Mick McCarthy shown the door by Ireland, his replacement was signed up from July 2020 anyway

Didn't think Niall Quinn had the guts, I am sure Mick will pick up a Championship club soon

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Didn't think Niall Quinn had the guts, I am sure Mick will pick up a Championship club soon

I'd say it just came down to money. They probably couldn't afford to alter the  contracts. 

24 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Robbie Keane still has 2 years left on his term as a coach and it looks like he is not wanted by Kenny, understandably enough.

They could do worse than play him for the 2 years

Or just give him under 21 role

3 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Jim Crawford gets the U21 job, working his way up too. John O'Shea to assist. On Robbie Keane as much as an excellent player he was he never struck me as having the makings of a good coach or manager.

Him and Woodgate havent done much at Boro this season. 

Shows backwardsness of old FAI to give him an extension longer than the manager. 

Keith Andrews on board as well, he is a mouth on punditry but his coaching skills are highly regarded 

Making me feel very old all these old players being coaches now, Trap was still calling them all up a few years ago.:lol:

Whelan strikes me as the sort who'll be a good manager once he packs in playing.

Is Steven Reid involved, he's been a coach in England for quite a while now.

• 6 months later...

Ireland have now scored a ridiculous 9 goals in the last 17 competitive games including 2 games vs the mighty Gibraltar

They also havent beaten a team that isnt Gibraltar or Georgia since October 2017

25 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

How do they have so little up front? Is it just a case of waiting and hoping for Troy Parrott to live up to the hype at this point?

forward options are really limited at the moment are McGoldrick, Idah, Long, Parrott(who is injured), Maguire, Connolly and of course the best of the best Scott Hogan

I would guess between them they probably got to 20 league goals last season

• 1 month later...

Preparations are well under way for Wednesday’s 0-0 draw with Bulgaria.

Irish camp deny claims of shot on target during training

Irish camp deny claims of shot on target during training

stephenkennny-scaled.jpg

Irish football chiefs are taking legal advice over claims that Republic of Ireland players managed a shot on target during a training session this morning.

Stephen Kenny’s men arrived in Dublin yesterday to begin preparations for Wednesday’s 0-0 draw with Bulgaria.

The Football Association of Ireland has described the allegations, made in The Sofia Echo, as ‘baseless’ and have vowed to take the matter further.

Wednesday’s Nations League clash with Bulgaria marks 18 years since the Republic of Ireland last mustered a shot on goal.

Goalkeeper Darren Randolph, who took part in this morning’s session, strenuously denied the claims.

“A load of absolute nonsense,” snapped the 33-year-old West Ham veteran.

The former Motherwell ‘keeper also revealed he was sent-off during the first half of an 11v11 game which ended 0-0.

“Mark Travers has just punted one up the pitch and I’ve come rushing out of my box to punch the ball,” he explained.

“I dunno why I did it? Bored sh*less I suppose. Anyway, we were playing under match conditions so I got my marching orders.

“The gaffer decided not to bring on a sub goalie. Maybe he wanted to see if the other team could seize the advantage?

“Alas, they still couldn’t score,” sighed the ex-Birmingham City No1.

More in link...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, BOF said:

Bulgaria are missing around 15 players for this match. I think this one might have negative scoring.

Ireland supposed to be missing 13 players too. Just shows you how stupid these international matches are. Oddly enough if we lose tonight we will have a much better chance of qualifying for the Euro's as we will be relegated down to the lower Tier where might actually win some games and get into the playoff. It will mean that we are seeded lower for the World Cup draw but we won't qualify for the world cup anyway so it doesn't really matter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

Ireland supposed to be missing 13 players too. Just shows you how stupid these international matches are. Oddly enough if we lose tonight we will have a much better chance of qualifying for the Euro's as we will be relegated down to the lower Tier where might actually win some games and get into the playoff. It will mean that we are seeded lower for the World Cup draw but we won't qualify for the world cup anyway so it doesn't really matter. 

Has Euro 2024 qualifying from the Nations League been decided? Might work like Euro 2020 qualifying, or might be more like the World Cup system, if not.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Has Euro 2024 qualifying from the Nations League been decided? Might work like Euro 2020 qualifying, or might be more like the World Cup system, if not.

UEFA want the Nations League to be a serious competition so I imagine they will. It was developed so countries like North Macedonia could qualify

Â