Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

So when does Stephen Kenny take over?? 

whenever this campaign ends so probably November ;)

Hopefully never see McClean in an Ireland shirt again, Hendrick as well

At the risk of boring everyone to death, think it's possible they might still get a play off place.

That is such a wierd system, there was talk Azerbaijan could qualify for a play off place because of what they did in nations league, they are currently bottom of Wales group with one point.

• 1 month later...

That's away I take it? Wales got a comfortable 1-1 there and you've gone to Denmark and got a draw who are a better team (as are Swiss).

Stick Whelan on Hamsik and that's most of their main attacking threat. Didn't really understand McClean or Hendrick starting the other night though.

Slovakia arent special, a team past the peak with Skrtel and Hamsik. Saw them lose badly to a weak Czech team not so long ago 

Wales was the team I feared from pot, others are beatable. Ireland vs Norn Iron final could be nasty

I hadn't watched any Ireland games for ages until the game the other night, and what struck me was the extent to which Stevens and Doherty are just better than everyone else. Playing a system that allows them to get forward and into the box looks like the only way to get that team to actually score goals. 

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think Bosnia are favourites from that section given they'll be home in both games (I think) and have Dzeko and Pjanic, not great at the back though. ROI did beat them comfortably last time they played them in the play offs though.

Is a draw tomorrow i think to see who will host the playoff final 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I hadn't watched any Ireland games for ages until the game the other night, and what struck me was the extent to which Stevens and Doherty are just better than everyone else. Playing a system that allows them to get forward and into the box looks like the only way to get that team to actually score goals. 

Doherty has actually hardly played in this campaign, Seamus Coleman is still first choice at RB. Think Dothery was tried one match at right midfield and it didn't work.

It would make sense though given Sheffield, Wolves, Brighton and to a lesser extent Newcastle all play 3-5-2 for ROI to play that given they have 6-7 players from those teams. Interesting to see what Kenny does in next two years.

• Like 1

Â