The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Agree fully, IF the fans undermine / barrack the manager in public all it does is give carte blanche for the players such as Dunne / Collins / Warnock / Ireland to go "OFF THE RAILS" again

I've arrived at the conclusion we just need to back the manager & forget where he came from. It's taken me 6 months but I've got there (or the club have ground me down :lol: )

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Mr Lerner is the best owner in my lifetime, because he has done much to arrest the decay of the club in general.

He also hired a manager who was a popular choice with many, and gave him complete backing, which has turned out to be a costly mistake, but Mr Lerner's mistake nonetheless.

Who was that out of curiosity ?

You can't get away from the fact that because of the general financial situation both in the country and within the game, he has not had much financial backing and is working with a significently lower quality squad than Houllier. It's very obvious now that one of the main reasons that he was brought in was that he was an established Premier League Manager who would agree and stick to the 'trade carefully' and 'utilise the youth' policies.

We have to accept that these are the policies that our Club (and others) are operating within. There maybe some light at the tunnel in the summer when some of the high wage earners come to the end of their current contracts and maybe the odd other high earner is moved on.

McLeish is here to see the policy through and I have to stick to my mantra; whether you wanted him or not (and 99.9999% seemingly didn't), he is the manager of Aston Villa and as such we have to get behind him!

What targets do we think the board have given him?

Privately? Play the kids, work within the budget, trim the wages and get rid of the unwanted players. Stay in the league and anything else is a bonus.

Publicly? Well we saw the comments from Faulkner only nobody including McLeish took them seriously.

I guess in terms of your question as to what constitutes success for him, as far as Randy is concerned if he does the former I guess he will be happy. I'm not sure it will be enough for the fans or enough to get the fans behind the manager and board though.

You can't get away from the fact that because of the general financial situation both in the country and within the game, he has not had much financial backing and is working with a significently lower quality squad than Houllier. It's very obvious now that one of the main reasons that he was brought in was that he was an established Premier League Manager who would agree and stick to the 'trade carefully' and 'utilise the youth' policies.

We have to accept that these are the policies that our Club (and others) are operating within. There maybe some light at the tunnel in the summer when some of the high wage earners come to the end of their current contracts and maybe the odd other high earner is moved on.

McLeish is here to see the policy through and I have to stick to my mantra; whether you wanted him or not (and 99.9999% seemingly didn't), he is the manager of Aston Villa and as such we have to get behind him!

No we dont!

Thats a bit like saying to the Iraqi people Saddam is the President so get behind him.

You earn respect and so far he hasnt. Its that simple.

With the greatest respect, your comparison is ridiculous. I didn't say respect him, particularly if you can't. All I said is support him in these circumstnces. Getting on his back will do nothing for the Club we love. And whilst you won't agree and he wasn't my choice either; he is not the worst candidiate we could have appointed.

Oh i had forgot you are the bizarely MON obsessed and continual odd "MON was crap" and to blame for everything poster of the board.

Something else that you post wrong.

The bizarre obsession with O'Neill seems to come from the people who cannot accept that he has gone, and have not been prepared to give either of his successors a chance.

On the record again, I have always thought that O'Neill was crap (although I gave him a chance), and I smile when I see people slag off McLeish, whose CV and style of football are almost a mirror of O'Neill's.

I smile also when our current 'problems' are used as a measure of the 'success' of finishing 6th for three seasons on the trot, for two of which at least there was a complete failure to show improvement.

I don't, and never have, blamed O'Neill for everything. It was not his fault that he was handed responsibility that was above his capabilities, and he cannot be blamed for acting like a child in a sweet shop.

My opinion (this board is about opinions, in case you have missed that) is that given the backing that he received, pound for pound, O'Neill has to be on the list of worst Villa managers ever. Had he managed to improve upon that 6th place and overtaken Everton, or deliver us an odd Carling Cup, then perhaps we could look at his time differently.

He is a hero in Glasgow, Dublin and Leicester, all understandable, but the worship of him by some who frequent B6 is completely illogical.

Interesting post....l like you thought o,niell had his good bits....6,6,6 did not win me over, not being ungrateful, but for me it wasn,t what we did it was the way that we did it. When he walked out his 4years work lasted 5. Minutes hoof football has little shelf life......and that's where it left us after spending a decent sum to achieve it.

I,m with you on this subject.

Ps sorry about my previous attempt tried to do it on an ipad.... cause my backs gone....made a pigs ear of it.

No we dont!

Thats a bit like saying to the Iraqi people Saddam is the President so get behind him.

You earn respect and so far he hasnt. Its that simple.

You are right, respect is to be earned. That said, the opportunity to earn respect must also be given.

Should we, as supporters, have to earn McLeish's respect? I actually think that he has shown that unconditionally, so perhaps cutting him a bit of slack wouldn't go amiss.

At the moment with the squad we have, winning regularly and playing great football is asking for your cake and eating it tbh.

Unless Ireland or someone in midfield has a blinder and is creative I cannot see that happenin regularly.

I'd rather win at the moment and play ugly.

If we beat qpr and Bolton i will be a lot happier

You are right, respect is to be earned. That said, the opportunity to earn respect must also be given.

Should we, as supporters, have to earn McLeish's respect? I actually think that he has shown that unconditionally, so perhaps cutting him a bit of slack wouldn't go amiss.

I'd say lying to supporters like he did about Downing lacks respect. I'd that team and tactics against spurs lacked respect to not only the fans but the club. I'd say writing off the idea he plays boring football as a myth is a lack of respect to those many fans who think differently. And worst of all, I'd say some of the dreadful performances the team has made this season with him as manager is a lack of respect, too.

1.i believe that Downing 'lied' to all involved.

2. Team selections sometimes go wrong for all managers

3. His opinion differs to yours.

4. Again, 'dreadful performances' occur under all managers, but i am sure that none are deliberate, and fail to see the connection between same and 'respect'

the problem with the fans being against him is the atmos at villa park is full of hatred towards the players, against everton every pass that went backwards, or cross that was over hit was greeted with jeers, its not productive to create an environment like whats at VP at the moment.

So what did he say at HT? We've won this lads, just sit back and will be in the next round? A complete disgrace of a manager. We're now out of both cup ties early and nothing to show for it in the Premier League.

He bought his buddy Hutton for 4 million. Why does people want this manager to spend more money on rubbish like him? Do you even like Villa? No, the sooner he goes, the better. I don't want to see him building a squad full of shite where we'll get relegated.

Oh, and the people who kept blaming the fans because there wasn't much support. Well when we was 2-0 up, the Villa fans were really loud and yet they got punished with a **** disgraceful display in the second half. You cannot polish a turd with McLeish's tactics. It's literally impossible. Do you reckon Rangers and SHA fans actually miss him? Absoutely not. Stop with the insecurity issues just because he's our manager and see him for what he truly is. A horror story for AVFC.

he's had long enough to sort out a **** useless defence by now and still failing.

Hutton and Dunne are **** liabilities. I don't care about Dunne's good points when he so regularly and with such unnerring consistency drops clangers and fouls like a tosspiece - he's very much replaceable.

Warnock was half shite, but it's been 7 months now and there has been no regular discernable improvement. AMC is not earning his corn and needs to be put out to pasture.

To be fair player stupidity was more to blame then the tactics today.

1st goal Dunne didn't need to make the tackle.

2nd goal Warnock shouldn't have let Walcott past.

3rd goal where was Hutton and again a silly tackle by Bent.

After the 3rd we were useless though.

To be fair player stupidity was more to blame then the tactics today.

1st goal Dunne didn't need to make the tackle.

2nd goal Warnock shouldn't have let Walcott past.

3rd goal where was Hutton and again a silly tackle by Bent.

After the 3rd we were useless though.

Unfortunately too many of this stupidity this season. With that sort of errors surely manager and the coaching team will have to shoulder some of the blame

Â