Who Should be the Villa Captain this Season? (2011/12)

bickster

Who Should be the Villa Captain this Season?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should be the Villa Captain this Season?

• Warnock
    • Clark (someone already said this in another topic)
    • Gabby
    • Young
    • Dunne
    • Collins
    • N'Zogbia
    • Given
    • Bent
    • Petrov

The only problem is that he isnt involved with the outfield play which is somthing you need at times when you are captaining the side..

No you don't.

What if the ball is in the oppossition half and we are chasing the game and need that leader to step up offering drive, movement, intelligence, confidence? Bit difficult from between the posts at the other end of the field. Im not saying Keepers shouldnt EVER be captains, its just not always ideal in my view.

I think you'd hope you have characters who could do that whether they have an armband or not.

• 9 months later...
I agree.

I hope the captaincy goes to someone new coming into the club. Don't ask me who though.

I agree, i don`t tghink we have had a real captain since Andy Townsend.

I agree.

I hope the captaincy goes to someone new coming into the club. Don't ask me who though.

I agree, i don`t tghink we have had a real captain since Andy Townsend.

i think thats a bit harsh on Barry who was quite a good captain to be fair. Laursen was excellent as well, a real leader

nobody is worthy of the captains armband....

if i had to choose id say Given but i dont like GKs being captains....

a real statement from PL and the club would be to sign a well established, experienced and big name who on signing will be given the arm band publicly...

a real wake up call for the other players about how much needs to be done to turn this club around

I don't see any reason to change it. Petrov has been a good captain for us, the lads seem to like him, he has done nothing wrong and certainly nothing to take the armband off him. I don't see a better leader in the current squad.

Obviously if he cannot recover enough to play semi-regularly then that forces a change. Toss up for me then between Dunne and Given.

I don't see any reason to change it. Petrov has been a good captain for us, the lads seem to like him, he has done nothing wrong and certainly nothing to take the armband off him. I don't see a better leader in the current squad.

Obviously if he cannot recover enough to play semi-regularly then that forces a change. Toss up for me then between Dunne and Given.

Absolutely 0% chance you will see Petrov this season.

Petrov is highly unlikely to play a competitive game in a villa shirt again.

Given isn't the most vocal of goalkeeprs and doesnt always command his area, only on experience would he really get the captaincy.

Dunne? No thanks, shouldn't really play for the club again. Even if he did I just don't see a leader there. He is pretty quiet on the pitch (look at game vs west ham beginning 10/11 season dunne and clarke centre backs and clarke shouted more than Dunne) , is prone to a lot of errors and doesn't seem to care about the club.

Like others said don't think the captain is at the club, unless PL is going to build the team around the youth and then (big ask) it could go to Clarke or Gardner who have both led at reserve levels. Would be a lot of responsibility at such a young age, but could work wonders.

Absolutely 0% chance you will see Petrov this season.

Then that is an awful shame and a loss for Villa but Stan getting well is the most important thing.

Given or Dunne then for me.. I will go with Dunne as I prefer an outfield player as captain, just a personal preference.

I know some people will not forgive him (or Collins) for the drunken shennanigans but if we were to turn our backs on every prem player that had drunk too much and behaved irresponsibly then the league would consist of a dozen Muslim players and James Milner.

Time, for me anyway, to forgive and move on.

Stan was an excellent captain so it's a shame that he'll probably never play for us again. Dunne shouldn't even be at the club let alone captain. Can't believe he's being suggested. I really don't know who to suggest. Given is the only name that jumps out.

We have a huge lack of leaders at the club, there's literally no captain like figure at all. I would hope that Lambert might buy two or three 'leader' type players and form a new captain for his era.

personally I think Stan should be made club captain, he may not play again but I still think and hope he has a role to play at the club, especially as he is old mates with PL. As regards the starting 11 captain can we please stop talking up Dunne - if he is given the arm band that would indicate he has a future here, a calamity of a defender, tries hard but we need better. Am happy for him to stay another season if it means getting rid of at least 2 or preferably all of Hutton, Colins and Warnock but after the end of next season he needs to be gone for good. Back on topic out of the current players available I suppose I would go with Given, can't see anyone else really having the ability/character/experience but I don't like goal keepers as captain an hope as Richard said the next captain isn't here yet.