Who Should be the Villa Captain this Season? (2011/12)

bickster

Who Should be the Villa Captain this Season?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should be the Villa Captain this Season?

• Warnock
    • Clark (someone already said this in another topic)
    • Gabby
    • Young
    • Dunne
    • Collins
    • N'Zogbia
    • Given
    • Bent
    • Petrov

That would just add way too much pressure to any of them, plus considering we're (hopefully) going to have a busy summer, I can't see many experienced players wanting to come to us only to be under the captaincy of a rookie. For the most part though, it's the added pressure on the young lads which is completely avoidable and unnecessary.

I suspect it'll either be Dunne, Collins (if either of them stick around) or one of the new players brought in during the summer.

Question: Exactly what pressure does it add to be the captain?

Answer: In the modern game, none. Unless calling a coin toss is stressful. And if calling the coin toss is stressful, get off the pitch !

I'm pretty confident they do more than just toss a coin. They're the loudest voice in the dressing room, the one who's meant to rally all the troops to grind out a result. They're also meant to be outstanding role models to the rest of the team and deal with the media more than the rest of the players.

There was a story about Scott Parker giving a really powerful halftime team-talk when he was captain of West Ham and it allegedly brought tears to some of the player's eyes.

They do more than just flip a coin for crying out loud. You're always hearing about what a stand-up guy Petrov is and how he helps the other players both on and off the pitch, learning french for Salifou's benefit when he joined up and no doubt various other things.

The pressure is already on our youth academy graduates to make it in the Premier League at all let alone taking on the added responsibility of being team captain. Too much pressure could very well hinder their development and it's completely avoidable.

Got to be Given for me, one of the only consistant performers last season, has held the captaincy (for short amount of times mind) at Newcastle and Citeh, and shown responsibility on and off the pitch through his charity work. Not perfect but seems like the best of a bad bunch, barring we don't sign an obvious leader.

The only problem is if the captain is a GK he's confined to the goal mouth :/ - I'd prefer them to be a midfielder

Given would have been the perfect captain last year then, was always surrounded by players

I'm pretty confident they do more than just toss a coin. They're the loudest voice in the dressing room, the one who's meant to rally all the troops to grind out a result. They're also meant to be outstanding role models to the rest of the team and deal with the media more than the rest of the players.

There was a story about Scott Parker giving a really powerful halftime team-talk when he was captain of West Ham and it allegedly brought tears to some of the player's eyes.

They do more than just flip a coin for crying out loud. You're always hearing about what a stand-up guy Petrov is and how he helps the other players both on and off the pitch, learning french for Salifou's benefit when he joined up and no doubt various other things.

The pressure is already on our youth academy graduates to make it in the Premier League at all let alone taking on the added responsibility of being team captain. Too much pressure could very well hinder their development and it's completely avoidable.

So, if I understand you the captain should be willing to learn foreign languages, be an inspritational speaker, who can bring tears to the eye, and have a future in PR?

1) Not many captains at any clubs meet that

2) None of those roles are formal, assigned responsibilities in the LOTG

3) All of those are a matter of personal charcter and a player possessing them will be the natural leader of the team regardless of who wears the armband.

Becuase wearing the armband(designated captain) counts for next to nothing in the modern game. A leader that encourages and supports his teammates by example and by emotion and even by rage, will always be a valuable asset. But I see that as a different discussion. The only way to know who steps into that role is if you are in the dressing room regularly.

I believe Brazil and other national teams don't bother with it. They have to designate a captain by rule, so it's always whoever has the most caps regardless of any leadership in the locker room or field. The armband is a meaningless thing these days. No rights. No privileges. The only thing it entails is attending the coin toss.

I hope we have several strong leaders. I think Petrov was a great leader. But don't give a flip who is captain. Just always give it to the guy whose birthday is next as his birthday present from the club.