Who Should be the Villa Captain this Season? (2011/12)

bickster

Who Should be the Villa Captain this Season?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should be the Villa Captain this Season?

• Warnock
    • Clark (someone already said this in another topic)
    • Gabby
    • Young
    • Dunne
    • Collins
    • N'Zogbia
    • Given
    • Bent
    • Petrov

Who would the players choose? Who do they look up to and respect? Who has bags of experience? Who looks out for the young players? Who fires them up in the dressing room and is relentless in his communication on the pitch? Who handles the media well and never has a negative word to say? He may be losing his engine but Petrov is still the best man for the club captaincy, the players know it.

If Petrov makes no noises about wanting to step down from the post, then it's in the club's interest not to strip him of it. It will only cause ill feeling in the dressing room in my opinion. So Stan to stay in the position for me when he plays, and rotate between the likes of Dunne, Collins and Given as and when required.

Collins for captain? No thanks, guys a freaking liability. Petrov is the obvious choice, he's a good team player, just whether or not he'll play in the team next season. If Dunne plays as well as he did the first season I think he'd be in with a shout but he's not exactly the best role model.

Good qualities for a captain would be that he conducts himself in the right way on and off the pitch, leads by example, gives his all even when things aren't going so well, encourages those around him, having the respect of the other members of the squad and a good relationship with the manager and someone who the manager respects and can trust.

It is no surprise that the last few managers we have had have gone with Stan as captain as he has all the necessary qualities and the bottom line is that we really don't have anyone else in the squad to take over from him at the moment.

I also suspect Stan will start the vast majority of games this season.