Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Got to start to be given some game time soon really hasn't he? If Bannan isn't going to feature over coming weeks, it could be a great time to put him in with Jenas coming back, Petrov, Jenas with vast experience should allow him to play without any real pressure of having to perform and control. Maybe same with Delph if he were to be given a chance (although extremely disappointed with how he started the season) that extra experience can help though.

Harsh to drop Herd though surely?

Not only harsh - Completely wrong imo.

Arguably our best player in every game hes played

Not that POB suggests we drop Herd

I'd have him RB, him or Cuellar.

If we don't play him and he gets pissed off and leaves I think there would be absolute uproar and rightly so.

Absolutely. the ingratitude of someone who was supported by the club for over a year to recover from an anterior cruciate ligament injury, only started playing again in January this year, and now apparently is off because he hasn't been parachuted straight into the premier league squad, would be breathtaking. I would be outraged.

I'm sure the club kept him on purely through thir compassion and understanding, I'm sure at no stage were they protecting an investment and a product.

He isn't a kid anymore, worse players than him (from what I've seen) have broken into teams at villa and beyond before he has, if he doesnt get a look in this season and doesn't start next season in the team who could blame the lad for considering leaving?

A career in football can last for very little time with bad luck (which considering his recent injury may, or may not be something he'll be plagued with) so why waste years of it sat on the bench at a middle of the road prem club, we're hardly **** man utd, no-one wants to sit on our bench.

I think you need to get a little perspective. The lad is 19 and will be just 20 at the start of next season. He'd hardly be wasting his career if he found himself on the bench of one of currently the top 10 clubs in English football and historically and potentially comfortably one of the top half dozen clubs.

No we aren't Man Utd. Not many clubs are in their league in terms of status. It is still an honour to be at a great club like Aston Villa especially at 19 years of age and be in the first team squad.

Not sure if this has been posted in this thread earlier, but, for the benefit of anyone who has doubts about the club's attitude to young Gary, have a look at this.

Gardner has "big part to play" for Villa this season

Gary Gardner tipped to impress by Peter Grant.

10th Nov 2011

By Paul Brown

Gary Gardner has a "big part to play" at Villa, according to assistant manager Peter Grant.

Gardner has been reassured that his Villa first-team chance will come and it could possibly be before the end of the year.

The 19-year-old impressed the coaching staff greatly out in Hong Kong during the Barclays Asia Trophy as he sparkled in training and made his senior bow against Chelsea in the showpiece final.

Since then he has been on the bench three times although he is still eagerly awaiting competitive claret and blue action.

Grant thinks this will come sooner rather than later, the younger brother of former star Craig being hailed a "talented" player.

"We feel he'll have a big part to play for us soon, absolutely no doubt about that," said Grant.

"He's a talented boy. Going through this period in December and from Christmas onwards we feel he's got the talent to be part of things.

"We're concerned about the long-term. We don't just see it as a short-term thing with Gary. We want to make sure he is right for the future.

"We've got to do it right for the boy. He maybe feels it's not right for him because he's anxious to make an impact for the first team.

"You can understand that to an extent, but he's got to be patient.

"His performances with the reserves have been excellent, he's a fantastic professional and he will get a chance because his talent will dictate that and we're all looking forward to working with him."

Gardner shouldn't feel too aggrieved as he is fighting against a talented claret and blue cast including Jermaine Jenas, Stiliyan Petrov, Chris Herd, Stephen Ireland, Fabian Delph and Barry Bannan for a central midfield role.

Grant also confirmed Villa are keen to adopt a softly-softly approach with the teenager, who is rebuilding his fitness and strength in his knee after a cruciate ligament injury.

"It's very difficult for him to catch up because of the amount of time he spent out," added Grant.

"Gary's been playing in this NextGen series youth tournament and it's all about getting him football because he missed a lot of games last year.

"We know he's a top-quality player and we noticed that a couple of years ago, obviously through knowing his brother. He's a top kid and he's doing exceptionally well."

If we don't play him and he gets pissed off and leaves I think there would be absolute uproar and rightly so.

Absolutely. the ingratitude of someone who was supported by the club for over a year to recover from an anterior cruciate ligament injury, only started playing again in January this year, and now apparently is off because he hasn't been parachuted straight into the premier league squad, would be breathtaking. I would be outraged.

I'm sure the club kept him on purely through thir compassion and understanding, I'm sure at no stage were they protecting an investment and a product.

He isn't a kid anymore, worse players than him (from what I've seen) have broken into teams at villa and beyond before he has, if he doesnt get a look in this season and doesn't start next season in the team who could blame the lad for considering leaving?

A career in football can last for very little time with bad luck (which considering his recent injury may, or may not be something he'll be plagued with) so why waste years of it sat on the bench at a middle of the road prem club, we're hardly **** man utd, no-one wants to sit on our bench.

I think you need to get a little perspective. The lad is 19 and will be just 20 at the start of next season. He'd hardly be wasting his career if he found himself on the bench of one of currently the top 10 clubs in English football and historically and potentially comfortably one of the top half dozen clubs.

No we aren't Man Utd. Not many clubs are in their league in terms of status. It is still an honour to be at a great club like Aston Villa especially at 19 years of age and be in the first team squad.

Wilshere is the same age and has been a regular for an arguably bigger club for the last 12-18 months.

I am NOT saying he should be starting every game like Wilshere but, if he is good enough (and he certainly appears to be from reserve appearances and his England cameo), he should be starting to be phased into the first team plans, particularly when the only option that McLeish seems to recognise at ACM is the Powerhouse! :winkold:

Wilshere hasn't had the injury problems Gardner has had. When Wilshere got his loan, that was when Gardner got his bad injury and he's been on catch up ever since.

His injury took him out for 12 months max. He is more than 12 months behind Wilshere now.

I repeat, I am not saying that he should be starting every game BUT if he is good enough I would like to see him get some playing time.

Wilshere hasn't had the injury problems Gardner has had. When Wilshere got his loan, that was when Gardner got his bad injury and he's been on catch up ever since.

His injury took him out for 12 months max. He is more than 12 months behind Wilshere now.

I repeat, I am not saying that he should be starting every game BUT if he is good enough I would like to see him get some playing time.

It's not just the injury itself, but there is a long recovery time on the pitch. We saw similar with Downing when he first joined us. He's also had several niggles since too. I remember he was going to play Hereford but ended up getting a knock.

Arsenal were also in a better position to loan Wilshere out, in hindsight we could have loaned Gardner out somewhere but we didn't and Wilshere had great benefit from his time at Bolton.

Its very difficult to predict with young players.. will they won't they, becuase a lot depends on application and determination to succeed.

However, what I have seen him, he looks like a footballer ( thoroughbred)and all the signs would suggest he will make it.

Reading threads like this its sad to see so many Villa fans buying into the media nonsense about Man Utd. It looks like half our fans are "Brummie Reds" in all but name. Have some faith in the club, none of us know how things will pan out in football over the next twelve, twenty-four, thirty-six months. Gardner just might make the grade, along with a few others, and Randy might start spending again. All ifs and buts.

This type of writing off of Villa from our own fans reminds me of last season when we had many a supporter on here saying Villa would get zero points from our final two matches of the season. "Villa ain't good enough to get anything out of Arsenal and Liverpool" was the general sentiment from the "Brummie Red" brigade among us.

Oh well. Let's wait and see what happens before writing off the mighty Villa.

how is gardner better than McEachran exactly?

McEacheran has been talked up a lot, but he has done nothing at U21 level yet. Not saying one is better than the other. Gardner did superb last game, deserved a start I'd say. Gardner coming on now for Ameobi. Gets 30 mins.

Â