Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Playing at centre back

Pleasing, I hate seeing him played at fullback.

Him and Clark could be a good pairing as future CBs...Baker looks too tall to be a full back.... but IIRC they're both left footed.

Why is two left footers playing worse than 2 right footers which is what we have at the moment? I fact its probably better as most strikers they come up against will be right footed.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets hope Gary Gardner gets a start tonight, if ever the time was right it is now, in the 3rd round of the Carling Cup at home. 19 now, has in my opinion been our best reserve team/youth player in the past 2-3 years. Before his injury that kept him out for 6-9 months or so, he scored a bucket load of goals from midfield in half a season. He seems to be keep that up in the reserves following his injury. He is a quite a tall tough player as well, we possibly lack that height in the midfield (not that it is essential). The lad is now getting notice by England Under 21's, and is being called up ahead of Delph, who is playing week in, week out right now.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who hopes to see Gards out their tonight, we need options in this area, and he could potentially be the answer.

No chance of a start, we need to -and will- take this far more seriously than blooding youngsters.

He ain't that young, when we gonna start playing him then? I'd have him in for Delph or alongside if Petrov is still feeling the knock. One young one for another. He is only a couple months younger than Jack Wilshere, much older than the likes of Nathan Redmond and Ross Barkley who are currently playing regularly for their respected clubs. Theres a difference between playing a youngster, than playing a team full of kids. Bannan not really a kid no more, fully fledged international, nearly 22.

If he ain't gonna get a good go in the early stages of this comp, then he'll struggle to get time in the Prem.

No chance of a start, we need to -and will- take this far more seriously than blooding youngsters.

He ain't that young, when we gonna start playing him then?

I think its quite possible that without that injury he suffered, he may well have gained a little more first team experience. Its put him back a little, so i dont think we should judge this, in age terms, since hes bloody fortunate to be playing at all.

Says a lot about his ability, that he is actually now again, knocking on the door.

He ain't that young, when we gonna start playing him then?

I think its quite possible that without that injury he suffered, he may well have gained a little more first team experience. Its put him back a little, so i dont think we should judge this, in age terms, since hes bloody fortunate to be playing at all.

Says a lot about his ability, that he is actually now again, knocking on the door.

True with regards to Wilshere, but Ross Barkley also had a threatening injury that kept him out for nearly a year. Was back this preseason and is appearing in every game for Everton. Delph also had a long term injury that could have potentially threatened his career. Now getting plenty of starts. Gardner been back, for the most part, since that 10-1 against Arsenal reserve where he scored a couple.

I'd like him to start, but if not, get a good 30 minutes, instead a short cameo like he was restricted too during the friendlies.

He's been around the first team for a couple of months now too, played for England at under 21 level, deserves a crack today.

Sounds like Bolton are resting some players tonight, Reo Coker is definitely being rested for weekend game against Arsenal according to reports, so doubt it will be a full strength Bolton tonight. Good time to play Gards.

I'd love to see a central midfield 3 of Bannan, Delph and Gardner in the future.

Delph and Gardner acting as the two 'holding' midfielders, putting in the rough tackles but also spreading balls about the pitch, with Bannan roaming around infront of them.

What sort of midfielder would Gardner be classed as or is most comfortable as? He seems to score a hell of a lot of goals for a midfielder. I've seen him play in advanced midfield positions on some of the AVTV highlights, does anyone know if he plays a holding role too?

I'd love to see a central midfield 3 of Bannan, Delph and Gardner in the future.

Delph and Gardner acting as the two 'holding' midfielders, putting in the rough tackles but also spreading balls about the pitch, with Bannan roaming around infront of them.

Looks lightweight to me. I would like to see a three of: [strong DCM], Bannan OR Delph and Gardner.

Was really looking forward to hopefully seeing Gary Gardner tonight, oh well. Wonder if he'll get any real chances this season now we are out of the carling cup. Like others, baffled why he wasn't bought on, he has a great shot on him and could have potentially bagged us a goal, his goal scoring record in reserve/youth football is superb, hard worker too.

Hes got no chance.

He will appear not play like Pele and the Villa fans will say he wont make it and is crap.

Hopefully he will produce performances that will keep the hungry dogs happy.

Well you get 6 games to make it or you're shit! Good luck Gary! :lol:

Â