Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

3 minutes ago, useless said:

We shouldn't be relying on him, we obviously need another three midfielders, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Which is what we've been saying with so many players for so long when they are clearly not good enough. What are we waiting for.....? He isn't going to turn into some amazing player because he was apparently linked with real madrid and inter about 6 years ago. 

As a club we just seem to be happy to stand and hope that some miracle is about to happen with players who are just simply not good enough. 

Time to be ruthless as a club which unfortunately we are still showing zero signs of. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

He doesn't need to turn into an amazing player to be good enough for us. If he can get to the levels he got to at Forest then he's worth having around.

I disagree. It didn't do them much good at all. Him getting more time means more defeats than wins imo..... as it did for forest.

We should write him off after having a bad game? Let's forget all of his good work at Forest over the last 2 years and sell him on? Think people on here are over reacting. Let's judge him at least after a string of games in the team. 

Just now, UGC said:

We should write him off after having a bad game? Let's forget all of his good work at Forest over the last 2 years and sell him on? Think people on here are over reacting. Let's judge him at least after a string of games in the team. 

Were judging him on the last 5/6 years that for whatever reason, some of which unfortunate, he just hasn't been up to scratch. 

I certainly wasn't surprised with how gash he was yesterday. I didn't expect much at all.

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I disagree. It didn't do them much good at all. Him getting more time means more defeats than wins imo..... as it did for forest.

You are aware that it takes 11 players to win a game? Gardner showed last season he is capable at this level  if he only reaches last seasons levels he'd be good enough for us but I think he'll get better with time. Would you write Amavi off played yesterday and never excelled?I

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

Were judging him on the last 5/6 years that for whatever reason, some of which unfortunate, he just hasn't been up to scratch. 

I certainly wasn't surprised with how gash he was yesterday. I didn't expect much at all.

I find that interesting as the game on Sunday was his first for Villa in 3 years so what are you making that assessment on? Did you watch many Forest games last season?

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Last 5/6 years where he was recovering from injury/didn't get much first team opportunity. Give him a run of games at least before you judge him off one performance in a new team. It's harsh to write him off especially when it was his first start in 3 years.

Edited by UGC

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I find that interesting as the game on Sunday was his first for Villa in 3 years so what are you making that assessment on? Did you watch many Forest games last season?

Yes I did. That's already been mentioned. And everytime I've seen him in a villa shirt he's been awful. In our worst season ever, that was truly and utterly pathetic, he was deemed not good enough as he was once again sent out on loan to a lower championship club where he did ok. It really is time to move away from this rubbish.

Gardner is definitely a championship standard player at least, he has shown that by being selected by 3/4 different managers consistently at this level. He's still only 24, he's not a youngster anymore but he's got another decade of football in him. Give him time and he should be a good player for us. I personally am not even sure what all the criticism is about anyway. We're a championship team now, we don't have Barry and Petrov in the midfield, the standard of player we have, and we can attract, has fallen. 

20 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Yes I did. That's already been mentioned. And everytime I've seen him in a villa shirt he's been awful. In our worst season ever, that was truly and utterly pathetic, he was deemed not good enough as he was once again sent out on loan to a lower championship club where he did ok. It really is time to move away from this rubbish.

I've got to be honest, I find it a little hard to believe you saw him playing for Forest but if you say you did so be it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I've got to be honest, I find it a little hard to believe you saw him playing for Forest but if you say you did so be it.

Went to quite a few matches with my gf at the time dad who is a big forest fan. Really not that far fetched given I'm fairly local too.

• Like 1

On 8 August 2016 at 20:42, Woodytom said:

Which is what we've been saying with so many players for so long when they are clearly not good enough. What are we waiting for.....? He isn't going to turn into some amazing player because he was apparently linked with real madrid and inter about 6 years ago. 

As a club we just seem to be happy to stand and hope that some miracle is about to happen with players who are just simply not good enough. 

Time to be ruthless as a club which unfortunately we are still showing zero signs of. 

I have an inkling we are showing signs of moving towards that position.

• Like 1

First time I've logged in since the game. Must say the two big disappointments for me was the lack of tracking back on the wings and Gardner.

Simply wont make it if his approach is to hit first time looping passes any time the ball comes near him. I'm not a Westwood fan but you could see the difference in the way Westwood retained possession compared to Gardner and the pressure on the team eased as a result. Vast improvement needed in the midfield. Read good things from Forest fans last season - surely this wasn't it..

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jonno_2004 said:

First time I've logged in since the game. Must say the two big disappointments for me was the lack of tracking back on the wings and Gardner.

Simply wont make it if his approach is to hit first time looping passes any time the ball comes near him. I'm not a Westwood fan but you could see the difference in the way Westwood retained possession compared to Gardner and the pressure on the team eased as a result. Vast improvement needed in the midfield. Read good things from Forest fans last season - surely this wasn't it..

Maybe he is the new Gerrard like they used to say after all.

At least he'll give a shit. Definitely worth having him as a midfield option. I'd rather Westwood was binned off as we know his limitations and they are many. Gardner could be better alongside better players. Westwood played with Delph and was still a disappointment.

He's been waiting for this opportunity for a long time with injuries, loans etc...

I wouldn't blame him if he was a bit nervous and let it affect him a little. Hoping to see him settle down and play the football I know he can play.

Â