Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

When as Gardener under Lambert had a run of games ? Same goes for Okore , Grealish , and to an extent Nzogbia .

So presuamably ,you say , Lambert over the four years he's been there , observing Gardener he's come to the conclusion that his performances are not of the level to warrant a first team place , or for that matter a place on the bench , save for the odd occasion . And yet , decides to reward him with a new contract . Go figure .

What this manager needs to do is grow a pair .

1. Lambert has been here for two years, not four.

2. Gardner, Okore and N'Zogbia have missed at least a year each with serious injury, Grealish rightfully was out on loan for 1 year for experience,

3. The manager needs to grow a pair, yeah let's field 2 players with cruciate injuries and one with a ruptured achilles.

So N'zogbia has been playing with a ruptured achilles ? Or did I miss the past tense ? My apologies , obviously Lambert can't put out injured players , but I thought the injuries had cleared up .

Sorry about the four years mistake , but tbh the two years of utter despair have made it seem like a **** lifetime .

That's me done now , anything else would be superfluous .

N'Zogbia was playing before the ruptured achilles and after, so what is your point exactly?

When as Gardener under Lambert had a run of games ? Same goes for Okore , Grealish , and to an extent Nzogbia .

So presuamably ,you say , Lambert over the four years he's been there , observing Gardener he's come to the conclusion that his performances are not of the level to warrant a first team place , or for that matter a place on the bench , save for the odd occasion . And yet , decides to reward him with a new contract . Go figure .

What this manager needs to do is grow a pair .

1. Lambert has been here for two years, not four.

2. Gardner, Okore and N'Zogbia have missed at least a year each with serious injury, Grealish rightfully was out on loan for 1 year

for experience,

3. The manager needs to grow a pair, yeah let's field 2 players with cruciate injuries and one with a ruptured achilles.

So N'zogbia has been playing with a ruptured achilles ? Or did I miss the past tense ? My apologies , obviously Lambert can't put out injured players , but I thought the injuries had cleared up .

Sorry about the four years mistake , but tbh the two years of utter despair have made it seem like a **** lifetime .

That's me done now , anything else would be superfluous .

N'Zogbia was playing before the ruptured achilles and after, so what is your point exactly?

The point is " Charlie don"t serf " . ( smile if thats possible ) .

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised no recall for Gardner, given our current shortage in CM.

I thought he was on a season long loan to Brighton, so I'd imagine a recall would not be possible. Could be wrong though.

I am wrong. Turns out the loan is only until 1st Jan:

From the beeb:

"Championship side Brighton & Hove Albion have signed Aston Villa midfielder Gary Gardner on loan until 1 January 2015."

It's Bennett who is there for the full season.

to be honest he has never impressed me in the slightest whenever he has played

I'd say that's a fair comment from his first team performances.

I understand the hype and hope though; at youth level and reserves his touch was strong, his passing and ability to spot a pass very advanced and he could shoot, and did! He also held a good solid positing in midfield and influenced most good plays.

When he got his serious injury and came back, in time for first team potential he looked a different player who struggled to match past performances and influence, he was quite simply out of his depth.

Whether this was the injury or the step up I think we live in hope with Gardner more than hype, then again the boy is 22 and playing in a tough position, maybe he will settle, become stronger on the ball and more confident to rediscover his talents, I'd take a solid squad player if that's as far as he goes.

It's a shame that injuries appear to have cost a lad who had a lot or promise his chance at a career. Hard to know whether it was the injuries or just that he wasn't good enough but he looks set to be another prospect dumped on the Stefan Moore scrap heap. I'm sure it happens to lost of young lads all around the world. The lesson? Make sure you get your education and don't put all your eggs in the football basket.

It's a shame that injuries appear to have cost a lad who had a lot or promise his chance at a career. Hard to know whether it was the injuries or just that he wasn't good enough but he looks set to be another prospect dumped on the Stefan Moore scrap heap. I'm sure it happens to lost of young lads all around the world. The lesson? Make sure you get your education and don't put all your eggs in the football basket.

A bit harsh and a bit premature, if he doesn't make it as a prem footballer he could easily make it at any of the 3 lower professional tiers and have a great career in the lower leagues earning money playing the game he loves. I'd not write him off just yet at Prem level either.

• Like 1

A bit harsh and a bit premature, if he doesn't make it as a prem footballer he could easily make it at any of the 3 lower professional tiers and have a great career in the lower leagues earning money playing the game he loves. I'd not write him off just yet at Prem level either.

If he's not cutting it for Brighton, what makes you think that he can make it in that division?

I still think it is too early to write him off completely.

Delph had a very similar injury record to Gary and in December of Lambert's first season (Chelsea Tottenham Wigan 15-0) I had completely written him off.

I think it was him and el ahmadi in the middle at home to tottenham and that was IMO the 2 worst midfield performances I have seen to date in a villa shirt, 5months later with almost a full season of regular football behind him he was a different player in the run in, and a year after that he's playing for England.

I know Gary hasn't shown any signs yet really but he's also only just started to get regular competitive football, if he stays fit and can keep getting games we'll have a better idea of the player the injuries left behind at the back end of the season I think.

If he's not cutting it for Brighton, what makes you think that he can make it in that division?

He's playing his first regular football in about 2 years (maybe more??) due to a couple of very bad injuries. Unfortunately those injuries also robbed him of some crucial development years, which means he's behind most of the guys in his age group. There is still a very good chance he will fulfill his potential if he works at it, but it might take him another year or two to get back to his best. The only way for him to get there is to continue to play regular games.

Delph had a very similar injury record to Gary and in December of Lambert's first season (Chelsea Tottenham Wigan 15-0) I had completely written him off.

I think it was him and el ahmadi in the middle at home to tottenham and that was IMO the 2 worst midfield performances I have seen to date in a villa shirt, 5months later with almost a full season of regular football behind him he was a different player in the run in, and a year after that he's playing for England.

I know Gary hasn't shown any signs yet really but he's also only just started to get regular competitive football, if he stays fit and can keep getting games we'll have a better idea of the player the injuries left behind at the back end of the season I think.

You clearly don't remember the Djemba Djemba & Steven Davis combination against Arsenal on a cold saturday night.

You clearly don't remember the Djemba Djemba & Steven Davis combination against Arsenal on a cold saturday night.

That's bollocks. Davis is a decent premier league player as shown by his performances at Southampton. O'Neill got rid of him and Cahill for effectively Zak Knight and Steve Sidwell. Brilliant piece of business.

I reckon Gardner could still do a job for us. When he was last fit he was playing a lot of games under TSM and for England U21's. Very unlucky with the injuries. Time for a recall back to Villa I think.

Â