Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Lambert admits he needs to see the youngster steer clear of the treatment table and force his way into senior contention before fresh terms can be considered.

He said in the Birmingham Mail: "He's trained the last few weeks now and he was on the bench at Liverpool.

"He's doing all right. It's hard for him to get in the side at the minute and he knows that himself, but he needs games that's for sure.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9150149/premier-league-gary-gardner-playing-for-aston-villa-future

then why wasnt he sent on a short term loan like Marc to get a few games and come back stronger.

• Like 1

Lambert admits he needs to see the youngster steer clear of the treatment table and force his way into senior contention before fresh terms can be considered.

He said in the Birmingham Mail: "He's trained the last few weeks now and he was on the bench at Liverpool.

"He's doing all right. It's hard for him to get in the side at the minute and he knows that himself, but he needs games that's for sure.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9150149/premier-league-gary-gardner-playing-for-aston-villa-future

then why wasnt he sent on a short term loan like Marc to get a few games and come back stronger.

Lambert is obviously taking this opportunity to have a closer look at him.

Gary is part of the first team squad and I presume the club have a fitness plan for him which would be jeopardised if he was sent out on loan.

He is back to full training and now he’s being allowed to play with the 21s, it can’t be long before he’ll be match fit and actually in contention.

I have no doubt the club will offer him a new deal.

Depends.

I think a year extension is best for all involved.

He can show what is made of and if he does well the club extend it.

If he doesn't do well it's only a year.

I think it's worth giving him a chance before completely writing him off, although I must admit at this point I'm not convinced he will make it now but that could change if he can show what he can do.

Next would he take up a place in the 25 man squad?? It may be a choice of letting him go or not being able to play him as he's not in the 25 man squad? I hope between now and the end of the season he gets a few games 2 years ago he was the best player in the next gen but injuries have curtailed his development. He needs games otherwise we could regret it. I'd put him in against West Ham or at least get him minutes off the bench. Lambert seems to like using youngsters from other clubs why not try ours??

If ….( and it seems to be a big IF at the moment) …. GG can stay 100% fit for a couple of seasons, then he's going to become a very good "Gerrard" type player. For that reason I think he needs to remain at Villa. I'd hate to see him leave and become a big player with another club. Cahill is an obvious example of this, a fully fit and experienced Gardner could be the same (imo). 

• Like 2

Clearly better than El Ahmadi and Sylla.

Lambert is underestimating his ability.

He hasn't given him a chance.

Letting him go would be a mistake.

Completely different type of player though.

not only clearly better than them but clearly better than westwood too, as i am still unsure what westwood actually does for us, cant tackle, cant take set pieces and his passing is not very good.

I'd have a fit GG starting ahead of anyone midfielder we have except Delph

I don't think he has ever shown anything to warrant a new deal.

Whilst this is true, he's also done nothing to suggest he doesn't warrant a new deal.

He's 21 and had some awful injuries, I have my personal doubts over whether he'll make it, but after such a promising youth career with us I think the least he deserves is to have a full, injury free season with us before we decide to pass on him.

We need someone like him who will shoot from range and get to the edge of the box. I dont see why he shouldn't be given a go, then again I have said all along Lambert hasn't played any of our youth players that come through, hes been forced to play some.

Has he ever started a game under Lambert?

No he's been injured for the vast majority of his tenure

so you would think he deserves some match time then - but seeing as we hoofed both cups up the wall there is no likelihood of game time as Lambert loves Westwood and his weak set pieces - and that's the only player I could see him replacing, i.e. the type of defensive holding midfielder that does neither of those things.

Everytime a striker is injured Lambert plays Kea or Tonev, I think he would rather sleep with the ghost of jimmy saville than play Gardener or Helenius, if things get desperate his go to 15 min cameo man is Bowery

Edited by VillanousOne

Lambert is underestimating his ability.

He hasn't given him a chance.

Letting him go would be a mistake.

Completely different type of player though.

not only clearly better than them but clearly better than westwood too, as i am still unsure what westwood actually does for us, cant tackle, cant take set pieces and his passing is not very good.

I'd have a fit GG starting ahead of anyone midfielder we have except Delph

From his fleeting performances in the first team he didn't show anything that he is better than those mentioned. Then again he didn't show he was worse. Hasn't had a chance recently and probably deserves a 1 yr extension to recover fully and show what he can do

Â