Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Witch hunt, like I said previously, is the wrong term.

However, it absolutely is a case of there being a negative opinion surrounding Guzan at the moment and, as a result, he is being harshly criticised for things we wouldn't have paid any attention to previously. This is just one of those things.

See, Sherwood has done a job on me this summer. When it was suggested he was after a new keeper my initial response was wtf is he on about? one of the only players in the squad I would keep? guy's gone nuts.

Then as the summer's gone on he's made me realise there's no reason to settle for second best. He has managed to reignite in me certain standards which had dropped, both in my expectations and my willingness to accept them. Ive made reference to the losing mentality having crept into us as fans and not just the players and it's all this that makes me feel we're getting our mojo back.

Guzan? I love and respect the man and the footballer. We'd be hard pressed to find a realistic affordable alternative with his undoubted abilities imo. Still doesn't kick the ball very good. Like I said earlier, I feel he looks under a lot of pressure at the moment, he doesn't look comfortable when the ball is played back to him, he openly displays his unhappiness at the kicks into touch and Ive also said missing out on another cup final seems to have really gotten to him, or is it that he was dropped after 1 glaring mistake? I don't know, but Sherwood has to base his decisions on now, not on how good he was 2 years ago and that side of his game is visibly getting worse, not better.

do I feel he's a liability? - No.

do I think we could get a better keeper? - Yes

do I still think Sherwood's nuts? - No

Cheers Tim.

I don't disagree with that.

Are there better keepers out there? Of course.

I'm not for a second saying we can't get any better. My argument previously on the subject was that it wasn't a priority. It probably still isn't, but given how many players we've signed it would be less of an issue now if we actively sought a new keeper.

But that's not the same as suddenly blaming Guzan for loads of things that aren't his fault, which is exactly what I can see happening. 

It's not surprising though. Go back to last season in this thread and I predicted it happening.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I dont blame him for the goal on Sat.

However, 95% of Premiership keepers are expected to make saves that he does week in week out for us.  What sets out a top keeper and an average one is their distribution and composure under pressure which filters through the rest of the team.  Both i feel Guzan is significantly lacking in. 

• Like 2

Strange, there was i thinking a goalkeeper was bought in for his ability to keep the ball out of the net but I've been wrong all these years. It's all about his ability to punt it upfield cos all goalkeepers have identical saving abilities.

Strange, there was i thinking a goalkeeper was bought in for his ability to keep the ball out of the net but I've been wrong all these years. It's all about his ability to punt it upfield cos all goalkeepers have identical saving abilities.

It's amazing how important distribution has become over the past, I dunno, 4 months.

Cech makes a pass to Chambers who has a defender rapidly approaching him, and Chambers loses the ball due to a bad decision which turns to a very good chance for Liverpool. No one is criticizing Cech about this. And don't say that's cause Cech rarely does that, cause Cech does make risky passes quite often. If you want to play out of the back, you have to take risks sometimes and it won't always work. If Guzan does the same thing, half of VT would be shouting to get him out of the club and they never want to see him in a Villa shirt again. It's ridiculously how he gets treated on here. I swear half of you want to see him fail just so we can get a new keeper. 

FWIW, Richard Keys, Andy Gray and Joey Barton on the review show today on BeIn Sports have said Amavi is at obviously at fault for getting dispossessed, but all agreed that it was madness for Guzan, with his view of the pitch in front of him, with time on his side, with his experience and with their CB pushed right up in our half was mental to release the ball to Amavi in the first place.

If ever there was a time to punt the ball long, then that was it simply as their defence was completely out of position.

Cech makes a pass to Chambers who has a defender rapidly approaching him, and Chambers loses the ball due to a bad decision which turns to a very good chance for Liverpool. No one is criticizing Cech about this. And don't say that's cause Cech rarely does that, cause Cech does make risky passes quite often. If you want to play out of the back, you have to take risks sometimes and it won't always work. If Guzan does the same thing, half of VT would be shouting to get him out of the club and they never want to see him in a Villa shirt again. It's ridiculously how he gets treated on here. I swear half of you want to see him fail just so we can get a new keeper. 

Was that with 3 minutes to go with an away point having just been rescued?

FWIW, Richard Keys, Andy Gray and Joey Barton on the review show today on BeIn Sports have said Amavi is at obviously at fault for getting dispossessed, but all agreed that it was madness for Guzan, with his view of the pitch in front of him, with time on his side, with his experience and with their CB pushed right up in our half was mental to release the ball to Amavi in the first place.

The boys from villa review were saying the same thing as well.  Can't disagree with it.

Yes. It does.

It wasn't a bad pass. It wasn't even a risky pass.

It was the sort of pass that's made dozens of time a game in every single game.

Amavi turned it into a risky pass by doing the wrong thing with it and landing us in the shit.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

If ever there was a time to punt the ball long, then that was it simply as their defence was completely out of position.

That argument is silly. I am set up to lose because it's practically impossible for another situation like that to arise. It happened when Liverpool were very much bossing the match. Arsenal were barely holding on, and a goal could have completely changed the result. 

Yes. It does.

It wasn't a bad pass. It wasn't even a risky pass.

It was the sort of pass that's made dozens of time a game in every single game.

Amavi turned it into a risky pass by doing the wrong thing with it and landing us in the shit.

Well I disagree.

I'd also say it doesn't happen dozens of times in a game.  I can't remember many other times when he rolled it out when our forwards were still in our 3rd and their CB was still pressing.

Edited by DCJonah

That argument is silly. I am set up to lose because it's practically impossible for another situation like that to arise. It happened when Liverpool were very much bossing the match. Arsenal were barely holding on, and a goal could have completely changed the result. 

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe having received the ball, Amavi needs to be much smarter. If in doubt, boot it out! 

But I also believe that the ball to him was a poor choice made by Guzan. There's just no need for it.

Irrespective of how Amavi handled the situation, it was a poor decision because Palace had push Scott Dann up into our half. There CB is totally out of position. Guzan can clearly see this, so if there's ever a time to try and hoof the ball up the other end of the pitch, that was it.

People seem to think that apportioning blame on Amavi and Guzan are both mutually exclusive events, but IMO it was poor play from both players.

And have we anywhere near Arsenal's possession skills.

Â