Stephen Warnock

KSV

Actually think he started to play like he gave a shit at the end of the season, I'd happily see him replaced!

I agree, the Liverpool game for example he worked harder than anyone. He was ruined by the end. I'd keep him as he gave a shit unlike. There are a lot of people on these forums who are looking to ship lots of players based on a season of being managed by a clown. This isn't Football Manager. If we are talking about effort, look at players like Gabby who had a number of half arsed performances - at least Warnock worked hard for the cause. We take some of the players who are being thrown up; Dunne and Collins for example, they have been solid performers in the past and just going for a gung ho strategy of a mass clear out is far too risky IMO. I'm not saying these players should be guaranteed football on name and their past merit, but at least given an opportunity under new guidance - after all some of them have led us to good positions in the league in previous seasons.

Lets not get all radical. We need poise but also some sort of consolidation and I think it can be done with some of the players that already exist within the squad.

I'd keep him as he gave a shit

throughout the season? no he didn't.

at least Warnock worked hard for the cause.

unfortunately he isn't good enough and has been terrible throughout the season..from poor positioning, getting skinned by Dyer and then having own goal attempts.. and that was just this season.

Dunne and Collins for example, they have been solid performers in the past

bold bit is key here.. players get older and start to make more mistakes.

Carvalho was a top CB a few years back.. he struggles these days and makes alot of mistakes - it happens, these two just aren't good together anymore.

some of them have led us to good positions in the league in previous seasons.

again bold bit.. previous seasons - past tense.

Lets not get all radical. We need poise but also some sort of consolidation and I think it can be done with some of the players that already exist within the squad.

Yes I agree however Warnock is not one of them.

I'm not convinced Warnock is one of the so-called 'bad apples'. I think under Houllier yes he said some things that were completely out of order but he was dropped accordingly and despite a few mistakes this season at least he looked like he was trying to get us out of trouble the last few weeks. If we could get in a better LB then I would replace but he would not be first on my list to get rid of.

A lot of people slating Warnock for his shocker against Swansea. Terry had one against Liverpool the other night, infact - he was **** shite, and, he embarrasses himself in a vital game at the Nou Camp- But he has been selected for England over Rio Ferdinand.

My point, I don't think Warnock is all that bad and he actually did give a crap about how he was playing. There arnt many other left backs that I would take that have a huge amount of prem experience. Same for Hutton, I really don't think he was that bad and that there were far bigger problems within the team/set up which explain why we were dogshit last season.

i believe warnock has a year left on his existing contract. if they can, they will sell him before he can leave on a free...

if i was in charge, i would keep him for the last year of his contract - he's a senior player and has been at the villa for a while now. keep him while new defenders bed in, or young ones come through. at the end of next season, if he's still getting a high number of first team games, offer him a new contract on lower terms due to his age. if he's not, he can go, having brought through the next lot of defenders... last thing we want it to get someone in, let warnock go, and find out the new guy is a hutton...

is it just me or has warnock looked completely revitalised, since he was given the added responsibility of playing up the pitch.... not saying he deserves a game there, but i just got the impression that he was giving much more effort, much like stevie ireland after being announced as player of the season.

His entire defensive game seems based on last ditch tackles and throwing his body into shotstopping (as opposed to good positioning, physical size and strength, closing down early). There is a fine line between his style of defending looking acceptable and looking utter shit. His timing has become a bit worse than it was under MON, he doesn't have Milner tracking back through midfield (although Ireland does his best) and the defensive pairing covering his back have become much much worse - so despite the fact that his game hasn't changed much he looks WAY shitter. Then you get a cycle of damaged confidence and increased errors.

With our threadbare squad I think he can still do a job for another year or so as long as we get in a good CB and a midfield enforcer to take the pressure off him. Lest we forget also, he used to overlap really well with Ash.

I'd keep him as he gave a shit

throughout the season? no he didn't.

at least Warnock worked hard for the cause.

unfortunately he isn't good enough and has been terrible throughout the season..from poor positioning, getting skinned by Dyer and then having own goal attempts.. and that was just this season.

Dunne and Collins for example, they have been solid performers in the past

bold bit is key here.. players get older and start to make more mistakes.

Carvalho was a top CB a few years back.. he struggles these days and makes alot of mistakes - it happens, these two just aren't good together anymore.

some of them have led us to good positions in the league in previous seasons.

again bold bit.. previous seasons - past tense.

Yes I agree however Warnock is not one of them.

Collins is 29! Another player who was fantastic against Liverpool. I just think there is some hope and good to come when a new manager is installed. I am not persecuting what you are saying, but as for the consensus, some of the idealogy is far too radical and I don't think is a true reflection of what will happen.

He has got to go, he is awful!!

Utter liability at the back, offers nothing going forward. Lightweight and weak in the air, i really think he offers nothing we couldnt easily improve on.

What wages is he on? must be one of the higher earners. Granted he has been slightly less shit this season compared to usual, but he is so poor generally i cant believe some want him to stay. Him and Collins have got to be shifed asap.

Jesus people do exaggerate on here. Worst defender in the league? He had a spell in Jan/Feb when he was pretty dire due to a clear lack of confidence but he he was steady up until then and hasn't disgraced himself since. Worse than Hutton? Which Villa have you been watching?

• 2 months later...

Not sure whether there's anything in it, but got told that Warnock may actually be sticking around to see out his deal. Very little interest in him and has affirmed his commitment to the club,

Not usually one to post ITK rubbish, but someone who works at bodymoor told me this. Would be slightly disappointed if this was the case.

Form weren't as bad as it had been towards the end of the season and actually started playing like he gave a shit. Respectable form for the final 10ish games.

Can we still buy a left back even if he is sticking around? Our defence isn't going to improve by that much until he's out of it.

We can. We are not in a sell to buy situation we are only selling if we can. Collins was an easy sell so he was shipped out, Hutton is an easy sell so he'll probably be shipped out. They didn't need to be I think Vlaar would have joined sooner had no one come in for Collins, I can see us getting a new left back.

Quite happy to see Warnock stick around personally.

Yes he's been a bit of a nobber in the past, but i'll quite happily say that he showed far more commitment at the end of last season than the likes of fan favourites such as Gabby and Albrighton.

He really wore his heart on his sleeve during that game where he was asked to play CM.

Â