Stephen Warnock

KSV

He really was awful yesterday. Constantly giving the ball away, wild 2 footed lunges, clashing heads everytime he went up for a header...im sure i even saw him dive head first into an advertising board at one point. It was almost as if he was trying to get subbed off/sent off/stretchered off.

The only thing is who do we play in his place? God what a shite state of affairs to be in. Id rather have Nicky fekkin Shorey

I think either Lichaj or Baker should get a go.

It was pretty obvious from McLeish interview last week that Stevens is not going to be getting anywhere near first team this year, but either of the above 2 should be worth a run of games, see if they are good enough. We already know Warnock isn't.

Yeah Baker or Lichaj. Lichaj played left back for Leeds I believe and is 23 now, so hardly a youngster anymore. Baker also as mentioned could be worth a punt at left back too, he's had a bit of Premier League experience under Houllier and had a decent spell with Milwall this season. In fact, anyone, just get him out the team now. Our biggest liability, and we we do have a few.

Houllier was right about Warnock

Gérard Houllier may have been wrong about many things in his short-lived spell at Villa but he appears he was right about one: Stephen Warnock is a liability. After heading into his own goal under absolutely no pressure during Aston Villa's 2-2 draw with QPR, against Newcastle the left-back needed to start trying to salvage a reputation that has descended into farce in the past 18 months. It is hard to imagine that some people once considered Warnock to be the best English left-back after Ashley Cole (Leighton Baines probably was not among these, mind).

Misplaced passes, a tendency to dawdle in possession and overly aggressive tackles to atone for his mistakes (viz the lunge that ended Ryan Taylor's game prior to Demba Ba's opener) have become the defender's stock in trade these days. He may have played no part in England's diabolical World Cup 2010 campaign but he, more than any other player in the 23-man squad, appears to have brought its stench home with him. He made Gabriel Obertan look like a world-beater at times on Sunday – a staggering feat. And he looked panicked in possession. At 30 years of age, and with hundreds of Premier League games behind him, he should at least look assured on the ball. He does not. Alex McLeish needs to make a populist decision or two to win over disgruntled Villa fans. Dropping Warnock would be a start.

Spot on I think.

Agree, definitely spot on.

Gérard Houllier may have been wrong about many things in his short-lived spell at Villa but he appears he was right about one: Stephen Warnock is a liability. After heading into his own goal under absolutely no pressure during Aston Villa's 2-2 draw with QPR, against Newcastle the left-back needed to start trying to salvage a reputation that has descended into farce in the past 18 months. It is hard to imagine that some people once considered Warnock to be the best English left-back after Ashley Cole (Leighton Baines probably was not among these, mind).

Misplaced passes, a tendency to dawdle in possession and overly aggressive tackles to atone for his mistakes (viz the lunge that ended Ryan Taylor's game prior to Demba Ba's opener) have become the defender's stock in trade these days. He may have played no part in England's diabolical World Cup 2010 campaign but he, more than any other player in the 23-man squad, appears to have brought its stench home with him. He made Gabriel Obertan look like a world-beater at times on Sunday – a staggering feat. And he looked panicked in possession. At 30 years of age, and with hundreds of Premier League games behind him, he should at least look assured on the ball. He does not. Alex McLeish needs to make a populist decision or two to win over disgruntled Villa fans. Dropping Warnock would be a start.

Spot on I think.

Yes it is.

Agree, this is the nail on the head. I have been saying this for months. The bloke is a total complete and utter liability. I am baffled that this guy gets paid 25k or so per week.

He is nowhere near good enough. How oh how oh how oh how does he keep getting picked? How can Eck not see that Warnock is complete garbage.

I'm in total despair. In my eyes this is the worst Villa player I have ever, ever seen. This is not an overreaction, this is genuinely how I feel after much consideration. Previously it was Carlton Cole who was garbage when he was here on loan but that's another debate altogether.

I would stick Guzan and LB before I pick Warnock. I've had enough of him. Can't take any more! GET RID NOW!

Mat Kendrick @MatKendrick

Interestingly Lichaj has started 2nd half of reserves match at left back. Wonder if Villa have an eye on trying him there for 1st team?

Couldn't possibly be any worse than the current LB! Tricky decision whether or not to experiment against Man City though.

I would play

Given

Hutton

Dunne

Clark

Lichaj

Petrov

Gardner

Gabby

Keane

Ireland

Bent

I dont think it matters who plays now, the problems at Aston Villa go much deeper than who plays left back. I think the team is divided and there are split loyalties.

Stop being so dramatic seriously. There will always be problems in the dressing room that is natural. Next thing people on here will be saying is that Warnock scored that OG against QPR on purpose...oh wait.

Agree, this is the nail on the head. I have been saying this for months. The bloke is a total complete and utter liability. I am baffled that this guy gets paid 25k or so per week.

He is nowhere near good enough. How oh how oh how oh how does he keep getting picked? How can Eck not see that Warnock is complete garbage.

I'm in total despair. In my eyes this is the worst Villa player I have ever, ever seen. This is not an overreaction, this is genuinely how I feel after much consideration. Previously it was Carlton Cole who was garbage when he was here on loan but that's another debate altogether.

I would stick Guzan and LB before I pick Warnock. I've had enough of him. Can't take any more! GET RID NOW!

Overreaction much? He was pretty good under MON wasn't he. As was Collins, and of course Dunne.

For me it would be

Given

Herd

Cuellar

Clark

Lichaj

Petrov

Gardner

Gabby

Keane

Ireland

Bent

Ireland has to go. He is as mad as a box of frogs, we knew that he was trouble the moment that we bought him, and he needs constant cuddles and reassurance as to how wonderful he is.

I know that he can be a good player on is day, but if the club is to move forward they need to write that one off.

Â