Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Isn't he essentially a down-grade from Brad Friedel?

:lol:

Given is 10 times the player Friedel ever was. Never really rated him, I feel people only thought he was good was because the MOTD panel used to rave about him, but that was only because of his age.

I can only assume you don't have eyes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friedal was a good keeper for us, but I lost a lot of faith in him last season, and now looking forward to having Given between the sticks, who I believe is currently the better keeper, which at the current time is all that matters, it doesn't matter who was better 10 years ago, but imo Given was :winkold:

It is hard to comment on Given when you only see him on MOTD or in live games against the Villa. I always thought, in his Newcastle days, he was an excellent keeper but I thought the same of Brad in his Blackburn days.

Like many, I became somewhat frustrated with Brad over the past season or so. Still a great shot stopper but not particularly commanding in and around his box and slow off his line. I felt that contributed to the downturn in our defensive stats last season.

I am hoping that Given will remain injury free and can deliver on his Newcastle form. I think his understanding with Dunne could mean we see instant results on defensive co-ordination and solidity. I think he will be an upgrade.

I am also hoping that, towards the end of Given's contract, Siegrist is coming through and doing a Joe Hart on him.

Like many, I became somewhat frustrated with Brad over the past season or so. Still a great shot stopper but not particularly commanding in and around his box and slow off his line. I felt that contributed to the downturn in our defensive stats last season.

You just described Shay Given too! :lol:

Given the lack of senior players in the current squad, I think it was very much a sensible idea to get Given in ahead of Foster.

I'm also starting to doubt if the transfer funds would have been made available for Foster, but either way, I think McLeish made the sensible choice.

Only the commanding from crosses bit, IIRC Given is pretty good coming of his line.

Only the commanding from crosses bit, IIRC Given is pretty good coming of his line.

I don't think many PL goalies command on crosses any more. Hennessy at VP was the only one I can really remember last season coming out and collecting crosses. I meant more talking to and organising the defence.

One thing struck me in today's game, at one point Given was forced to parry a shot and he parried it about 40 yeards away from the goal. Friedel, great keeper that he was had a brutal habit of parrying the ball straight into the path of an on rushing attacker. It used to drive me nuts.

One thing struck me in today's game, at one point Given was forced to parry a shot and he parried it about 40 yeards away from the goal. Friedel, great keeper that he was had a brutal habit of parrying the ball straight into the path of an on rushing attacker. It used to drive me nuts.
. Agreed, Friedel as good as he was did have a tendency to parry to the nearest attacker, think a good sign of how much of a good keeper he is shows in his concentration having very little to do then pulling off a great save from Emerton, long may it last.

He was superb today.

It could easily have been 5 or 6 without him. I am hoping his performance and the fact it was only 2 - 0 doesn't mask over how poor we were and the fact that major investment is needed if we are to do anything other than be mid to lower table, or worse with 3 or 4 injuries to key players, this season.