Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 years is mental. I'd like to see us make a cheeky little bid in for Alex Smithies as number 2.

I would think the fact that young keepers like Smithies will now know that Given is here (and likely to be number 1) for 5 years is going to put them off joining, as five years without first team football is a long time.

5 years is mental. I'd like to see us make a cheeky little bid in for Alex Smithies as number 2.

I would think the fact that young keepers like Smithies will now know that Given is here (and likely to be number 1) for 5 years is going to put them off joining, as five years without first team football is a long time.

I think Smithies would also realise that he's only 21. It's rare that goalkeepers get the number 1 shirt at that age. I mean Joe Hart and David De Gea are relative anomalies really.. Most clubs go for age and experience every time so Smithies unless he's incredible will start to get first team football at the bigger clubs when he's 25-26 which is just right as Given will be out of contract by then.

Shay is defintetly going to be unveiled at kit launch tonight/ Sorry if someone has mentioned this previosly..

AVFCOfficial Aston Villa FC

Fans are invited to get down to Star City to welcome Shay Given. Venue preparations underway. #villahomekitunveil http://twitpic.com/5shdvr

1 hour ago

AVFCOfficial Aston Villa FC

Darren Bent, Marc Albrighton, Gabby Agbonlahor and Nathan Delfouneso all set for the #villahomekitunveil. http://twitpic.com/5shehy

1 hour ago

I think Smithies would also realise that he's only 21. It's rare that goalkeepers get the number 1 shirt at that age. I mean Joe Hart and David De Gea are relative anomalies really.. Most clubs go for age and experience every time so Smithies unless he's incredible will start to get first team football at the bigger clubs when he's 25-26 which is just right as Given will be out of contract by then.

If he has any ambition as a footballer, he'll only move somewhere he has a chance of first team football. He'd be better of in the lower parts of the PL or the Championship with a chance of playing than being Villa's permanent bench warmer / Carling Cup keeper. If he came here, his career would effectively be on hold for 5 years.

I thought that we had high hopes for Siegrist? If so, no need for Smithies. In five years he should be ready for first team action.

Length of contract equates to drop in wages.

Welcome to the Villa Shay!

Exactly, though that's not the full equation.

Length of contract equates to drop in wages equates to no drop at all for the player. It is slightly strange. I've no doubt it's the only way we could get him and he is a cracking goalkeeper. It would've been perfect had it been 3 years with an option for a 4th, but he's here now. Let's hope he can shoulder plenty of the defensive responsibility for the next half a decade.

If he came here, his career would effectively be on hold for 5 years.
I very much doubt that.

One of the reasons I am not a fan of the Given signing is because I think there will be a bigger onus on our back up goalkeeper. I cannot see Given being an ever present for us and think he will miss his fair share of games. I also think his form will dip as a result ( I actually do not think he will be as good for us as others do, certainly not worth raving over ).

Therefore I happen to think our reserve goalkeeper is vitally important to us and do not have confidence in Guzan being it

Isn't he essentially a down-grade from Brad Friedel?

:lol:

Given is 10 times the player Friedel ever was. Never really rated him, I feel people only thought he was good was because the MOTD panel used to rave about him, but that was only because of his age.

Isn't he essentially a down-grade from Brad Friedel?

:lol:

Given is 10 times the player Friedel ever was. Never really rated him, I feel people only thought he was good was because the MOTD panel used to rave about him, but that was only because of his age.

Haha i also never understood why Friedel was so loved. He made so many errors last season and yet people just brushed them under the carpet. Im glad to see the back of him, was speaking to a spurs fan earlier and he's really not sure on him!

Is it possible to think they're both quality without having to claim one is 'ten times' what the other ever was? Friedel was class. I never liked Given the person, but always respected the goalkeeper.