What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

10 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Bought this for the one standout track that was used in a TV show that we recently watched (and cannot remember what it is).

spacer.png

And no, it's not Sweet Caroline.

Also, most Kenneth album title ever.

Interesting that Sweet Caroline is also the last standout track mentioned on the cover, generally they named what they considered the best tracks first. Time has a way of proving them wrong

Tribute albums are generally shit (and I say that as someone who likes cover versions more than most) but this one is an exception that breaks the rule. From the moment Michael Stipe starts singing Sunday Morning, you're hooked

image.jpeg.
You'll notice how they don’t even mention him in the cover which is rather odd too

• Like 1

On 01/03/2024 at 09:21, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

What are your thoughts @Designer1?

it’s very ambitious and a tonal shift away from their ‘post-punk’ roots with a more danceable beat adopted, whilst still maintaining their wittily acerbic outlook.

Theres some great tracks on there and it’s got better with each listen, Petroleum is my current standout 

looking forward to seeing how the new material transposes live. 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Tribute albums are generally shit (and I say that as someone who likes cover versions more than most) but this one is an exception that breaks the rule. From the moment Michael Stipe starts singing Sunday Morning, you're hooked

image.jpeg.
You'll notice how they don’t even mention him in the cover which is rather odd too

Just looked at the track list - it definitely has some cracking artists on there.

Will have to find time to check it out and wasn’t aware of its release back in 2021

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Will have to find time to check it out and wasn’t aware of its release back in 2021

Well worth investigating 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

From the moment Michael Stipe starts singing Sunday Morning, you're hooked

REM did a pretty good version of 'Femme Fatale', too (B side of 'Superman'). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

REM did a pretty good version of 'Femme Fatale', too (B side of 'Superman'). 

There She Goes Again was the B-side of Radio Free Europe, There’s definitely a Pale Blue Eyes cover out there, After Hours too. There may be another one I've forgotten.

REM are possibly one of the best covers bands that ever existed, they loved a cover and generally did them in the right way, always either paying homage to their heroes or bringing attention to bands their fans may otherwise have never heard of, Strange by Wire springs to mind but as well as the ones they put to vinyl, there’s a bunch more they only did live too

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bickster said:

There’s definitely a Pale Blue Eyes cover out there 

Yep, got it. B side of So. Central Rain. 

• Like 1

Another sampler, this time Beggars Banquet and their offshoot Situation 2. It’s all there on the cover

Decent stuff on here but it’s more typical of the sampler than Pillows and Prayers in that it’s a mixed bag of decent and average

Yes that’s Peter Murphy of that Bauhaus covering Magazine, he really shouldn’t have bothered, he adds nothing

Also much like EBTG on Pillows and Prayers there are three Bauhaus tracks here and it’s clearly after the band split because Love and Rockets wouldn’t be on there otherwise.

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, bickster said:

There She Goes Again was the B-side of Radio Free Europe, There’s definitely a Pale Blue Eyes cover out there, After Hours too. There may be another one I've forgotten.

REM are possibly one of the best covers bands that ever existed, they loved a cover and generally did them in the right way, always either paying homage to their heroes or bringing attention to bands their fans may otherwise have never heard of, Strange by Wire springs to mind but as well as the ones they put to vinyl, there’s a bunch more they only did live too

They played Wichita Lineman at Witton Lane’s funeral, it was apparently his favourite.

• Like 1

YES! absolute shoe-in for one of my AOTY even this early on.

spacer.png

Another banger from Uncle Al and the boys 😎

• Like 1

spacer.png

A little closer to ‘rock’ than ‘alt’ in their alt rock description but still half decent for yet another new to me local band from up them valleys.

Bim Sherman - Exploitation

A fairly straight up roots (with slight Dub inflections) reggae album from one of the sweetest Jamaican voices ever.

Theres nothing particularly remarkable about this but what actually shocked me was how many records I own with Bim singing I own. Now I'm a collector of On-U Sound but still, it’s nearly 50 different records, now most of those aren’t Bim Sherman albums but Adrian Sherwood used him in an awful lot of his projects.

image.jpeg

Continuing in the Sherman vibe - On-U Sound release this time. Update: 35 records that feature Bim Sherman. Also…sheeeeeit, the value of this album has shot up. It's never been rereleased on vinyl to my knowledge. I bought this, I'm guessing in around 1985 (released 1982) for £6.29 it’s now fetching between £50 -£80+ Last time I checked it was in the £20-30 range!

I should also point out that this is a marvellous album and my copy plays perfectly

image.jpeg

Has anyone been brave enough to listen sample the Liam Gallagher / John Squire album?

I think I’ll be giving it a miss, and what I’ve read about it so far has not been great.

51 minutes ago, Genie said:

Has anyone been brave enough to listen sample the Liam Gallagher / John Squire album?

I think I’ll be giving it a miss, and what I’ve read about it so far has not been great.

Yes. It's OK. Yes, Liam is as whiney as ever, but I've always got time for Squire's guitar. Catchy 60s influenced pop/rock, so up my street. Won't be buying it, mind. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes. It's OK. Yes, Liam is as whiney as ever, but I've always got time for Squire's guitar. Catchy 60s influenced pop/rock, so up my street. Won't be buying it, mind. 

Cheers Mike, I might dip my toe tomorrow as some background music whilst working.

Some of the reviews suggest it’s lyrically awful at times (not a surprise), but some decent tracks mixed in.

Â