What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Why ever not? I'm from the progressive rock generation. Got all their albums, and Wilson's solos (although I've been a bit underwhelmed by his more recent efforts). 

Agree on the prog bit, but always thought PT were the heavier end of the prog rock side (particularly at the time with the Opeth influence). Not complaining as its good music :)  

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

Agree on the prog bit, but always thought PT were the heavier end of the prog rock side (particularly at the time with the Opeth influence). Not complaining as its good music :)  

I like Opeth, as long as there's no growling. 

• Like 1

One of today's purchases. I asked if it was still available last week, “don’t think so, might be able to get a CD”. Turn up today and Bob managed to get me a vinyl copy. I do seem to be hitting an early 70s vine at the minute

image.jpeg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Second purchase of the day…

Another timeless classic. More 70s. Curtis Mayfield - Curtis

image.jpeg

Way back when, I was in town to buy a coat, and this album.

Found a coat I liked but it was too expensive, and for the first time ever, I haggled. Went up to the guy and explained I wanted the coat but I needed to keep £7 back for a record I wanted to buy. He asked me what the record was, I told him Curtis, and he agreed it was a good album and knocked the £7 off the coat.

Album still on the regular play shelf, coat long gone.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Way back when, I was in town to buy a coat, and this album.

Found a coat I liked but it was too expensive, and for the first time ever, I haggled. Went up to the guy and explained I wanted the coat but I needed to keep £7 back for a record I wanted to buy. He asked me what the record was, I told him Curtis, and he agreed it was a good album and knocked the £7 off the coat.

Album still on the regular play shelf, coat long gone.

It’s an album I’ve had on a dodgy CD for years, just thought it was about time I bought a proper copy.

• Like 2

The missus is cooking so I can play something she'll moan about

The latest from Ty Segall - Three Bells

I was contemplating not buying this as I considered myself to have enough Ty but this really is a great album having lived with it for a week

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

The missus is cooking so I can play something she'll moan about

The latest from Ty Segall - Three Bells

I was contemplating not buying this as I considered myself to have enough Ty but this really is a great album

image.jpeg

It’s an absolute cracker and gets better with each play! 

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

It’s an absolute cracker and gets better with each play! 

Yep, probably played it five or six times in the last week and it sucks me right in every time. I think it’s one of his best, just a notch below Manipulator I think. I just counted 18 records I own that Ty Segall plays on, so that includes Fuzz, Peacers, Flat Worms and Feels. I really didn’t think it was that many :D 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Xann said:

61QqTHxtSqL._SL1200_-1354633023.jpg.e3a0c06403fc7e78e8cfbb12dbf8d28d.jpg

Jordi Savall & Le Concert Des Nations - 'Les Six Concerts Brandebourgeois' (Brandenburg Concertos)

And one to avoid: 

Jordi Savall (director) Le Concert des Nations (1991)

Jordi Savall usually ensures thrilling rhythmic vitality and elegantly-inflected ensemble playing, but these Brandenburgs from 1991 never quite catch fire. 

Despite first-rate soloists among his Le Concert des Nations, there’s an ordinariness to the phrasing and articulation which sometimes borders on the dull.
In the opening of No. 2 the four soloists sound disconnected, and in the bigger concertos the recording lacks the focus and immediacy which the complexity of the music demands.

Classical-music.com

I've had several recordings of the Brandenburgs over the years (Pinnock, Marriner, Hogwood, etc.) but I always find myself coming back to this one from 1969: 

Screenshot_2024-02-11-13-41-46-61_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

• Haha 1

Â