What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Going through some of my stuff that still hasn't got anti-stat inner sleeves and plastic outer sleeves. And rectifying.

First up this:

spacer.png

Mine has the identical sticker residue where they had to cover up the "Phang" picture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Followed by this(seems to be Proggy Sunday)

spacer.png

The Musical Box is still an unbelievably brilliant piece of music. Tony's madly heavy distorted keyboards, Phil's ability to veer from intricate grooves to prog-metal thrashing to perfectly orchestrated ensemble playing in an instant, Peter's disturbing Edwardian nightmare lyrics, Steve's innovative biting guitars and Mike holding it all together with superb rhythm playing as always. There's never been anything quite like it. And somehow they made it all work as a cohesive piece of work that actually managed to make musical sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Going through some of my stuff that still hasn't got anti-stat inner sleeves and plastic outer sleeves. And rectifying.

First up this:

spacer.png

Mine has the identical sticker residue where they had to cover up the "Phang" picture.

I’ve recently gone through doing something similar but anti stat inners, and removing all the plastic protective outers.

The space it freed up was ridiculous. I decided I’m fairly careful with them, they aren’t jammed in next to each other, I’m not using them as an investment, so what am I protecting them against? They were just stopping me reading the spines when looking for something.

• Like 1

Music journos are generally lowlife, @mjmooney :)  I've had no truck with their opinions since spending time in their company.

Our Baroque and Early music guy used to read the mags and tut, though the one he least scathing of was International Record Review.

Sadly I see that's a goner now.

You can listen to so much on the web, why bother with the self important dicks?

You use Presto? https://www.prestomusic.com/classical 

Line up the different recordings of a piece and check out the samples. Many of the titles that are out of print are there as downloads. Then pick them up on Discogs and Ebay if you want CD?

That way you get a record collection you like.

• Like 1

Carwyn Ellis is a jolly clever chap and together with Rio 18 he’s put out a few Welsh language Latin Americana albums, but I missed this one, Mas. Until he put his test pressings up for sale.  

spacer.png

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Bit of a DJ set earlier today, difficult to tell but I think it went down really well

spacer.png

Nice try, but wrong album. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nice try, but wrong album. 

Picked up in a 2nd hand record shop just to get hold of the track Show Biz Kids, which happily is the first track on one side so I can just play, pick up, repeat.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2024 at 17:41, mjmooney said:

I like Opeth, as long as there's no growling. 

:)

Opeth.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, choffer said:

New Idles (orange) vinyl turned up today. First listen sounds great. 

First Idles album I’m interested in. Nigel Goddich producing has changed the sound and made them less ranty

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

So that’s what the gatefold looks like, mines still in the shrink wrap :D 

I hadn’t played it for an age, I hadn’t really rated it. But tonight I was clearly in the mood, I thought it was just the right blend of clever and tuneful versus assault on the ears. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Next  while later I played the new Idles album, the first Idles album I've been interested in as the rantyness has been toned down and with Nigel Godrich in the producer's chair, its a much different more pastoral version of the band, much more my thing.

Utilitarian black vinyl for me, none of your fancy glow in the dark zeotrope nonsense

NDYtMTg2Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 2

Â