What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Crows - Beware Believers
2091ad02-5d47-678f-d4b8-f7bcb8632ad1.jpg

Came out a week ago on Friday and has been played constantly by me. Saw them in Brum on Saturday and they were fantastic. I think a few VT'ers would like this band. Criminally underrated imo. 

Couple of tracks from the album:

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Crows - Beware Believers
2091ad02-5d47-678f-d4b8-f7bcb8632ad1.jpg

Came out a week ago on Friday and has been played constantly by me. Saw them in Brum on Saturday and they were fantastic. I think a few VT'ers would like this band. Criminally underrated imo. 

Couple of tracks from the album:

Yeah I like those @PieFacE - I'll investigate further.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The latest Midlands album, For The Sake Of Bethel Woods.

nice harmonies and easy to have on in the background. 

I was for a second thinking how did a new Midland album escape me. You have been autocorrected, Midlake. 

• Thanks 1

I thought this was brilliant the first time I heard it, I bought it the week it came out. I still think it's brilliant now

The ctitics of the time hated it. They were wrong. It's still brilliant today, they've never made an album as good since

Everytime I play this, I'm taken back to the album tour and the Birmingham Odeon gig. The Odeon had somewhat cavernous accoutics for live music, it actually suited this perfectly. I can still hear that booming sound of the gig, I can still smell the strange mix of sweat, patchouli oil and leather jackets

The band nearly split up making and touring this, they were not in a good place. Despite that, they created another masterpiece (to go with the two previous albums)

LmpwZWc.jpeg

• Like 3

Hahaha, this happened by accident because the album is one of those annoying records that plays at the wrong speed i.e. 45rpm instead of 33

So on a whim I decided to play the album on 33 anyway, as an experiment to see how far I'd play it before it became annoying

Sentient Oona, the opening track actually works quite well at the wrong speed. The second track Enrique El Cobrador would be a OK but the vocals really do suffer

Anway - Oh Sees - Smote Reverser.

If track 3 sounds bad, it's going on at full speed

NzgtMTkwNi5qcGVn.jpeg

EDIT: Its no play Kylie at 33 and get Rick Astley

On 12/04/2022 at 11:34, theboyangel said:

The latest Midlake album, For The Sake Of Bethel Woods.

nice harmonies and easy to have on in the background. 

It's OK, but nowhere near as good as the Tim Smith era stuff. 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

It's OK, but nowhere near as good as the Tim Smith era stuff. 

Totally agree, but it’s ok nonetheless.

Trials of Van Occupanther is still a cracking listen. 

I’ve had this on today, Daniel Rossen (of Grizzly Bear) and it’s not bad either (You may like it)

image.jpeg.2261229578e556b238f0a9fe0955bad7.jpeg

6 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Yacht rock?

Well, it’s a 1969 album on Tamla Motown, which includes a live drum heavy cover of “Get Ready’.

So I think it’s a no. Not yacht rock. It’s got a definitely end of 60’s psychedelic pop sort of vibe going on. 

But then having said all that, I can see how it could feature somewhere way off to the side on a yacht rock family tree.

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, it’s a 1969 album on Tamla Motown, which includes a live drum heavy cover of “Get Ready’.

So I think it’s a no. Not yacht rock. It’s got a definitely end of 60’s psychedelic pop sort of vibe going on. 

But then having said all that, I can see how it could feature somewhere way off to the side on a yacht rock family tree.

Thats up there with Jah Wobble having a career restrospective three disc cd set released on Trojan Records for music released on strange labels

EDIT: Hold on, the one I'm listening to has got a bit more Motown now

EDIT2: Mowtown meets early Prog, strange combo but I like it

For some reason, I have a fair few records by The Three Johns. Side project of John Langford (of the Mekons) with John Hyatt and John Brennan (real name Patrick iirc).

Track Three is titled Demon Drink and it always reminds me of a gig at Liverpool Uni. It was a John Peel Roadshow, The Three Johns were headlining and Benny Profane were supporting, John Peel was DJing after the Three Johns and yours truly was his warm up man.

John Hyatt who is now a professor of art  and technology (textiles I think) was at the time an alcholic of some immense proportions. He's cleaned up now but how he's alive and a reknowned professor is beyond logic.

Anyway, the band turn up for the soundcheck and John Hyatt just falls asleep behind the speakers, absolutely wrecked, he doesn't soundcheck. Benny profane soundcheck, sleeps through the lot. The other two Johns say to leave him, they'll wake him up if they need to, they just left him. He's threre through me DJing, Benny Prohane onstage, Me Djong again and just before Peel is about to start then introduce the band, they wake him up.

If you didn't know, you'd have no clue, the performance was great.

Anyway, I'm playing The Three Johns - The World By Storm for a bit of nostalgia

LTM2NDQuanBlZw.jpeg

Â