What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Solo album from Jerry Harrison (Talking Heads / Modern Lovers) released in 1987 - Casual Gods. It's a decent album and there's definitely a lot of Talking Heads in there

Charity shop purchase some years back, remember when charity shops had decent records in? Seems like a dream

LmpwZWc.jpeg

• Like 1

spacer.png

A mess of an album, yet somehow, it’s great.

Don’t like the current track that’s playing? Just give it a minute, it’ll change tempo mid song, then turn in to a different song, then have a brief reprise of how it started out then fade and move on to the next track, which also speeds up, slows down, and changes style half way through.

More Welsh. Perfect for a Sunday morning. Minimalist Post-punk from Cardiff 1979. Darlings of Peel, hugely influential, one album and split

It's an absolute belter of an album. Voice (so sweet), bass, guitar and organ, thats it

This is the 1980 first impression on Rough Trade

LTEyMTEuanBlZw.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

More Welsh. Perfect for a Sunday morning. Minimalist Post-punk from Cardiff 1979. Darlings of Peel, hugely influential, one album and split

It's an absolute belter of an album. Voice (so sweet), bass, guitar and organ, thats it

LTEyMTEuanBlZw.jpeg

For some reason I always thought they were an Athens Georgia band. Not entirely sure where I got that idea. 

• Haha 1

This one is worth really silly money for reasons I don't understand. I was a huge hit there should be gazillions of them out there. It's a first UK pressing (but the original is US), there are two versions based on the pressing plants, that doesn't make any difference

Median price £50-60, This one is actually in a conditionIt's well known that this is a pretty rubbish pressing that it would fetch much higher than that

One comment from a seller on Discogs..."It's well known that this is a pretty rubbish pressing" The value is utterly baffling

NC03MTU3LmpwZWc.jpeg

1 hour ago, bickster said:

LTEyMTEuanBlZw.jpeg

You gave me a copy of that one ages ago (thanks, again). I kind of like it, but it's got weird kind of time signatures (or whatever they're called) on quite a lot of the songs, which makes it (for me) quite hard to listen to more than one song at any one time.

Think you may have given me the other one of theirs I've got, too? "Salad days" - I don't remember buying it, anyway. I think I actually prefer that one, even though it's a comp of singles (I think).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

You gave me a copy of that one ages ago (thanks, again). I kind of like it, but it's got weird kind of time signatures (or whatever they're called) on quite a lot of the songs, which makes it (for me) quite hard to listen to more than one song at any one time.

Think you may have given me the other one of theirs I've got, too? "Salad days" - I don't remember buying it, anyway. I think I actually prefer that one, even though it's a comp of singles (I think).

Isn’t it a double cd of both? IIRC I ordered 2 by mistake

I think it contains everything they recorded

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Y’know what, I’m in the same boat. I listen to YMG sometimes and think, this is genius I need to get sorted on this stuff. Then I listen back a month later, and I think ‘Nope’. I really do flip flop on them. They’ve had a recent mini revival and I nearly bought something, then you get to the point where it’s putting your money down, and I back out again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Isn’t it a double cd of both? IIRC I ordered 2 by mistake

Ah, I was looking at the album(s) on my computer music app, so could well be - the mp3s show up under 2 different album covers.

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 14.27.07.jpg

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Ah, I was looking at the album(s) on my computer music app, so could well be - the mp3s show up under 2 different album covers.

Makes sense because most of the other stuff was released as Salad Days in it's own right, contains the original bedroom recordings of the tracks on the album proper plus peel sessions, out-takes etc

• Thanks 1

Soundtrack album of the 1967 documentary on "Swinging London" - Tonight Lets All Make Love In London

Contains various bits of Interstellar Overdrive by Pink Floyd. Vashti Bunyan, Small Faces and Chris Farlow interspersed with bits of interviews from the film by Michael Caine, Mick Jagger, Andrew Loog Oldham, Lee Marvin and others. Some of the things that are said have not stood the test of time. If Michael Caine was to say what he said today, he'd get lynched

And yes, it does contain the famous Alan Ginsberg quote that is the title of the film

MjItNTY0Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

New Reggae album of the year, possibly. Horace Andy - Midnight Rockers. Out this week, which true to On-U Sound form is at least 18 months after it was meant to appear

Horace Andy has such a great voice. Three tracks even manage to feature Style Scott on drums, who has been dead 8 years (AMS will have a huge library of samples and clips, even whole tracks that haven't been used before and even some that have, it's the way he works) and 5 tracks feature the recently deceased bassman George Oban. Lots of other On-U regulars also feature

Track 3 is a great cover of Safe From Harm by Massive Attack, this song also contains the album title in it's lyrics (Shara Nelson was first recorded and produced by AMS which lead her later into the Massive Attack fold)

The writing credits always interest me, it seems that some of the tracks were penned by Jeb loy Nichols / Adrian Sherwood / George Oban, some are Horace Andy compositions (H. Hinds). I now have to find out who L. Kenny really is as he gets a few credits in there.

A new On-U album always excites me

OTItMzI0MC5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

Double album, covering from ‘76 to ‘22 with the best, cleanest version of Janet Kay / Silly Games I think I’ve ever heard. Although that could be down to new speakers and some recabling!

spacer.png

• Like 1

Â