What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

The guy on the first floor of the market on the Shambles?

No, a shop on the walk out of town, I was heading to the park and just nipped in on the off chance.

Pricing policy appeared to be £5 or £10 depending on whether they were currently popular or not.

I’ll go back when I’ve got more time, tiny shop, but apparently loads ‘out the back’ unsighted if I wanted to go behind the magic curtain…

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

No, a shop on the walk out of town, I was heading to the park and just nipped in on the off chance.

Ah, that's the Tything. Only been open the once when I've been passing. He's just vinyl isn't he?

This guy's nice, and there's usually something interesting... http://www.markethallrecords.co.uk/about-us/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xann said:

Ah, that's the Tything. Only been open the once when I've been passing. He's just vinyl isn't he?

This guy's nice, and there's usually something interesting... http://www.markethallrecords.co.uk/about-us/

Yes, vinyl only. Nothing cleaned up, no coding of quality, he’s not exactly pouring over discogs for his pricing. Yes, it was a walk along from town, along the Tything, then Gheluvelt Park, and back along the river alongside the race track.

Stupid thing was, this morning I left in a rush and had a last minute change of clothes. I’d chucked on a tee, that only once it was on I saw it was Spillers Records. No bother, that’ll do. Then I’ve ended up in a record shop, bought a couple of records and didn’t have my man bag with me. So I ended up walking around for an hour in a record shop tee shirt, holding two albums. I looked like a knob.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, @Lichfield Dean and @cyrusr, you were both right. I’ve blasted it with some headphones on a few times since and it’s grown on me quite a bit. I still don’t think I’ll ever get on board with Twenties but everything else is superb. All it’s missing is a full length instrumental Miasma style. One of my favourite parts and I can’t believe I didn’t notice this the first few times, is that the last part of the closing track is the chords from the opener Imperium, coming round full circle to close it off. Great stuff. 

Darkness at the heart of my Love is my favourite song. Hoping it’s a future single.

Ill round my initial score up to 8.5. 

• Like 1

Sometimes you just have to play the best album by the best band from Liverpool ever

I've said this before. This album changed my lifepath, I would not be where I am or who I am without this album

I will play this until my dying day. I'm playing the first edition vinyl but I also have 2 CD's (One a 25th anniversary remaster) plus all the tracks again in a box set. This vinyl plays brilliantly and it really shouldn't, you only have to look at the cover to know it's been played extensively. I know it nit just note for note but I know all the little textures low down in the mix on somesongs and I know the empty spaces

This is usually my answer to the what is the best album ever made question.

LTM3ODIuanBlZw.jpeg

• Like 2

Today is a good day for many reasons I won't bore you with but a weight was lifted from my shoulders and I now as a consequence also have a bit of spare cash that might have been needed elsewhere but now isn't. So I did what I nearly always do when I'm feeling happy. I went record shopping because I can

I think it was @KentVillan that also posted a tune by this lot around the same time I heard a track on the radio. It was on a mental list somewhere and today I spotted it in Jacaranda Records. In the bag it went

It's just funky organ led jazz / funk / soul intrumentals, very lounge but I dig it. The younger me would have been horrified that I like this

MTYtNDAzMC5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dub Session! The beer is opened

A reissue of Soul Jazz's 2004 compilation of Coxsone Dodd's Dubs for his label Studio One

This is actually testing the bass end of my set up, some of the bass does distort a little but I think that's the original recording doing that.

First track side 2. Creator Dub, the rhythm clearly pulled from No, No, No by Dawn Penn is magnificent

MjAtNTMxNC5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

@chrisp65said at some point in the past, "Do I really need another Trees Speak album?" and I kind of agreed with him having two already (as did he I think)

But I'm such a knobhead, I bought a third today...

31 tracks in total when you include the "free" 7 inch single

This one is much more Library Music than German Electronic inspired

NTEtNDExMC5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m still resisting that latest trees Speak, for some reason I’m really offended by the student pretentiousness of the title!

Currently listening to…

spacer.png

New sealed copy of that Sun Ra: £10

but yeah, your Studio One Dub is an absolute doozie and a real good argument for the glory of the compilation. I was lucky enough to pick mine up a little while back when the prices were a bit less fashion conscious.

spacer.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m still resisting that latest trees Speak, for some reason I’m really offended by the student pretentiousness of the title!

Yeah it is a bit, definitely. Second disc is far less library than the first, there's guitars and what can only be described as riffage

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

New sealed copy of that Sun Ra: £10

I have a Sun Ra double album compilation (by Giles Peterson) which as a primer is very good

But as a complete aside today I was looking in the Sale section in Jacaranda Records today and loads of unsold RSD stock from multiple years. They must have had 5 copies of the reissue of the Ice-hockey Hair 12", reduced to £13.99, reduced ffs, who in their right mind pays that for a 12" single. There was also a Suicide 10" of Cheree reduced to the same price. I very rarely buy singles these days because they really don't represent value at all

Yes, there’s definitely more and more unsold RSD stuff around the place. Somebody needs to man up and suggest it needs an overhaul.

There was a Future Sound Of London one today, but the price was still silly.

I’ve been a bit lucky with the 12” single stuff, I really don’t have much but I do have Screamadelica (weirdly, not on the album Screamadelica) and I got that Ice Hockey Hair one, because it’s not on an album and its the best Beach Boys tune ever recorded. The Screamadelica was an accident, I was after the Riot City album and they kept back the wrong thing and I think it cost me a tenner, which is still an awful lot. No idea what the Ice Hockey Hair cost, I think I bundled it so I wouldn’t notice the price. But they were exceptions, as you say there’s no value in singles and twelves.

spacer.png

double album, as new, £8 and its a thing of beauty and zoning me right out

mildly irritated by the use of the descriptor ‘ex’ instead of ‘nm’, there’s no need for that sort of malarkey

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

mildly irritated by the use of the descriptor ‘ex’ instead of ‘nm’, there’s no need for that sort of malarkey

It's the pre-Discogs second-hand nomenclature, a lot of shops, especially the non-online presence ones still use it

My mother used to have a copy of that Under Milk Wood, no idea what happened to it as I'd quite like to still have it

• Like 1

There’s a dub mash up of John Holt Ali Baba and Richard Burton reading Under Milk Wood, called “under dub wood”. and it’s marvellous. It might even have been a RSD release about a decade ago

£10 on bandcamp for the vinyl. Quid for the download

• Like 2

Â