What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, it’s a 1969 album on Tamla Motown, which includes a live drum heavy cover of “Get Ready’.

So I think it’s a no. Not yacht rock. It’s got a definitely end of 60’s psychedelic pop sort of vibe going on. 

But then having said all that, I can see how it could feature somewhere way off to the side on a yacht rock family tree.

Thats up there with Jah Wobble having a career restrospective three disc cd set released on Trojan Records for music released on strange labels

EDIT: Hold on, the one I'm listening to has got a bit more Motown now

EDIT2: Mowtown meets early Prog, strange combo but I like it

For some reason, I have a fair few records by The Three Johns. Side project of John Langford (of the Mekons) with John Hyatt and John Brennan (real name Patrick iirc).

Track Three is titled Demon Drink and it always reminds me of a gig at Liverpool Uni. It was a John Peel Roadshow, The Three Johns were headlining and Benny Profane were supporting, John Peel was DJing after the Three Johns and yours truly was his warm up man.

John Hyatt who is now a professor of art  and technology (textiles I think) was at the time an alcholic of some immense proportions. He's cleaned up now but how he's alive and a reknowned professor is beyond logic.

Anyway, the band turn up for the soundcheck and John Hyatt just falls asleep behind the speakers, absolutely wrecked, he doesn't soundcheck. Benny profane soundcheck, sleeps through the lot. The other two Johns say to leave him, they'll wake him up if they need to, they just left him. He's threre through me DJing, Benny Prohane onstage, Me Djong again and just before Peel is about to start then introduce the band, they wake him up.

If you didn't know, you'd have no clue, the performance was great.

Anyway, I'm playing The Three Johns - The World By Storm for a bit of nostalgia

LTM2NDQuanBlZw.jpeg

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

That's that two piece with the Zac De La Rocha wannabee on vox isn't it?

Saw them supporting Offspring.

I posted this when I bought it  afew weeks ago but today it's the wake up album of choice because I just found out that I ws given an aknowledgement in a new book about reggae. The author Stu Borthwick (an old friend) said that at one point when he was writing the book he realised that he hadn't written about On-U Sound, this was a serious ommission and I was a big reason he shifted his focus to include them. Well that's a nice thing to wake up to even if it means I'll have to buy the book now.

Anyway On-U Sounds latest

Horace Andy - Midnight Rocker. The cover of Massive Attack's Safe From Harm still stands out

OTItMzI0MC5qcGVn.jpeg

This is the book

71aIeSjAtwL-416x624.jpg

• Like 3

Beatriz Ferreyra has become one of my favorites, she's in her eighties but her recent music sounds more interesting and innovative than most modern day electronic music from much younger composers, was hoping that INA GRM would release a boxset like they've done with Parmegiani, Bayle and Luc Ferrari. Natasha Barrett's 'Leap Seconds' was one of my favorite albums from last year.

Sheeit, well this one has shocked me when I looked it up

Poltergeist - Your Mind Is A Box (Let Us Fill It With Wonder) from 2013

Poltergeist were Will Sergeant & Les Pattinson (Bunnymen and former Bunnyman) having a little fun instrumental project but they are no more as shortly after this was recorded Les emigrated to Australia. I did see Will perform this live once with Les' Bass and the drums on tape. It is clearly Les' distinctive bass playing (and obviously Will's guitar). It's a Bunnymen album without vocals (and the ego)

Only ever 200 copies released and now fetching silly money on DIscogs. The prices are steadily approaching the £100 mark and there are none currently for sale.

MS0zMzAxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Â