What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Probably the record I own that has increased in value (according to that Discogs) faster than any other

It's also not even a first pressing (2014), it's the second (2015) and before that even, it was two separate albums

KIng Gizzard and the Lizaed Wizard - Float Along - FIll Your Lungs / Oddments

There are three for sale currently in the UK the prices range between £170 - £100

You should see the prices for the original separate albums 😮

OC00MTc2LmpwZWc.jpeg

• Like 2

Ghost - Impera

Its….. ok. No where near the heights of Prequelle. It has really good songs on it and some duffers. Twenties is truly awful. The biggest thing I’ve noticed is that Tobias appears to have forgotten how to write songs. I swear every song has about 6 different lines repeated over and over. Watcher in the Sky is a banger ruined by the same line repeated about a thousand times. Call me little sunshine has a cool groove but the chorus is just sang over and over with little variation lyrically in between. 

I’ve also noticed the themes they talk about pre album release are utter nonsense. This was supposed to be about empires/civilisations/cities coming to an end but the songs don’t really reflect that. At least with Prequelle you had Rats with its not so subtle link to the plague. There doesn’t seem to be as much as cohesion song to song thematically with Impera as there was previously. 

I don’t know, maybe I was expecting too much. Was looking forward to this and it’s still a good album but could have been so much better. It just feels like an album where they have struck on a formula with Prequelle and followed it again here but with pomposity and ridiculousness dialled up a bit more and less clever songwriting. Maybe I’m being harsh but it ain’t clicking with me much. 

6/10.

Edited by Ingram85

9 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Ghost - Impera

Its….. ok. No where near the heights of Prequelle. It has really good songs on it and some duffers. Twenties is truly awful. The biggest thing I’ve noticed is that Tobias appears to have forgotten how to write songs. I swear every song has about 6 different lines repeated over and over. Searchlight is a banger ruined by the same line repeated about a thousand times. Call me little sunshine has a cool groove but the chorus is just sang over and over with little variation lyrically in between. 

I’ve also noticed the themes they talk about pre album release are utter nonsense. This was supposed to be about empires/civilisations/cities coming to an end but the songs don’t really reflect that. At least with Prequelle you had Rats with its not so subtle link to the plague. There doesn’t seem to be as much as cohesion song to song thematically with Impera as there was previously. 

I don’t know, maybe I was expecting too much. Was looking forward to this and it’s still a good album but could have been so much better. It just feels like an album where they have struck on a formula with Prequelle and followed it again here but with pomposity and ridiculousness dialled up a bit more and less clever songwriting. Maybe I’m being harsh but it ain’t clicking with me much. 

6/10.

It's grown on me. Spillways and Watcher I think are superb, and I like Call Me Little Sunshine personally.

I think your point about repetitive sections on the songs. I'd argue he has always done that, for instance Cirice doesn't have a lot to it if you sit down and analyse it. But what Tobias does, and I think he does on this album too, is take those shortish themes and replay them in subtly different ways throughout the tune, altering the dynamics and the instruments and so on. I am always amazed at how much detail he puts into this and how he manages to make it work, and it keeps the songs breathing and changing as they progress.

I agree about Twenties - did not need to be on there at all. I can sort of see where they were going but it comes across as a failed sort of Rocky Horror Show reject.

Is this their best album? I don't think so. In some ways it's perhaps their most consistent (Twenties aside), and like you say it does come across as Prequelle with the pomposity ramped up, but for me Meloria is their best.

• Like 1

Intrigued by the reference to Twenties by Ghost I just gave it a listen. I had never heard Ghost before but appreciate they are well respected. Lyrically Twenties is appalling, they could give Des'ree a run for her money. 

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Intrigued by the reference to Twenties by Ghost I just gave it a listen. I had never heard Ghost before but appreciate they are well respected. Lyrically Twenties is appalling, they could give Des'ree a run for her money. 

I mean, you did pick possibly the worst lyrics there 🙂

Most of the rest of their songs are just about Lucifer.

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I mean, you did pick possibly the worst lyrics there 🙂

Most of the rest of their songs are just about Lucifer.

I am fairly open to metal. I quite like a lot of heavy stuff. Any track you could mention that is worth a listen?

35 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am fairly open to metal. I quite like a lot of heavy stuff. Any track you could mention that is worth a listen?

The song that got me into Ghost was Cirice. My favourite song is See the Light. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The song that got me into Ghost was Cirice. My favourite song is See the Light. 

Add “Ritual” to the list along with say “Square Hammer”. They do some covers as well which always sound decent enough (“Missionary Man”; “It’s a Sin”).

With the new album, the singles pre release were hit and miss (didn’t like Call me Little Sunshine) but I quite liked Twenties, just don’t think about it too much but found it very catchy.

First listen of the whole album and thought it was completely duff but then for the rest of the weekend I kept getting ear worms of the songs and actually now I really love it. Even call me little sunshine I really like. One review I watch explained how it works better as an album rather than songs and I think that is right and I really like it. 

Has it gone quite “poppy”? Definitely. Is it there best album? Probably not, but they all have their own quirks that’s for sure. People will definitely have their own favourites for various reasons.

Still looking forward to seeing them next month though :D 

Â