What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

On 03/07/2021 at 13:05, chrisp65 said:

Best concept album about a couple heading towards divorce?

Easy.

spacer.png

Bobby Gillespie and Jehnny Beth got together wrote some songs and some music and it turned out really good. Much better than it should have, there’s not a filler or a weak track on there. You’d have to say Bobby’s voice benefits from studio conditions, its a great album but I can’t imagine he could get anywhere close to as good live.

This’ll be high up the end of year top ten list. 

In the middle of side 2 right now, its fantastic. Especially as its basically two bands colliding, Primal Scream with John and Jehn (Yeah I know she's in Savages too but John and Jehn is just her and her partner Johnny Hostile)

It reminds me a little (only a little) of the Mercury Rev reboot of the Bobby Gentry Delta Sweete

• Like 1

Having this back in the collection is magical, an album I've really missed

New Age Steppers were a typical On-U Sound project, different players on different tracks, different writers. Primarily with Ari Up singing and playing lots of instruments. I like the Slits  which Ari is known for but NAS was her On-U vehicle with the assorted label players around her in varying line-ups on each song. This was the second album they released in 1981 and its a little bit more melodic than the first but somehow it seems more together than the first which is a bit heavier on the Dub

This also features Nenneh Cherry, Eskimo Fox, Crucial Tony, George Oban and Bim Sherman

NAS were really the first ON-U collaboration project bringing in "Singers and Players" from various other bands to produce something new between them and its one of the reasons I love this label and Adrian Sherwood, he takes the parts and makes them whole

R-17761693-1615290765-3421.jpeg.jpg

This is the one Nenneh Cherry and Bim Sherman sing on, its f***ing awesome.... My Love

4 hours ago, bickster said:

What I’m about to start listening to or “Man Goes Mad in a Record Shop”

Rushed out of work into town to make Probe before it shut.

I failed in any kind of restraint

5AA0CCD1-209A-4075-8999-D35DA212F59E.jpeg

Interested to hear your thoughts on Snapped Ankles and the Rose City Band offerings. 

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Interested to hear your thoughts on Snapped Ankles and the Rose City Band offerings. 

Snapped Ankles, I've listened to once so far and I think it needs further plays. It's not as instant as the first two albums in that it appears more laid back than the first two but also a little more complex in arrangement. I'll report back in a few days

Not played Rose City Band yet but I expect good things as he's never disappointed me yet but I'm running out of time tonight because I think I'm on my last one before bed, talking of which...

• Like 1

The Liminanas - The World We Knew

Another band I adore, The Liminanas but not a band album a soundtrack to a film.

I have no idea of what the film is like, I bought it as a fan of the band

French Psyche but with some heavy nods to Spaghetti Western Morricone and possibly others my ears don't recognise. The Morricone thing has always been there with the Liminanas but its much more to the fore in places here

That sticker on the cover is a lie, some of these are tunes not songs there is a song with the same name as the film and its the only cover, credited to Bert Kaempfert (originally released in 1967 my research tells me)

R-19118020-1623524717-5466.jpeg.jpg

Have an example

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Seat68 said:

image.jpeg.13e8c10f25791d24cdbd0b738555a3d1.jpeg

**** yeah, Quality stuff! God what has happened to that band. Last good album was Nightmare. I remember the first album I listened to was City of Evil, one of my all time favourite albums. Shame. Hope they recapture the good times again. 

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

**** yeah, Quality stuff! God what has happened to that band. Last good album was Nightmare. I remember the first album I listened to was City of Evil, one of my all time favourite albums. Shame. Hope they recapture the good times again. 

Someone mentioned in passing Avenged Sevenfold a few days back and my only thought was how **** great this album was. I hadnt played it in some time so wanted to see if it held up. It absolutely held up. 

10 hours ago, bickster said:

The Liminanas - The World We Knew

Another band I adore, The Liminanas but not a band album a soundtrack to a film.

I have no idea of what the film is like, I bought it as a fan of the band

French Psyche but with some heavy nods to Spaghetti Western Morricone and possibly others my ears don't recognise. The Morricone thing has always been there with the Liminanas but its much more to the fore in places here

That sticker on the cover is a lie, some of these are tunes not songs there is a song with the same name as the film and its the only cover, credited to Bert Kaempfert (originally released in 1967 my research tells me)

R-19118020-1623524717-5466.jpeg.jpg

Have an example

This is excellent @bickster

I'm going to track down the movie too, as it sounds right up my street :thumb:

• Like 1

So onto Rose City Band - Earth Trip. Ripley Johnson's solo country inspired act. This is his third album in as many years. I missed the second one but have the first

The first one was psyche with a hint of country, the second was a bit more country. This one is country with a hint of psyche, its very much in @Seat68territory

You still know it's RIpley playing, it has his guitar flourishes but in a much more minimal way and even more laid back than he usually is

I find myself asking a question. Would I buy this if I didn't like all the other RP bands? I'm not so sure I would but I did buy it and I like it because I like all his other material and his sun drenched stylings are kind of etched in my head so it sounds instantly familiar

R-19260553-1624550160-9197.jpeg.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

So onto Rose City Band - Earth Trip. Ripley Johnson's solo country inspired act. This is his third album in as many years. I missed the second one but have the first

The first one was psyche with a hint of country, the second was a bit more country. This one is country with a hint of psyche, its very much in @Seat68territory

You still know it's RIpley playing, it has his guitar flourishes but in a much more minimal way and even more laid back than he usually is

I find myself asking a question. Would I buy this if I didn't like all the other RP bands? I'm not so sure I would but I did buy it and I like it because I like all his other material and his sun drenched stylings are kind of etched in my head so it sounds instantly familiar

Will give it a run through tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I've waffled enough upthread about New Age Steppers. This is their third from 1983 - Foundation Steppers. This time Ari Up and Bim Sherman share the vocal duties throughout but the list of players just gets bigger and some pretty well known names in there like Bingy Bunny and Erol Flabber Holt, mixed in with the usual On-U posse and some utter randoms that sound like they walked into the studio to deliver something, credited as Derek, Cooper and Jay

This is decades ahead of its time, it really is

R-17761639-1615290460-9275.jpeg.jpg

spacer.png

How’s that for a shabby old cover!

To be fair its the best part of 40 years old.

The vinyl was in a similar state but a bit of a squirt and a bit of a rub and it came up with zero jumps bumps n lumps.

Power Pop / Garage Rock / 2nd wave Mod, whatever you want to call it, it was Britpop before its time.

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Tracks from this popped up on a spotify playlist I listen to. I enjoyed it to be honest. It reminded me a little of the more mellow elements of Primal Scream or even old Mazzy Star. Its definitely something I would listen to again  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

This arrived today. Condition is basically like new off the shelves and it plays well.

7EAD5661-33DD-4E47-9DCE-6964819FFD83.jpeg

Look after the Obi Strip, amazing how much value gets dropped off an album if it is missing the Obi Strip or the strip is damaged. I have a couple of 80's 12" singles that should have them, both in great condition apart from the missing strips, worth about a third of what they would be if the strip was intact.

I know you aren't collecting for monetary gain (nor am I) but you might as well retain the value just in case you do want to sell in the future

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Look after the Obi Strip, amazing how much value gets dropped off an album if it is missing the Obi Strip or the strip is damaged. I have a couple of 80's 12" singles that should have them, both in great condition apart from the missing strips, worth about a third of what they would be if the strip was intact.

I know you aren't collecting for monetary gain (nor am I) but you might as well retain the value just in case you do want to sell in the future

Yep, I decided to drop going after first presses. Too expensive and pointless. Plus it kind of takes the enjoyment out of it. I bought this one purely based on the novelty. Japanese pressing from 1976 with the smart OBI strip and lyric sheet in Japanese. He had it up as mint condition and it is in superb condition. It weren’t expensive either. 

• Like 1

Â