What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

spacer.png

Part of a limited edition of 300 set that includes pink orange and yellow vinyl, three autographed band pics, tote bag and large poster.

spacer.png

On 26/06/2021 at 15:00, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

Turns out, on listening to the download of this in the car this morning, that the download is the album, plus a whole lot of alternate takes and additional material.

So given that it was £15 and includes lyrics, a poster and a download that had lots of additional music on it, I’m quite chuffed! Not least, because the actual vinyl is also probably the best sounding thing I’ve ever bought. I’m happy to have clicks and hiss on some 1977 Jamaican crap pressing because the dirt is there on the original, it adds to it. I’m going out looking for some of that dirt tomorrow, back to the £11 plastic fantastics. This record, there’s deep silence in the gaps. I’d expect that on some £30 Deutsche Grammophon pressing but wasn’t expecting it for £15.

Originally rejected by the record company without even listening to the whole thing. Binned after hearing only a few of the tracks. For me, it pulls off that tricky middle of the road place where it’s obviously country rock Americana but it stays the right side of the line marked ‘endless noodling for no purpose other than to show you how clever I am and disappearing up its own arse’.

Thank you for listening, enjoy your day.

• Like 1

I had 30 minutes to kill in Tooting today, so I did the only sensible thing and popped in to Dub Vendor.

There’s no shop as such, it’s really a mail order business run from a shared block. But they’re a friendly bunch and there’s a coffee shop on the ground floor so basically you can phone them up and get them to bring something downstairs. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I had 30 minutes to kill in Tooting today, so I did the only sensible thing and popped in to Dub Vendor.

On my list of shops to visit now the daughter lives in tooting

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

On my list of shops to visit now the daughter lives in tooting

Tooting and all those surrounding areas looked quite interesting, the whole route between Balham, Tooting, Streatham all looked worth a bit of psycho geography. Just some stunning Art Deco architecture, both blocks of flats and shops and offices.

30 minutes up the road I found this place, and just stood in awe for a while:

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s no shop as such, it’s really a mail order business run from a shared block. But they’re a friendly bunch and there’s a coffee shop on the ground floor so basically you can phone them up and get them to bring something downstairs. 

spacer.png

Did they once have a shop Notting Hill Gate way. There was a a dub shop over that way in the 90s and I think it was dub vendor. 

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Did they once have a shop Notting Hill Gate way. There was a a dub shop over that way in the 90s and I think it was dub vendor. 

I don’t know tbh, but there is a very good chance. They’ve been going since the ‘70’s and have had numerous shops in numerous locations.

They’re purely online now, by choice, but they said today they’ve had a good busy 12 months that’s just starting to ease off now. Which probably coincides with people having more options on how to spend their money now.

• Like 1

Lately the record I've listened to most is nothing less than modern Swedish electropop, so all the 70s heavy rockers are warned 😄
It's smarter than Royksopp, sexier than Robyn and more epic than The Knife.

iamamiwhoami - blue

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Thats Dub Vendor Record Shack on Ladbroke Grove almost under the Westway EDIT: Which closed years ago aparently

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t know tbh, but there is a very good chance. They’ve been going since the ‘70’s and have had numerous shops in numerous locations.

They’re purely online now, by choice, but they said today they’ve had a good busy 12 months that’s just starting to ease off now. Which probably coincides with people having more options on how to spend their money now.

And a worldwide shortage of vinyl apparently

• Like 2

On 29/06/2021 at 10:39, chrisp65 said:

Turns out, on listening to the download of this in the car this morning, that the download is the album, plus a whole lot of alternate takes and additional material.

So given that it was £15 and includes lyrics, a poster and a download that had lots of additional music on it, I’m quite chuffed! Not least, because the actual vinyl is also probably the best sounding thing I’ve ever bought. I’m happy to have clicks and hiss on some 1977 Jamaican crap pressing because the dirt is there on the original, it adds to it. I’m going out looking for some of that dirt tomorrow, back to the £11 plastic fantastics. This record, there’s deep silence in the gaps. I’d expect that on some £30 Deutsche Grammophon pressing but wasn’t expecting it for £15.

Originally rejected by the record company without even listening to the whole thing. Binned after hearing only a few of the tracks. For me, it pulls off that tricky middle of the road place where it’s obviously country rock Americana but it stays the right side of the line marked ‘endless noodling for no purpose other than to show you how clever I am and disappearing up its own arse’.

Thank you for listening, enjoy your day.

TBF, only "Life's Greatest Fool" is out-and-out country rock. The rest is more swirling ambient mystical hippy philosophical  stream-of-consciousness deep shit (that is a Spotify genre, isn't it?) 

Plain old CD for cloth ears me, but it's still one of my favourite albums. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don’t have a CD player at the moment, still looking. I’ve got too many CD’s not to have a CD player.

Nearly got a Cambridge one and then remembered the last Cambridge one I had did this weird stop between tracks, even when the tracks were supposed to roll one in to the other. Checked reviews online, and yep, the one I was looking at does the same annoying trick.

Anyway!

Some would say, the first ever Dub album. Proper old school, just turning the bass and treble knobs up and down… genius.

spacer.png

Best concept album about a couple heading towards divorce?

Easy.

spacer.png

Bobby Gillespie and Jehnny Beth got together wrote some songs and some music and it turned out really good. Much better than it should have, there’s not a filler or a weak track on there. You’d have to say Bobby’s voice benefits from studio conditions, its a great album but I can’t imagine he could get anywhere close to as good live.

This’ll be high up the end of year top ten list. 

• Like 2

Proper record buying tommorrow but the missus wanted to go to Southport today becaquse M&S is always less packed than the other nearby ones and halfway there, I remembered there was a second-hand record shop I wanted to check out

Bought this to add to my Creation Records collection. Not really something I remember so it was a bit of a punt. A downtempo dubby thing with samples (Funkadelic is definitely one sample), it isn't what I was expecting at all, it fits in well with the Screamadelica period of Creation Records. Bought for £15, Discogs median price - £26

Sheer - Absolutely Sheer from 1992

R-205538-1299254589.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Bought for a giggle (less than a fiver)

It is not the soundtrack, it is a German compilation of German bands doing music inspired by the film original and covers like Born to Be Wild & Land of the Rising Sun

Amusing, it could easy be music from that section of Spinal Tap that deals with the bands history

R-14963203-1584806433-5898.jpeg.jpg

Â