What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I thought I recognised the band from on here before. I remember someone, I think it may have been you posting that link before. 

‘Cos of virus, I’ve not seen them in a little while.

But when they were touring that album, they were the best live gig experience around. It defies all logic how two people can make such a wall of noise.

If you ever did get the chance to go see them, with your love of ‘live’, I would recommend you give them a punt. Better live than on vinyl.

Imagine this in a pub back room type venue with the volume turned up to 11…

• Like 3

Yeah, I suspect that’s why the Welsh Clwb has been missed off the last few attempts at organising a tour, I think they got too big to justify a back room venue.

It’s just the best bloody back room venue in the country. I love a room where the sweat condenses on the concrete ceiling and drips back down on you.

Every time I think of a truly great gig, it was in the Clwb or somewhere just like it. Lovely Eggs, Boy Azooga, Shonen Knife, The Earth. Alabama 3 played a snooker hall in Swansea once, 10 people on the stage 70 in the crowd. Super Furries played the back room of the Farmer’s Market in Brecon, with a full laser show. Saw Lee Scratch Perry in the banking hall of a closed down branch of Lloyds. Idles, in Spillers Records.

You can stick anything containing an O and a 2 or the name of the city in the title.

I may have strayed off topic…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I've got that.

"Song To The Sun/Ozymandias/Don't Let It rain" is a real standout. can't remember any of the other tracks.

There's a NM copy on Discogs for £3 or "make an offer"!

Just caught the last bit about Discogs. I’ll be making an account once this album is finished. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I suspect that’s why the Welsh Clwb has been missed off the last few attempts at organising a tour, I think they got too big to justify a back room venue.

It’s just the best bloody back room venue in the country. I love a room where the sweat condenses on the concrete ceiling and drips back down on you.

Every time I think of a truly great gig, it was in the Clwb or somewhere just like it. Lovely Eggs, Boy Azooga, Shonen Knife, The Earth. Alabama 3 played a snooker hall in Swansea once, 10 people on the stage 70 in the crowd. Super Furries played the back room of the Farmer’s Market in Brecon, with a full laser show. Saw Lee Scratch Perry in the banking hall of a closed down branch of Lloyds. Idles, in Spillers Records.

You can stick anything containing an O and a 2 or the name of the city in the title.

I may have strayed off topic…

Those types of places are good. There was a pub in Preston, whose name I've forgotten  - The Mill (after a mooney) -   Fall gigs and HMHB and John Cooper Clark and others.  Upstairs, low ceiling, black room. Tremendous. The sound is usually a bit hit or miss in the small places, though. I prefer me a Gorilla sized place. Having said that @bickster and I saw Antlers in a tiny student union room in Manchester and it was **** brilliant.

er, anyway - Album - Carnage, Nick Cave and Warren Ellis at the mo'

• Like 2

I thought, incorrectly, The Lovely Eggs would be a million miles from Anjelica, but it seems not. Anjelica was at one time a favourite of my wife and I could see her going for that. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, blandy said:

The Liverpool one isn't that bad tbh. 2 Venues, the bigger one is a decent gig (1200 capacity I think) and the smaller one is still decent (500)

Just don't use the bar as you feel like you paid someone a fortune to make you drink shite

But having said that, there are venues I much prefer and plenty of them. Like Pete said Gorilla in Manchester for one but there are decent venues in Liverpool of all sizes these days too (Wasn't the case for a long while)

• Like 1

I've booked tickets to see Gojira in Nottingham next year. Listening to the warmup acts this afternoon, starting with Alien Weaponry's Tū never heard of them before, so far so good

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've booked tickets to see Gojira in Nottingham next year. Listening to the warmup acts this afternoon, starting with Alien Weaponry's Tū never heard of them before, so far so good

I've seen Gojira a couple of times and they are always good value.

One of the gigs they played was a double headliner in Brum with Ghost which cost me the measly sum of £5! I bet there's a few newer fans who would have like to have been at that one 😄

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I've never seen either of those live. I was meant to be seeing Ghost in 2019 and went to the most dull wedding of all time instead. I won't be missing them next time they're in town!

Things have been so quiet today I've been making a shared calendar for all the gigs I've got booked up for post-covid. About a dozen booked so far, let's hope some of them actually happen!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

What I’m about to start listening to or “Man Goes Mad in a Record Shop”

Rushed out of work into town to make Probe before it shut.

I failed in any kind of restraint

5AA0CCD1-209A-4075-8999-D35DA212F59E.jpeg

Are some of those albums you haven’t heard before? 

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I fancied the Rose City Band but it was a bit rich for me, about £30 around here from memory.

That should keep you quiet for a little while.

Most expensive one there, £26.99

The neighbours might not think I'm being kept quiet, the missus is away and volume is higher than my normal level :D

The 4 New Age Steppers albums were ordered for me and to split it all up I'll be starting with the debut from 1981 but where I'll go next who knows 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Are some of those albums you haven’t heard before? 

Well the 4 New Age Steppers albums, I ordered in advance of release, I've previously owned at least two of them and am familiar with all (I have lost the two I did own)

Of the others 4 are by artists I like very much and have heard at least a couple of tracks of each album but have deliberately avoided playing the whole thing on Spotify because I like the discovery element of a new album.

The two speculative purchases are the two top right, remix compilations of artists on the Rocket Label, some of whom I already own stuff by and I'm a sucker for stuff like this

I was also moaned at for taking the last copy of at least 4 of those records and now the wall display will have to be rethought (thats Probe for you)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blandy said:

Seen 'em a few times and they've moved on a bit to bigger places. Spot the Blandy in this. Link not embedded because it's sweary.

https://youtu.be/1h0fHVmKuWY

Playing at Futurama in September £88 a ticket but there are some great bands on over the two days and its a festival in proper venues

Still undecided yet due to the virus but if I can I'm going

• Like 1

Â