What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve never bought any African Head Charge, keep thinking I will, then I get home and nope, I bought something else.

I’ll get there one day.

There is definitely a similarity between Bonjo I's voice and Mr Perry's. Not identical but there's definitely a similarity, so much so on one track was listening to just now I had to check the credits

• Like 1

I've always loved this album since it was originally released, I had a dodgy downloaded CD of it which had disappeared some time ago. This is a 2019 repress of the album (Army Green Vinyl) which I ordered and picked up today

Anika - Anika

Anika is a half German half English singer-songwriter, journalist, musician and poet and her voice is very Nicoesque

This, her first album, released in 2010, is very much in the style of German electronic experimental music of the '70s. There are only 2 original compositions on this, the rest are covers. The dub version of Dylan's Masters of War is a personal favourite

Produced by Beak> and released on Geoff Barrow's (Of Beak> & Portishead) Invada label. Beak> also produced this album and played the instruments

R-13184493-1549549378-2171.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

And to follow that...

The follow up album, 11 years later.

Anika - Change

Much less angular and a more polished production. Same sort of territory but also very different. I think these are all her own work

R-19421677-1625758962-2177.png.jpg

• Like 1

Another of todays purchases, in catch up mode from earlier in the year.

Look at me the bloody obscurist posting an album that topped the charts in February of this year

Mogwai - As the Love Continues

It will be in the list at the end of the year, undoubtedly.

R-17501719-1613820521-5516.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

7715DC5C-804D-4B93-9D4B-CD951B9D1BD2.jpeg

Genuine question, have Judas Priest fans always just accepted or embraced the homo erotic schtick, or were they sort of blissfully unaware?

I ask that, as someone who’s dad, a Queen fan, was genuinely surprised when Freddie Mercury turned out to be gay.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Genuine question, have Judas Priest fans always just accepted or embraced the homo erotic schtick, or were they sort of blissfully unaware?

I ask that, as someone who’s dad, a Queen fan, was genuinely surprised when Freddie Mercury turned out to be gay.

What!  You’ll be telling me Frankie goes to Hollywood are gay, next!

I assume people don’t give a toss. I mean music is music n’all that.

• Haha 1

Just now, blandy said:

What!  You’ll be telling me Frankie goes to Hollywood are gay, next!

I assume people don’t give a toss. I mean music is music n’all that.

Yeah, but metal always used to be pretty macho. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

@bickster- do you ever play any of these albums more than once? You buy so many, I can't see that you'd have the time. 

All the time. If I’m in the house and awake, I pretty much always have music on. For one thing, it really helps with the tinnitus 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but metal always used to be pretty macho. 

Aye. But would people stop listening to sounds they previously liked if they suddenly found out the singer was “good with colours”, or “wore comfortable shoes”, or whatever?

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

* Throws the album in the bin 

I think most metal fans don’t give a shit. They are pretty popular in that genre. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

* Throws the album in the bin 

I think most metal fans don’t give a shit. They are pretty popular in that genre. 

I guess there is a solid venn diagram that has judas priest fans on one side and fans of wrestling on the other. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I guess there is a solid venn diagram that has judas priest fans on one side and fans of wrestling on the other. 

Demolition come to mind. They were all kitted out in leather and studs . I wouldn’t even say I’m a big Judas Priest fan, I just like their early stuff, and it was cheap . 

52 minutes ago, blandy said:

Aye. But would people stop listening to sounds they previously liked if they suddenly found out the singer was “good with colours”, or “wore comfortable shoes”, or whatever?

Some might. 

Â