What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

I was playing album snap with someone and it turns out I don’t have Lee Scratch Perry, Super Ape on vinyl.

I can’t quite get my head around it. I’ve got all manner of follow ups, and Return Of and Return To Conquer and all that stuff, but don’t have just a straight plain copy of the original album.

Keep on presuming that at some point I’m going to remember where I’ve put it or who’s got it or something. But as time is going on I’m kind of convinced I just don’t have a copy. 

Would have put good money on it. 

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I was playing album snap with someone and it turns out I don’t have Lee Scratch Perry, Super Ape on vinyl.

This might shock you too, it's nowhere near his best. I haven't got it either, never deemed it worthy enough of a purchase

Someone (who may be reading this) askedme about it on FB t'othr day, so I played it on Spotify just to confirm I hadn't formed an incorrect opinion

My original prognosis was correct

EDIT - Total corrction, It was Return of I was talking about. Super Ape is good

• Like 1

I’ve got it on CD. Which, I’m telling myself, is why I don’t have it on vinyl. Because I’m just so familiar with it that it would be a pointless duplicate when I could be buying something else.

I’m listening to Return To Conquer now, I think I’m biased, but he can do no wrong.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve got it on CD. Which, I’m telling myself, is why I don’t have it on vinyl. Because I’m just so familiar with it that it would be a pointless duplicate when I could be buying something else.

I’m listening to Return To Conquer now, I think I’m biased, but he can do no wrong.

I'm very much the fan, but I just think a few albums are just a bit production line, Return of the Super Ape being one of them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm very much the fan, but I just think a few albums are just a bit production line, Return of the Super Ape being one of them

There’s definitely a lot of work out there where it’s his name being used to shift units.

• Like 1

Gary Clail and the On-U Sound System - End of the Century Party

Hadn't played this for years until the CD sort out. Played it three times in the last week. It's actually better than I remember

It's amazing how on point the politics are 31 years later

R-171200-1515007999-9491.jpeg.jpg

I've jumped in a time machine to 1988 or thereabouts. The windows ae rattling as Mr Sherwood mixes a shitload of On-U tracks into a an absolutely mental 45 minute set. The album was released in 2008 but this is all stuff from much earlier. It really is a snippet of this whith that coming in underneath the bam something else comes in over the top. It claims to be 32 tracks but in reality its far far more. I get the feeling AMS was a bit skint around this time so chucked it out to raise some funds but its actually very good. Possibly the only DJ Mix I physically own

R-840978-1423853195-4898.jpeg.jpg

Anyone into doom/sludge metal. I'm going to share a band I've been completely unaware were in my town of Wrexham for the past 6 years at least. I saw them years ago in a little pub and my mate played bass but I didn't know what they were called/or I was so wasted I forgot the name. They're called Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard. 

If you like heavy, slow, brooding riffs with limited vocals then hop on board. It's good background music for reading forums and nodding your head with a bit of a curl on your upper lip to suggest snarl/aggressiveness. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Anyone into doom/sludge metal. I'm going to share a band I've been completely unaware were in my town of Wrexham for the past 6 years at least. I saw them years ago in a little pub and my mate played bass but I didn't know what they were called/or I was so wasted I forgot the name. They're called Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard. 

If you like heavy, slow, brooding riffs with limited vocals then hop on board. It's good background music for reading forums and nodding your head with a bit of a curl on your upper lip to suggest snarl/aggressiveness. 

The greatest name if any band ever and I learned the name of them in this very thread. 

• Thanks 1

Ah feck, tonight I wanted to play this and I realised its no longer with me, fortunately it's on Spotify

I looked to replace it on Discogs, none for sale and the last one sold for stupidly high money (only last month) - £36 for a CD, a CD of remixes of blues classics... unreal

10 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Their last album was one of my favourites of last year! Very good! :) 

• Like 1

I came in here, about 2 hours ago, to talk about how much I love Asking Alexandria's new album, Like A House On Fire.

But Nachthexen is bloody brilliant, and I'll be listening to more Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I came in here, about 2 hours ago, to talk about how much I love Asking Alexandria's new album, Like A House On Fire.

But Nachthexen is bloody brilliant, and I'll be listening to more Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard.

You get the like for MWWB, but Asking Alexandria?!

backing up homer simpson GIF

• Haha 1

Haven't playd this in a while

The Associates - Fourth Drawer Down

Earlier than that time they had hits with Party Fears Two etc They hadn't quite honed their pop sensibilities on this album (not sure they ever did tbh). This is very dark, synth pop for want of a better term. Very experimental, even at a time of great experimentation with synths. I much prefer it to the later stuff when they had hits

R-14879498-1584706748-2502.jpeg.jpg

4 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

You get the like for MWWB, but Asking Alexandria?!

backing up homer simpson GIF

It's definitely a bit pop/rocky compared to what I typically listen to, but not everything has to be heavy. I even like Danny Worsnop's solo work, the bloke has a brilliant voice. 

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's definitely a bit pop/rocky compared to what I typically listen to, but not everything has to be heavy. I even like Danny Worsnop's solo work, the bloke has a brilliant voice. 

Agree with this bit, and definitely some excellent songs out there, I will tend to go more alternative/prog  (and there are plenty of good recommendations on here too).

Whilst there are metalcore bands I like (KSE, Converge if they count), but can’t stand a lot of the newer ones, including Asking Alexandria, whose main positive is that they aren’t Bring Me The Horizon... 

• Like 1

Â