What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

If you hate the current Slipknot love in or terribly written reviews then skip this post.

Been listening to We Are Not Your Kind more and more and have developed a few thoughts about it. Ive rated it in score order rather than in track order.

10/10:

Best Song on the album for me is 'Critical Darling'. It has everything covering all different aspects of their music. Brutal, fast, melodies, slower parts, great chorus, great hook. It's awesome.

9/10:

'Nero Forte', 'Unsainted' and 'Solway Firth' are all not far behind Critical Darling, all great and are probably the most widely loved tracks and deservingly so. The meat of the album. The opening intro track 'Insert Coin' also gets a 9, it sets the tone, foreshadows the closing track and has a real Stranger Things sci fi vibe to it.

8/10:

'Whats Next' leading in to 'Spiders' is very experimental, hardcore metal fans probably wont like it as it's all clean singing and uses piano notes throughout but that would be a massive shame as its unlike anything they've done before. Dark, brooding, groovy and creepy as ****. They need to experiment like this more and more imo.

The other is 'My Pain', it's a twisted slower track that starts out sounding like a sci-fi like post apocalyptic wasteland that then morphs into a clockwork, dreamy wonderland nursery rhyme before reverting back to the desolate wasteland again. In relation to the rest of the album it feels a bit out of place which may harm fans opinions on it but when listened to in isolation you can really appreciate it more. Corey's ex wife really **** him up. Great tune. 

7/10:

'Birth of the Cruel', didnt like it when I first heard it prior to the albums release but as I've replayed it it has grown on me a lot.

'Not long for this World' is another that I didnt take to initially but really like now. The more I hear it the less like a slipknot song it sounds, it's weird, it almost has a structure to some prequelle Ghost songs and the main guitar hook during the chorus almost has a dark brooding gothic vibe similar to early HIM. It's a really really good song. Could move up a few points with more listens.

The Rest:

'A Liars Funeral': No idea where to put this song rankings wise, it's a good song but again it feels misplaced in the track listing. Breaks the flow of the album for me. It's not my favourite song if I'm honest but it does have parts I really like. The "Burn, Burn, Burn the Liars" chant is great and you can genuinely feel the emotion when Corey is screaming out "Liar" but as a whole the song just does nothing for me yet I can listen to it without skipping. 6.5/10

These last two mentioned are the only weak songs in my opinion. 'Red Flag' and 'Orphan'. They are brutal no doubt and others will pick them as their faves but they remind me too much of Gray Chapter vocally and as much as I like that album I am ready to move on from it as Corey's voice is so much better now but he slips back into .5 singing here. Orphan is too trudgy and slow for me. It drags a lot. Both sound like they are trying to hard to appease the stubborn Iowa fanboys with their pace and harshness. Both just never quite click for me. Meh 5.5/10.

Overall

8/10

Love the album overall, very experimental while feeling familiar. At times it feels like a Vol.3 follow up in the sense that it's so different to what came before. I have tempered my initial 10/10 score after the excitement factor has worn off and I've become more familiar with the songs and album as a whole.

• Like 2

I'm in an irreverent mood. I picked this up in Oxfam for 50p a good while back but have't dared play it until now

R-3243117-1480789730-9327.jpeg.jpgR-3243117-1480789732-1283.jpeg.jpg

Brings back memories of driving back from Wales on a Sunday night and my day forcing us to listen to Sing Something Simple on Radio 2 when it really was Radio 2

It was worth it just for the back cover alone

Looking to get hold of the following this weekend when I finally get to come home for a week.

Bon Iver - I, I 

Ty Segall - First Taste

Gruff Rhys - Pang (just read released in September though) 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Ty Segall - First Taste

I must admit, I've got it and I'm still a little undecided. Going out on a limb here, I don't think its his best by a long way. I'm also thinking of not getting Thee Oh Sees album as of the three tracks I've heard I only like the 28 minute jam and the other two are again a bit meh (I'll probably relent, and buy it though)

• Like 1

I wonder if Alex Lipinski is a member of this great forum. 

He's a Villa fan which I found out after hearing his brilliant album 'Alex' on my Spotify suggestions list. I started following him on Twitter and noticed he was liking and retweeting Villa material. 

What a voice he's got but I've no idea if he's 'making it' as it were. 

Check him out Villans! 

Â