What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

The Lemonheads - Hate Your Friends. UK Pressing with UK Cover in near mint condition. From 1987 when the Lemonheads were a proper hardcore band

Reminds me of the gigs that used to be on at Planet X early evening on a Friday before I started my night at 10pm

R-881923-1481733058-9053.jpeg.jpg

A complete change of direction though from a similar era... debut album by The Housemartins - London 0 - Hull 4

Not really my thang, never was but again it's the memories, playing footie against them before a gig (twice I think) and I've played footie with Paul Heaton a few more times besides as we have a mutual friend

I also do appreciate the craft of a decent pop album that isn't over-produced crud crafted by the band themselves. It's a great pop album, it just isn't my thing but not for throwing all the same, it's still in very good condition too

R-393610-1174327620.jpeg.jpg

• Like 3

REM - Reckoning.  Possibly many stories I can't even remember in relation to this but those I can remember include a couple of Michael Stipe ones

An absolute classic album. This one is a UK First Pressing in above very good condition for sleeve and the record itself, if it was listed for sale no one could argue with Near Mint

R-10658591-1501855295-1769.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

I think they call this Americana these days. Debut by Jason and the Scorchers - Fervour. Feat Michael Stipe on vocals on one track and a co-writing credit on another.

Unremarkable, sort of country - blues messing around

R-1840059-1268592265.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Brum's finest oddball (a Villa fan too I think) Lawrence with the debut Felt album from 1982 - Crumbling the Antiseptic Beauty

This is a second pressing but still very collectable in this condition - £35-£40

This one screams VIth Form bedroom  record playing sessions with mates and sometimes girls, if girls were in attendance, this always got played

The legend has it that Lawrence was the second punk in Birmingham, behind Robert LLoyd and ahead of some bloke called George O'Dowd. All three still have music careers to this day 

R-5604016-1487602664-3796.jpeg.jpg

EDIT: I just went to file this and discovered I have two copies of it.

The Jam - Settings Sons - First pressing with embossed sleeve, not in the best of conditions but plays perfectly well, both sides are covered in hairline scratches though they don't appear to affect play

A classic album and this brings back lots of memories of live gigs, Stafford Bingley Hall and the Birmingham one, somewhere in Wolverhampton I forget (A one off gig announced at short notice iirc), for a couple of years The Jam were the band above any other for me, from the end of punk though the mod and two tone years, they were it, the top of the tree

The Jam really clicked with me on All Mod Cons but that was an album you discovered, that meant that the anticipation for this album was immense. A gang of about 5 or 6 of us all ran out of school to jump on the bus, straight into town to get to HMV before it shut and score ourselves a copy of the albuim. We'd talked about little else for weeks. We all got home for tea late but it didn't matter, homework was never going to get done that night and we were all back in school the next day really early to compare notes, none of us were disappointed

This is probably the first time I've listened to the album from start to finish for thirty years but I still know it note for note

R-403169-1345135522-4454.jpeg.jpg

I seem to have hit a little vein of personal memory records. The Fall - The Frenz Experiment. AGain, not in the best of conditions but still plays well enough

This brings back memories of touring the country from gig to gig in a transit van, this was on a lot

It's also a reminder that I once played football against M.E.S. and the band (not Brix and Marcia) at a gig at Liverpool Uni. I seem to remember it was part of the rider. M.E.S. made everyone look good

The next album has even more stories attached to it but I only have Kurious Orange on CD (I worked the whole tour TMing the support band - there's a book in those few weeks on their own)

R-719649-1151575393.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

HA! - Killing Joke - Live 10" mini LP from 1982

This reminds me of about 1985 (ish), The same line-up as this (the classic line-up some would say) playing at the Royal Court in Liverpool, I was working security on the main door into the auditorium (great post for a good view of the gig, though mixing desk was always the best). A week or so earlier Youth and Jazz had a big bust up (just before they filmed an episode of the Old Grey Whistle Test I think)  and was replaced on stage by a scarecrow (or something of that ilk). Jaz buggered off to Iceland and only re-emerged for the tour again without Youth. So it was all a bit weird on the personal chemistry front onstage. But then Jaz goes crowd surfing and went in with a fully intact black boiler suit and came out pretty much starkers. A roadie then had the unenviable job of trying to gaffer tape the boiler suit back together whilst Jaz was singing the next song. It was absolutely hilarious. Anyway this reminds me of that night

Oh its in near mint condition this, sleeve and vinyl so is worth between £15 and £20

R-384676-1360689471-6906.jpeg.jpg

Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising. First pressing on Homestead and Blast First (joint release UK and US), Includes lyric insert, vinyl is almost mint, cover is still V good but has a crease, amazingly this is still in the shrink wrap. Worth £35 upwards. Its still early SY so its nowhere near them at their best but they are getting there on this one and the experimental guitar bits are being chucked in all over the place.

This one doesn't particularly remind me of anything in particular

R-381545-1167748088.jpeg.jpg

Back to 1982 again. Robyn Hitchcock - Groovy Decay. Former Soft Boy and cult artist much beloved by many musicians. Quite a good album, hints of the Soft Boys but the one interesting thing about the album is that the producer is Steve Hillage, a prolific musician in his own right , taking in many styles throughout his career but none of them particularly like this. He did a good job, the production is very good. Again, I've not played this in years but it might be coming out more regularly

R-1819644-1245499656.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Kicked off with a few singles earlier but now I'm on side 2 of Yeah Yeah Noh! - Fun on the Lawn Lawn Lawn, an album of Peel Sessions. I had this soft spot for YYN for a few months and appear to have bought quite a bit of their stuff. I may have said this before, the bass player Adrian later moved to Liverpool and we were in the same scene so to speak, he was in a band called the Australians with another acquaintance Justin (sound bloke). Adrian turned out to be a right twunt in my opinion and I do find it hard to listen to these without seeing his face but I do like this album it has a great feel of those early to mid 80's DIY post punk bands.

EDIT: I should add that it's a bit of an oddity in that it has 3 closed grooves! Yes three! One at the end of each side but the last track on side 2 also has a closed groove before it, presumably to separate it from the rest as its the only non Peel Session track on the album

R-746217-1369681707-2128.jpeg.jpg

20 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Never thought I'd say this but...

Quite enjoying the new Slipknot album. :D 

Same here.

Never been a massive fan (despite loving the genre) but the new album is superb.

• Like 3

Guillotine - Various Artists, a 10", 8 track Virgin Sampler from 1978. Some absolute classics on this. Boy Azooga fans should recognise A3. In great condition, worth less than a tenner

R-804459-1417398586-6911.jpeg.jpg

The Motors - You Beat The Hell Outta Me    2:50 (why put the worst track by a mile at the start!)

Penetration - Don't Dictate    2:45 (ace)

The Table - Do The Standing Still (Classics Illustrated)    3:00 (Classic!)

Avant Gardener - Strange Gurl In Clothes    2:43 (Odd)

XTC - Traffic Light Rock    1:40 (great)

Roky Erickson - Bermuda    3:00 (Hmmmm)

Poet And The Roots - All Wi Doin' Is Defendin'    2:54 (This is Linton Kwesi Johnson for those that may be familiar - ace) 

X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage Up Yours!    2:45 (Great)

• Like 1

Â