What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

working my way through the mercury prize list which came out yesterday

started with fontaines, not a fan, the main problem is I don't like his voice, its pretty much killed everything for me

then I listened to idles...currently listening to it again, im sure I've seen it on here recommended by a couple, really good, opposite of fontaines I love his snarl and what at times sounds like some random bits of pop culture references thrown in, trying to get a proper sense as what they're about, that for me could be like the time black keys el camino was doing the rounds on here long before it took off

foals ive done to death over the last couple of months anyway

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

then I listened to idles...currently listening to it again, im sure I've seen it on here recommended by a couple, really good, opposite of fontaines I love his snarl and what at times sounds like some random bits of pop culture references thrown in, trying to get a proper sense as what they're about, that for me could be like the time black keys el camino was doing the rounds on here long before it took off

Yeah a few of us have been banging the IDLES drum for a while now.

Brutalism was a good starting point but Joy as an Act of Resistance is up there with my favourite albums of the last decade. It's a masterpiece imo.

• Like 2

On 26/07/2019 at 09:12, villa4europe said:

started with fontaines, not a fan, the main problem is I don't like his voice, its pretty much killed everything for me

Same here and that Dublin accent is their USP, strip that out and they are fairly ordinary

then I listened to idles...currently listening to it again, im sure I've seen it on here recommended by a couple, really good

I like a couple of tracks, the rest leave me quite cold though, there's much better bands about doing a similar thing.

foals ive done to death over the last couple of months anyway

Only track I've liked was a remix of one track that was hard to recognise the original, another band that get far too much attention

The Mercury Prize is just another scam, the artists have to pay thousands to be shortlisted (or their record companies do - which in turn the band have to pay)

Original first pressing on Operation Twilight

23 Skidoo - The Culling is Coming

I like odd atonal musique concrete type stuff every now and again. This is out there in a big way. It is also noticeable for having a closed groove in the middle of one side. This one is in very very good condition and appears to be quite sought after, it still has the original insert intact too

I may play this again in about ten years time

R-315198-1546644271-5760.jpeg.jpg

I'm now playing a silly game where I have to play the next record that plays at 33 1/3 rpm pulled at random out of the uncleaned section of the racks

Just now I played Soft Cells Greatest Hts but now I'm playing this...

R-1286390-1248978051.jpeg.jpg

Tracklist

• Like 1

Going downhill now, rapidly...

Rusty Egan, Glenn Matlock, Midge Ure and Steve New produced by Mick Ronson from 1978

The Rich Kids - Ghosts of Princes in Towers. This will not last a full play, it's absolutely awful. One for the discard pile

R-1714978-1271197383.jpeg.jpg

The longer it goes on the worse it gets. It's now become compellingly awful

Slightly better, though that's not hard

World Domination Enterprises - Let's Play Domination from 1988

One great track in Asbestos Lead Asbestos and two good covers in Funkytown and Jah Jah Call You. All on side 2 which is much better than side 1

R-372085-1210284274.jpeg.jpg

13 hours ago, bickster said:

I'm now playing a silly game where I have to play the next record that plays at 33 1/3 rpm pulled at random out of the uncleaned section of the racks

Just now I played Soft Cells Greatest Hts but now I'm playing this...

R-1286390-1248978051.jpeg.jpg

Tracklist

I'll have that if you're getting rid ;)

Just now, bickster said:

Nah, that one's in the keeper pile, quite a few on Discogs though for about £4 iirc

Yeah I already looked :)

• Like 1

I wasn't that aware of Suicide at the time of their existence, I was aware of who they were and Alan Vega but never really came across their music. I have now been aware of them for some considerable time and this albums influence on such a huge canon of the music I like is undeniable. When I heard they were re-releasing it I thought I would put it on my shopping list, couldn't find it in Liverpool or Bristol but today I found it in Preston in Action Records, so now I'm listening to...

R-13856414-1563702283-9553.jpeg.jpg

2019 red vinyl, deluxe limited edition version (not that there's any other)

Â