What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

The original 808 State featuring Gerald Simpson (AKA A Guy Called Gerald) - NEWBUILD

A 6 track album that is cited by many as an influence on the whole Madchester scene and by other bands such as Autecre and Aphex Twin.

This copy is NM+/VG+ and worth values at the higher end the expected range (£25+)

This was very much the sound of Acid House beforre the media got hold of it and turned it into something it never was. ANyone expecting the lush sweeps of Pacific State would be disappointed, this is bleeps and beats

R-3551-1274464537.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

II wouldn't expect anyone to have even remotely heard of this. Barbel -One Horse Planet

I have connections aplenty with this though. Roger the drummer was also in Benny Profane for a while, the guitarists in Barbel and Benny profane were brothers, My old flatmate Ian engineered some of this

Mine's in very good condition and for some bizarre reason, seems to be quite sought after, this one should sell in the £15 - £20 area, which is odd for a band that no-one much has heard of nor care about

Sort of Liverpools answer to the Inspirals without the bombast (or remotely the fame) and added jangliness

R-2459800-1547672330-7272.jpeg.jpg

9 hours ago, bickster said:

II wouldn't expect anyone to have even remotely heard of this. Barbel -One Horse Planet

I have connections aplenty with this though. Roger the drummer was also in Benny Profane for a while, the guitarists in Barbel and Benny profane were brothers, My old flatmate Ian engineered some of this

Mine's in very good condition and for some bizarre reason, seems to be quite sought after, this one should sell in the £15 - £20 area, which is odd for a band that no-one much has heard of nor care about

Sort of Liverpools answer to the Inspirals without the bombast (or remotely the fame) and added jangliness

R-2459800-1547672330-7272.jpeg.jpg

Even I haven't heard of this. 

• Haha 1

In one of the most bizarre, genuine and diametrically opposed career reinventions, Steve Davis went from World Champion of Snooker famed for being totally unintersting (even though that was a harsh assessment) to a Prog /Psyche / Kraut DJ. Well now he's gone one louder again, not content with playing other peoples tunes he's joined forces with Kavus Torabi (Cardiacs & Gong amongst others) and Michael J York (Coil and others - Bagpipes and wind intruments) to form a group - The Utopia Strong. I'm currently listening to their eponymously titled debut LP. Its pitched at the ambientish end of Krautrock. It's very trippy! Mine's the Orange vinyl version and as ever with anything released by Rocket comes in a protective outer sleeve and this time a protective inner as well as a printed one.

R-14133042-1568453737-3765.jpeg.jpg

So from Snooker Loopy, to this...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I only pressed play because it was on Rocket and that made me curious, but that’s just lovely.

I think that just went on the list for next weekend.

A completely speculative purchase by me. Curiosity got the better of me and I'm very pleased it did

It went something like this...

Me: Bob? (holds album up)

Mr Parker: It's very interesting, you'll like it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

A completely speculative purchase by me.

That track was in the new music thread the day it was uploaded.

On my browsers, it's the opener for a page of top quality new releases from across the genres, posted by myself.

Unbelievably blandy poo pooed one of them? 😮 

That wrongfully maligned release now has a squillion more hits than his favourite blue hat album.

Proving beyond doubt he's feeling pretty silly right now.

Silly @blandy :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Xann said:

That track was in the new music thread the day it was uploaded.

On my browsers, it's the opener for a page of top quality new releases from across the genres, posted by myself.

Unbelievably blandy poo pooed one of them? 😮 

That wrongfully maligned release now has a squillion more hits than his favourite blue hat album.

Proving beyond doubt he's feeling pretty silly right now.

Silly @blandy :D 

Have I gone and been wrong again? oh heck!

i clearly need to get a grip, otherwise this feeling silly business is going to be the ruin of little ol’ me.

[edit] I wasn't wrong - that one Dave posted was shite 😋, everybody else is wrong and they should stop giving it squillions of hits [/edit].

• Haha 1

On 13/09/2019 at 18:56, chrisp65 said:

Tinariwen

Genuinely a double album from the guys this time. The last one was three sides and a blank

So that's what it looks like inside the gatefold, I attempt to keep mine in the shrink wrap so I rarely see inside gatefolds. Good album though, it tends to be my get ready for the day album at the moment

• Like 1

Not that prizes really matter much other than for promotion of an artist, but Idles absolutely robbed there.

In my personal biased view. But do remember, they are from Bristol, so for me to like them is really an exception to many many years of random prejudice against that place.

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Not that prizes really matter much other than for promotion of an artist, but Idles absolutely robbed there.

In my personal biased view. But do remember, they are from Bristol, so for me to like them is really an exception to many many years of random prejudice against that place.

I like Brizzle but I think Idles are a bit... Well 2nd Division is the best way of putting it. They aren't bad but there's bits missing for me.

I listened to it on the radio, mainly out of boredom.I don't own a single record that was nominated but I'll probably buy Anna Calvi at some point, if I can find it at a reasonable price.

The Mercury Prize is a load of bollocks anyway, you have to pay to be nominated iirc, it just gives the impression of being more genuine because they tend to focus in the non-manufactured acts.

So many great albums not in the list, Snapped Ankles for one, they are so much better than say Fontaines DC, whose only gimmick (for want of a better word) is shouty singer with a Dublin accent, their music is overtly ordinary.

The gushing on the radio was highly irritating. 

The sound on the tv was piss poor, I don’t think the vocals came over very well for a single one of them.

Funniest bit was keeping my missus sitting there waiting for Idles and they came on last! She was her usual scathing self.

I was biased ‘cos Idles recently played Spillers (in one of the videos he refers to the arseholes outside that turned up late). 

That was me. 😁

• Haha 1

Â