What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

proxy.duckduckgo.jpg.a927a5f2a809b20376092094d89f96b8.jpg

Various Artists - 'The Golden Age Of Shellac'

Recordings from the Deutsche Grammophon archive 1912 - 43.

What you might hear on a night out in Hitler's Germany, and Louis Armstrong.

The highlights include a recording of the Intermezzo from 'Cavalleria Rusticana' with its composer Pietro Mascagni conducting, and Erna Sack's impressive coloratura voice. She could hit notes so high Richard Strauss wrote tunes with her in mind.

39 minutes ago, useless said:

A while back I wanted to get the 'Atomic Platters: Cold War Music From The Golden Age Of Homeland Security' boxset that they did.

Oh, that's nice. Still available from the label. Shame the £ is carrying Brexit wounds. Ok for you though :)

Wanted the Eddie Cochran 'Somethin' Else!' for a while here.

Got one of their boxes cheap, Billy Vaughn. Not the most interesting act, but the transfers are so lovely. It's an effortless listen.

I haven't got any of their stuff, but I know they have a very good reputation for their releases, both in terms of the packaging and the audio quality. Expensive though, and unfortunately there are a number of other releases ahead of it in the queue, maybe I'll get it one day.

Peter Coyle - A Slap in the Face for Public Taste (Discogs says 1986 but I think it's slightly later)

Not sure I've ever played this before, though I've herd the tracks plenty of times. A record by my former landlord and prior to this half of the Lotus Eaters (First Picture of You...) Engineered by my flatmate at the time Shady (Ian Martin Wright). The other Lotus Eater (Jerry Kelly) lived in the flat downstairs.

This reminds me of times in that flat. Jerry banging on the ceiling because we were making noise (OK it was probably 4am), the drugs, the parties, the g/f that got away. Another flatmate Martin Lever, Visitors like Mark McNulty, Joe McKechnie, and plenty more. The flat was a den of iniquity, you never knew who'd be on the couch in the morning, it really was the centre of our universe for a few years, great times but I'm glad I got out when I did or I doubt I'd be alive now.

I probably only lived there 4 years but had a lifetime of experiences.

R-1398338-1254310262.jpeg.jpg

Don't think this has ever been released digitally

Just now, Designer1 said:

Just a feeling 😉

New Acid Reign single is a corker too (if you haven't heard it).

I haven't yet. Heard their name knocking around for a bit which is exciting. Will give it a spin when WANYK releases me back into society. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

I haven't yet. Heard their name knocking around for a bit which is exciting. Will give it a spin when WANYK releases me back into society. 

Yeah AR have been around for years (I saw them supporting Exodus about 25 years ago!) and they're very much in the old school thrash mould that we both love. Nice coincidence them and the Reich releasing some new material after a long hiatus. 

Â