What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Must admit, before I heard the Dead, I thought they would be quite a heavy sounding band (probably because of the name). I was quite shocked to discover that their sound (both guitars and vocals) was actually quite thin and weedy. Still like 'em, though. 

Aaron Dessner from the National compliled an album of 59 Grateful Dead songs, covered by other artists. It's called Day of the Dead  http://www.dayofthedeadmusic.com/ links to album's website, where there's loads of vids of the songs etc., and it has some belting songs on it.

Take someone utterly brilliant, like Courtney Barnett and get 'em to play a song. Marvellous result

I got into the doors first then as my musical tastes matured slightly I got into the grateful dead. Funny you should say that @mooney, because bloke I worked with a few years back wouldn't have it that they were quite mellow. He thought they were loud and heavy.

GD have nearly everything going for them. Interesting characters, interesting fans, interesting merchandise and I remember a far out animated movie from years back that was quite fun. imho where they didn't deliver was musically. Headscratchingly dull band, considering the fascinating cult that's associated with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xann said:

GD have nearly everything going for them. Interesting characters, interesting fans, interesting merchandise and I remember a far out animated movie from years back that was quite fun. imho where they didn't deliver was musically. Headscratchingly dull band, considering the fascinating cult that's associated with them.

Kind of get what you mean in a strange way, and I say a strange way because I love them.

• Like 1

Not played the deep purple cd I'm spinning at the moment for years. I've not played made in Japan for a bit but I think this one gives it a run for its money. Bit more light and shade and also mr lords organ is less in the mix than usual or he's using it to a different effect. The improvisation just seems a bit more free and looser. Mk2 was more for head banging and mk3 &4 was more funky and for having a good time.

Â