What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Not an album, but here's as good as anywhere to put it...

Don Letts on 6Music - Skinhead Moonstomp!

Don paves the way for his new film Skinhead, which will be broadcast on BBC 4 on Friday 14th October, with his moonstomping mix of the original movement's best-loved sounds from the likes of Laurel Aitken, Desmond Dekker, Derrick Morgan and the Pioneers.

He says: "When I tell people my first point of entry into youth subculture was via skinheads, they look somewhat confused, not understanding I'm talking about the fashion version not the fascist version. I hope my film goes some way to clarifying what was the UK's first real multi-cultural movement."

In Skinhead, Don looks at this very particular and very provocative British subculture. He explores how skinhead has become associated with street fighting, trouble on the football terraces and violent racism in the public consciousness, both in Britain and around the world. He reveals that its origins actually lie in a cultural coming-together that could not be further from its tarnished image.

Nothing too obscure, just wall to wall Skinhead classics. Heads up for a film by Don Letts about Skinheads, on BBC4 tomorrow night too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Not an album, but here's as good as anywhere to put it...

Don Letts on 6Music - Skinhead Moonstomp!

Nothing too obscure, just wall to wall Skinhead classics. Heads up for a film by Don Letts about Skinheads, on BBC4 tomorrow night too. 

I'm not buying it. Sure, 60s skins weren't all Nazis - that would have involved SOME degree of political thought. But every single one I encountered was a **** ing thug. The fashions were ugly, the music was - well, no better than OK in small doses (to my admittedly prog rock nurtured grammar schoolboy ears). Not the thing to say these days, I know. But I cannot see THAT look without a shudder of revulsion. 

• Like 2

Good words mooney. Cannot stick that culture, although due to unforeseen circumstances I am now one of them, a baldie that is :( the beard is coming on great though, so maybe if I put my head on upside down.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not buying it. Sure, 60s skins weren't all Nazis - that would have involved SOME degree of political thought. But every single one I encountered was a **** ing thug. The fashions were ugly, the music was - well, no better than OK in small doses (to my admittedly prog rock nurtured grammar schoolboy ears). Not the thing to say these days, I know. But I cannot see THAT look without a shudder of revulsion. 

I wasn't around at the time, but love the music and fashion. You were, and I respect your opinion, and wouldn't argue with your views. Don Letts was, so were quite a few people I know and respect, and they tell a different story. The look was borrowed from Jamaica, so it belonged to them first. The music was enjoyed by white and black kids. From my personal experience of the subculture, I've experienced very little racism, but then again I wouldn't entertain it anyway.   

I'm looking forward to watching the documentary tomorrow night (well probably Saturday afternoon).

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I guess it's one of those things where people have to agree to disagree. It can be a bit of a mixed bag.

I quite liked it, the late 70's version mixed in with a bit of suedehead and mod and soul was a beautiful thing. Lovely community. Opened my eyes and ears to a really multicultural world.

Admittedly 18 minute long songs about faery quests to wizard land written on a gap year on Lord Montagu de Plaunq's estate were a bit thin on the ground, but we got by.

But yeah, being serious, each to their own, music is music and all that.

I've seen a couple of Don Letts sets, he's very good, very informed and very listenable.

As for the second wave of skinhead culture, in 1982 (two weeks before my wedding) I was the victim of a totally unprovoked attack by half a dozen skins that required months of dental surgery on my smashed teeth. So you can perhaps understand my distaste for that sub 'culture'. 

As I say, the reggae is OK in very small doses once in a while (I even own a Dennis Bovell album!), but it gets very boring very quckly to these ears. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As for the second wave of skinhead culture, in 1982 (two weeks before my wedding) I was the victim of a totally unprovoked attack by half a dozen skins that required months of dental surgery on my smashed teeth. So you can perhaps understand my distaste for that sub 'culture'. 

As I say, the reggae is OK in very small doses once in a while (I even own a Dennis Bovell album!), but it gets very boring very quckly to these ears. 

yeah I got clobbered by a gang of skinheads when I was 10 or 11, never liked the words removed since.

Edited by rjw63
typo

I say you both provoked them with your hippy hair. ;)

In all seriousness, I can fully understand you not liking them. Like anything though (and I'm about to get all right-on here), you can't judge everyone by the actions of a few. 

I'm not a violent person, and I've never gone looking for a fight in my life. I just like Ben Sherman shirts, and jumping about to Prince Buster records.  

Â