What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've seen you mention this 'file albums by colour' thing before, Chrisp. I assumed it was a joke. Now not sure if srs. 

I'm afraid to say it's true. Mostly.

In broad terms they are colour filed. There are a couple of exceptions, classical music is kept as a separate genre as I don't play it often enough to know where it is if it's spread around by colour. The exception to that exception is Holst Planets by Boston Phil, which is a lovely mid blue and filed with the mid blues. I play it, so I know where to go get it.

(ah tits, BBC 4 playing the song I was about to post, now it might look like I'm copying BBC 4 if anyone is watching)

But yeah, I'm kind of colour based. I know Music Complete by New Order is white so I go look in the white albums, not N for New Order, or R for repetitive rehashed disco. New Order Republic is a dark cover, so filed elsewhere. It works for me and my brain.

I like car parks to be colour coded. We can park for a day or a week, we get back, my wife knows we parked in 'bay 6' or on level 2. I head for 'avocado'.

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm afraid to say it's true. Mostly.

In broad terms they are colour filed. There are a couple of exceptions, classical music is kept as a separate genre as I don't play it often enough to know where it is if it's spread around by colour. The exception to that exception is Holst Planets by Boston Phil, which is a lovely mid blue and filed with the mid blues. I play it, so I know where to go get it.

(ah tits, BBC 4 playing the song I was about to post, now it might look like I'm copying BBC 4 if anyone is watching)

But yeah, I'm kind of colour based. I know Music Complete by New Order is white so I go look in the white albums, not N for New Order, or R for repetitive rehashed disco. New Order Republic is a dark cover, so filed elsewhere. It works for me and my brain.

I like car parks to be colour coded. We can park for a day or a week, we get back, my wife knows we parked in 'bay 6' or on level 2. I head for 'avocado'.

128900338166636220.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I've not got one single Grateful dead album...which one should I get first?

If you want spacey jamming, the one that Ruge mentioned - Live/Dead. If you want their softer, CSNY-style, American Beauty or Workingman's Dead. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Yeah the ones mooney has mentioned are the well known ones and are great albums. Live dead is also superb. They have made a lot of albums and a lot of them are worth having especially if your into collecting vinyl like yourself. My favourite album is aoxomoxoa. Great band and one of my favourites.

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I'd recommend a live double album called FOR THE FAITHFUL... they were always meant to be listened to live, you can't go wrong with this one...if it still exists. i had it on cassette back in the 80's.

Edited by maqroll

On August 29, 2016 at 17:24, choffer said:

Delighted to return home from holidays to this. Sounds great on vinyl but will be giving it a proper listen on the commute tomorrow morning.

when did they last release a record, late 90's, eh

They made some good live albums and we're definitely a live band. It all depends if rob likes endless jamming. They even did a gig in Egypt next to the pyramids. They often get thrown in with bands like Jefferson airplane, the doors etc and although they are fine bands I think the grateful dead had a bit more about them. Much more diverse and could pull off the jamming better without it get boring. 

Â