What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

13 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Rob, that looks awful so god knows how bad they sound. I thought you was a rocker?

I am but I remember seeing the video for "AEIOU Sometimes Y" on a music video show years back and I just like it.

This LP is also the first to be totally recorded on a Fairlight CMI computer. So there :)

Was September 1991 the best month ever for albums?

....it was an amazingly fertile time for music, with the new heroes of alternative rock ruthlessly overthrowing the old guard, hip hop coming of age and rave culture leaving its grinning stamp on musicians across the spectrum. As a result, September 1991 yielded an incredible crop of killer albums - several of which changed music forever.?...

BBC

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You've lost me.

One of the first digital samplers. Massive and monstrously expensive ( 4 bedroom detached house money) at the time.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm confused. Were those albums mentioned digital samplers or whatever the term is?

6ZAsmcB.jpg

The only instrument that was used on Rob's album.

You feed it a sound and it repitches it across the keyboard, allowing any sound to be played like a piano.

E-mu and then Akai made it all much more affordable later, but this was the digital daddy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xann said:

6ZAsmcB.jpg

The only instrument that was used on Rob's album.

You feed it a sound and it repitches it across the keyboard, allowing any sound to be played like a piano.

E-mu and then Akai made it all much more affordable later, but this was the digital daddy.

Got ya.

I have a few Nick Cave albums, a few were freebies from my days working in a record shop, Murder Ballads and The Boatmans Call, both OK. That said I remember vividly hearing John Peel play Foi Na Cruz from 1990’s The Good Son and thinking it was exceptional, nothing like The Birthday Party, and nothing like Kicking Against The Pricks, in 88 I had heard The Mercy Seat and found it, to be blunt, a **** chore and also Deanna, which pretty much the best thing I had heard in 88. Foi Na Cruz was nothing like any of that. I decided to take a punt and bought The Good Son.

The Good Son was up there as my most played album of 1990, I loved it and although the love has faded, as I sit here listening to it again, the quality of every last song on that album hasn’t. It is spotless from start to finish. From The Ship Song, The Weeping Song and Foi Na Cruz to Lucy and Sorrow’s Child. No filler at all.

A few years later, although I owned an untainted copy on vinyl I bought it again on vinyl as it contained a free 7” of Deanna, I was desperate to hear that and it didn’t disappoint.

So that’s what I am listening to, stunning album.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have a few Nick Cave albums, .... The Good Son...It is spotless from start to finish. From The Ship Song, The Weeping Song and Foi Na Cruz to Lucy and Sorrow’s Child. No filler at all.

So that’s what I am listening to, stunning album.

Aye, it's a belter. I'd say 7 brilliant songs, one decent and one miss, for me. The Witness song is not my cup of tea, and sorrow's child is just "quite good". I don't think there's an album made where I think every song is a 5* rating, though. Anyway, you've got me listening to it on the iPod right now, so thanks.

Nick Cave has made an unfair number of superb albums.

• Like 2

I would not say I am a fan, but time and age has made me pick over the bones of his career and made me appreciate him more than my younger self did. The man does bleak very very well. Unsure if I want to share his grief on Skeleton Tree though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I would not say I am a fan, but time and age has made me pick over the bones of his career and made me appreciate him more than my younger self did. The man does bleak very very well. Unsure if I want to share his grief on Skeleton Tree though. 

that's about word for word my thoughts on it

I won't be getting Skeleton Tree, that's not where I'm at for the moment

But by absolute chance, it's been Grinderman 2 in the car today. A special shout out for 'Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man' and 'Kitchenette'.

Â