• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I think the reaction is bonkers Julie and I really believe that the majority of the reaction is down to the fact that he is has been Birminghams manager for the past few years..
It has very little to do with that! It's his shit football, shit signings and the fact that he's gotten a team relegated twice in the last 4 seasons. Admittedly, it is bad that he's come SHA, but only because when anyone tries to express their disapproval of the appointment people just come back with "you're only saying that because he managed Birmingham".

Is it four full seasons or three and a half? He came in halfway through the first relegation during his stay did he not?

I know his football is uninspiring, defensive, boring etc. We haven't played like brazil in a while though ourselves.

I am not just coming back with the SHA connection because people are showing their disapproval. People showed their disapproval at McClaren, this takes it to a far more serious scale than that and you know it.

People keep talking about the top four but we are miles away from that. Which is a great shame, but with the money at that end of the table I don't believe we can compete now. We got close under MoN and if we could get to that level again I would personally be very happy.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If mcleish is appointed...and i have been sitting on the fence on this one

i really dont see myself renewing the season ticket

If im feeling like that..im wondering how many hundreds of others are too

dark days ahead for my beloved club....

For Villa to remain a good side, AM would need to keep Downing and Bent or to bring in quality players on his own. Anything to suggest that he'd be able to do either? If key players walk, the gulf in quality narrows, and I'm sure he could manage getting Villa relegated from there.

You honestly think Downing would want to stick around now? McLeish has a bad reputation of using the wingers not well enough.

Bent probably won't leave due to no choice considering his lengthly contract, but I won't expect him to stay around that long and he'll probably lose interest.

I wouldn't expect it unless we unexpectedly show great improvements. That's kind of my point. People say he won't do worse than midtable with an improved squad and spending, but if all the good players leave because of a weak hire and mediocre results, what then separates Villa from relegation battlers?

The mirror - we turn him down

We turn down him for McLeish???? Are they nuts!!

Yes it would be a gamble and gamble worth taking. Plus, he would attract good continental players. Ah well

Don't torture yourself anymore the next few months are gonna be bad enough as it is

Now that does hurt if its true and its fairly detailed as stories go so there is probably a thread of truth through it.

As for McLeish I doubt we will get relegated but I doubt we will be needing our passports either any time soon either.

As I said a few times I don't care that he managed Blues. What I do care about is the fact he is such an uninspiring appointment and despite all this talk of needing PL experience his is shit and should count against him in a job interview. I simply don't get why RL and PF seem to rate him so highly.

But if he is appointed he will get my full support as its the team I support and not the manager.

He could certainly organise our comedy defence better than GH did and maybe impose a bit more discipline on some of the players. OK I'm clutching at straws now :(

Yeah, I think any prospective players would love to come now that we've shown them how supportive and patient we can be. :D Don't fool yourselves, even if AM isn't the one for us, we as fans have hurt the club as well with our reactions. At least in the short term.

That goes on the board for me. That outcome should have been completely foreseeable. By interviewing him (and especially dragging it out), the board accepts the consequences.

You are always, ALWAYS, responsible for your own reactions. You purse a course of action based on choice. It goes not just for the board but for us as well. We chose to show the Villa fanbase in light we have and we have to live with it. No matter what one feels of AM as manager, none of this, bickering and complaining or protesting outside VP, is productive or helps the club.

Doug Ellis was a word removed of a chairman but not even he created such an anti board feeling and fans protests as have been seen and he would never have poached a shit manager straight from SHA.

I think the reaction is bonkers Julie and I really believe that the majority of the reaction is down to the fact that he is has been Birminghams manager for the past few years..
It has very little to do with that! It's his shit football, shit signings and the fact that he's gotten a team relegated twice in the last 4 seasons. Admittedly, it is bad that he's come SHA, but only because when anyone tries to express their disapproval of the appointment people just come back with "you're only saying that because he managed Birmingham".

Is it four full seasons or three and a half? He came in halfway through the first relegation during his stay did he not?

I know his football is uninspiring, defensive, boring etc. We haven't played like brazil in a while though ourselves.

I am not just coming back with the SHA connection because people are showing their disapproval. People showed their disapproval at McClaren, this takes it to a far more serious scale than that and you know it.

People keep talking about the top four but we are miles away from that. Which is a great shame, but with the money at that end of the table I don't believe we can compete now. We got close under MoN and if we could get to that level again I would personally be very happy.

He was appointed in November 2007. That's more than enough time. Disregarding that season, I would've thought this season just gone would have shown him up for the shit manager he is.

The reason why this is on a bigger scale than McLaren is because McLeish is a much worse manager than McLaren.

Unfortunately we're not going to get anywhere near the top 4 now. It was unlikely anyway but it's even more unlikely now. I'll love to be proven wrong but I can't see it.

Sanchez Flores won't get the job because he is a foreign manager with no prem experience. A guaranteed failure like...

Mourinho - Failure

Benitez - Failure

Ancelotti - Failure

The article even mentions bringing in Ayestarian who was the main reason Liverpool were so good for a few seasons.

Still can't believe McLeish will be our manager.

I don't give a monkeys that he used to manage Birmingham City, now they're not in the same league as us they're completely irrelevant to me.

I just don't think he's any good, the Blues suffered an absolute and complete collapse after the Carling Cup victory, this would worry me greatly. Also they played some of the worst football the Premier League has ever seen.

I still really, really hope this doesn't happen. I've been a Lerner loyalist and even if he does appoint McLeish he'll still have more in the credit column than the debit column but I have to say that this insistence on Premier league experience just strikes me as naive at best. There are managers on the continent with no Premier League experience who would clearly be better bets than McLeish.

That said if the unfortunate does happen tomorrow, it's a new chapter and we have to get behind him 100%, if we don't I think a really poor season is guaranteed.

Funny, normally on here nobody believes reports in The Mirror. Strange...

I think people want to believe it because of how shit they feel at our current managerial situation.

I just can't believe the best candidate can be someone who got relegated despite spending £40m in the past 2 seasons.

Someone who couldn't motivate a club to win just one of their last 4 games to survive.

It just can't be him. It makes no sense. I'm still firmly in denial here.

I'd love to see a list of the candidates and who actually got an interview. Surely if we'd spoke to anyone else it would have leaked out?

it doesnt bother me so much that the club have "ignored" the fans. lerner cannot be seen to make his decisions based on fans views. the few thousand that turned up to the ground and the more who are making their feelings known online are still only a small part of the worldwide villa fanbase. bowing to the fans sets a dangerous precedent - if he gives in this time then what happens the next time something happens we disagree with?

what bothers me is that in the 2-3 weeks since houllier went the best name we could come up with to lead this team was Alex Mcleish. i refuse to believe there are not better managers out there who we could have attracted. Lerner/Faulkner or whoever is making the decisions on criteria and candidates for the role are doing a shitty job.

in hindsight the Houllier appointment did not turn out great, but at least at the time it made some sense. He was a well respected name in football, he had some pull in terms of transfer targets and good contacts to help improve the scouting network. he recognised we need to learn to pass the ball and keep posession to advance as a team, and he tried to implement this. He realised that control of wage structure is important, and was able to make a couple of good signings whilst abiding by this. He seemed to deal with the youth players quite well. Basically it was everything we needed to stabilize the club and move it forward steadily, much as spurs have in the last few seasons.

the Mcleish appointment makes no sense, its like going back to the MON style of doing things, but way worse. turgid football that sees us sitting deep and smashing long balls for the forwards to chase. no pull in the transfer market, so poor and average players signed for decent money. we are not going to attract any good players, any good players we have are going to want out. I cant see him helping to bring through any of the youngsters and improve their game. its a crazy decision