• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Everybody seems to forget how Bolton completly bombed down the table and got spanked in the semi final

This.. they looked out of depth, he looked out of depth.. he looked clueless when they got spanked in semi final... no plan B.. nothing, no thanks to Coyle.

Thank God I am not the only one who thinks Coyle isnt good enough :D

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to lean towards it being more likely to be a non-PL candidate, e.g. Rijkaard, Flores. As we've seen with Wigan, if you contact PL clubs, it most likely gets leaked. We may well have made early stage enquiries for Moyes or Coyle, but I don't see either of them happening. I think it'd be in public sphere by now if we'd been allowed to talk to one of them, as you'd assume we contacted them same time as Wigan for Martinez. That would leave either a free agent (i.e. McClaren, Hughes) or someone from further afield.

I think it slipped under radar, but seemingly someone linked to the board was posting on Heroes&Villains earlier. He wasn't saying much but someone asked if Premier League experience was an absolute requirement in manager search and the answer was "Not this time around, as far as I know". Reliability of source? Seemed like he was known on that message board and had posted there before.

His answer wasn't definitive but it did suggest the possibility we are searching wider this time. This would also tally with media knowing nothing about who we after & just jumping on whatever half-rumour they can find.

All very tenuous stuff, I know!

Van Gaal might be open to us, he didn't see AZ Alkmaar as below him.

But Randy will see the lack of premier league experience and think no way. Personally I think its a good thing but Champions League winner trumps Premier League experience.

That is exactly what I said about 100 pages ago on this thread, most people thought I had gone nuts for some reason.

He didnt spend millions there at AZ and won the league and look at the Ajax side he built with academy players.

This guy seriously knows his shit :thumb:

Everybody seems to forget how Bolton completly bombed down the table and got spanked in the semi final

This.. they looked out of depth, he looked out of depth.. he looked clueless when they got spanked in semi final... no plan B.. nothing, no thanks to Coyle.

He basically had Megson's squad plus Holden and Sturridge, a free transfer and a loan. Those 2 were out for the final and Holden was out for the last 2 months of the season. He just hasn't had any money to spend to improve their squad. He had to play Elmander at CM a lot down the stretch run of the season.

Interesting that Bolton really started smelling up their season when Stu Holden was put to pasture by Man U, Ashley's new pals.

But Randy will see the lack of premier league experience and think no way. Personally I think its a good thing but Champions League winner trumps Premier League experience.

Van Gaal's C.V ( I think it speaks for itself! )

Honours

Ajax

* 3 × Dutch League (Eredivisie): 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96

* 3 × Dutch Super Cup (Johan Cruijff Shield): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1994–95

* 1 × Dutch Cup (KNVB Cup): 1992–93

* 1 × UEFA Cup: 1991–92

* 1 × UEFA Champions League: 1994–95

* 1 × UEFA Super Cup: 1995

* 1 × Intercontinental Cup: 1995

Barcelona

* 2 × Spanish League (La Liga): 1997–98, 1998–99

* 1 × Spanish Cup (Copa del Rey): 1997–98

* 1 × UEFA Super Cup: 1997

AZ

* 1 × Dutch League (Eredivisie): 2008–09

Bayern Munich

* 1 × German League (Fußball-Bundesliga): 2009–10

* 1 × German Cup (DFB-Pokal): 2009–10

* 1 × German Super Cup (DFB-Supercup): 2010

Individual Honours

* 2 × Rinus Michels Award (2007, 2009)[35]

* 1 × Dutch Sports Coach Of The Year (2009)[36]

* 1 × Die Sprachwahrer des Jahres (2009)[37]

* 1 × German Football Manager of the Year (2010)[38]

JamesDoddTS James Dodd

Very Interesting news 'potentially' coming out for #Villa fans tomorrow. You could be a very happy bunch if you like Ginger Scots...#AVFC

McLeish?

Gordon Strachan :shock:

The clocks ticking now and we appear to be entering a different phase of the whole story.

Have we simply sorted out the chaff from the wheat? Is the field being cleared for the serious contenders to now enter the race? I sincerely hope so.

I like the sound and look of Van Gaal and Rijkaard, but my gut feeling has to be for Moyes still, with the uncertainty over Mark Hughes's future destination possibly playing a big deciding part.

JamesDoddTS James Dodd

Very Interesting news 'potentially' coming out for #Villa fans tomorrow. You could be a very happy bunch if you like Ginger Scots...#AVFC

Is he reliable though?

Who is he?

I dont think Lerner has much choice but to go for a continental manager without Prem experience. If Moyes stays put then we're down to what??

I would have hoped van Gaal would have been approached anyway and Rijkaard has reportedly made his availability known to Villa. Neither will come cheap and will want a substantial warchest otherwise I'd suspect they may say its not worth it.

The money thing is beginning to worry me with the NFL lockout posing a massive burden on Lerner's finances.

I'm starting to lean towards it being more likely to be a non-PL candidate, e.g. Rijkaard, Flores. As we've seen with Wigan, if you contact PL clubs, it most likely gets leaked. We may well have made early stage enquiries for Moyes or Coyle, but I don't see either of them happening. I think it'd be in public sphere by now if we'd been allowed to talk to one of them, as you'd assume we contacted them same time as Wigan for Martinez. That would leave either a free agent (i.e. McClaren, Hughes) or someone from further afield.

I think it slipped under radar, but seemingly someone linked to the board was posting on Heroes&Villains earlier. He wasn't saying much but someone asked if Premier League experience was an absolute requirement in manager search and the answer was "Not this time around, as far as I know". Reliability of source? Seemed like he was known on that message board and had posted there before.

His answer wasn't definitive but it did suggest the possibility we are searching wider this time. This would also tally with media knowing nothing about who we after & just jumping on whatever half-rumour they can find.

All very tenuous stuff, I know!

I posted pages back that the same guy the General's son, said Low, Van Gaal and Ancelotti were not interested.