• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a distinct smell of pissy knickers on the forums tonight!

You'd have thought we'd announced a really unpopular managerial appointment. Has Ian Huntley got the job with Josef Fritzel as his assistant?

If we do appoint Martinez, then if I was McClaren I'd be straight on the phone to Dave Whelan for the manager's job at Wigan.

Think he deserves to prove everyone wrong for some of the unfair stick he's had on here. Everyone makes mistakes but he did a good job

at the Smoggies and had the guts to take on the poisoned chalice of England.

How can the board not even consider Mark Hughes (told Fulham we didn't want to speak to him etc) yet we ask Wigan for permission to speak with Roberto Martinez?

Do the board really think that Martinez > Hughes ?

Problem with Hughes is he would be gone within 2 years. The bloke has absolutely no loyalty

Go where?

He'd have to be doing exceptionally well to go anywhere bigger would he not?

This

Also can anyone remember the last villa manager to be poached from our club? Hell i'd love hughes to be poached in two years ashe must've done an an amazing job in that time.

What's wrong with Martinez? He's done reasonably well at Wigan, and has them playing excellent football. Worth a punt.

Worth the punt? Really? 3 good seasons. Bad one last season. We need a manager to push us on while we still have top players on board e.g. Bent

Martinez is no ambition appointment IMO.

Rafa or Hughes are free go for them.

Rijkard wants the job.... Is he worth the punt too? Would he not have more about him with regards to the players, media and fans?

You'll be on RM back the minute you remember how poor his teams are. All good when he wins a game thats it.

JG and BL was a different era. Football has moved way on since the 90's. If he is that good a top Spanish team would take him on board. Simples.

From Ancelotti apparently being our first choice to Martinez... fair bit of a drop there.

We could have god as our first choice, If he isn't interested then it's not the clubs fault. Just because someone is a target doesn't mean they will want the job.

They wanted mclaren but you all went mental. Now the same people are complaining that we are further down the list.

I told you all Steve was a perfectly good option out of what was left haha.

What's wrong with Martinez? He's done reasonably well at Wigan, and has them playing excellent football. Worth a punt.

He's kept them up by the skin of their teeth, that isn't "reasonably well". And the fact that they pass it around a bit and generally get thrashed isn't excellent football in my book. If this is true, it proves that Randy Lerner hasn't got much of a clue. Several dud appointments at the Cleveland Browns, and two in a row at Villa. Stick to credit cards mate.

I, for one, would like Martinez to be our manager. I don't know why. He's not been that successful and their defending has been terrible at times. But I like him. He seems like a nice guy. (and yes.. I know that's not a good reason to hire a manager)

If he had a quality defence to work with, his attacking play would be protected a lot more and his teams would not get ripped apart. Didn't he beat Arsenal with WIGAN ? He must have something about him if that happened (IF... I can't remember).

He seems like a nice guy. (and yes.. I know that's not a good reason to hire a manager)

Sometimes it's a good reason from previous experiences of running a football club :idea:

I, for one, would like Martinez to be our manager. I don't know why. He's not been that successful and their defending has been terrible at times. But I like him. He seems like a nice guy. (and yes.. I know that's not a good reason to hire a manager)

If he had a quality defence to work with, his attacking play would be protected a lot more and his teams would not get ripped apart. Didn't he beat Arsenal with WIGAN ? He must have something about him if that happened (IF... I can't remember).

Gary Mc beat Arsenal and Liverpool.... Whats your point?

He's kept them up by the skin of their teeth, that isn't "reasonably well". And the fact that they pass it around a bit and generally get thrashed isn't excellent football in my book. If this is true, it proves that Randy Lerner hasn't got much of a clue. Several dud appointments at the Cleveland Browns, and two in a row at Villa. Stick to credit cards mate.

Didn't Tony Mowbray get complemented on his style of play a few years ago? What happened to him? Results are more important people!

Didn't Tony Mowbray get complemented on his style of play a few years ago? What happened to him? Results are more important people!

Indeed. Passing it around and getting thrashed is easily done.