Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

52 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Nice to see recognition to Bradley Lowrey's parents.

Would have thought Defoe would have got some sort of accolade too?

I'm a bit unsure about this. Personally I'd find getting an award for essentially just a decent human being a bit odd. I understand where you're coming from, and agree that Defoe deserved a lot of praise for the way he maintained his friendship with Bradley, but surely anyone with an ounce of decency would have done the same. I'm not sure awarding someone for it would be the right way to go, and I'm not sure Defoe would have been comfortable with it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I'm a bit unsure about this. Personally I'd find getting an award for essentially just a decent human being a bit odd. I understand where you're coming from, and agree that Defoe deserved a lot of praise for the way he maintained his friendship with Bradley, but surely anyone with an ounce of decency would have done the same. I'm not sure awarding someone for it would be the right way to go, and I'm not sure Defoe would have been comfortable with it.

Granted, maybe not an award as such but a tiny bit of recognition maybe, nonetheless the whole episode of it all was touching and brought a tear to the eye.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Is there alot of chavs in Birmingham?

Whatever chav meant originally it now seems to cover a group of young people that dress the same way (hoodies, baseball caps, jogging bottoms/tracky bottoms) and hang round in groups acting like words removed. They use mopeds as their method of travel. There are a fair amount of them across the UK< I'd say its definitely a British thing! 

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

Whatever chav meant originally it now seems to cover a group of young people that dress the same way (hoodies, baseball caps, jogging bottoms/tracky bottoms) and hang round in groups acting like words removed. They use mopeds as their method of travel. There are a fair amount of them across the UK< I'd say its definitely a British thing! 

Is a scallie different ? That term is northern in nature though.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Is a scallie different ? That term is northern in nature though.

Same thing I think. 

Chavs were always "kevs" and "sharons" when I was at school. Dunno why. 

8 hours ago, Xela said:

Some years back, one of my work colleagues came back from France with a claim that he had seen French chavs. My next holiday there confirmed that he was correct. Sat in a fairly cheapo restaurant, I saw a French family in shell suits, baseball caps, trainers and cheap bling. Shouting at their badly behaved kids in true chav style. Dunno if it caught on, but they were there in 2012 or so. 

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Was Christmas Day always cold years ago? It seems to be quite mild these days. I know 3 years ago we had a load of snow on Boxing Day. 

One Christmas down this way we had flowers blooming and a bee flying about.

Monsoon Summers piss me off more than mild Winters :)

• 2 weeks later...

How many people read things like "The following image may be disturbing" or "Some viewers may find this programme offensive" and then actually don't look at the image or watch the programme?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

How many people read things like "The following image may be disturbing" or "Some viewers may find this programme offensive" and then actually don't look at the image or watch the programme?

I always assumed it was designed to specifically make you watch the programme  , Like CH 4's red triangle which gave you a heads up that some flange was going to be displayed any time soon

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/23/2017 at 21:15, Stevo985 said:

Same thing I think. 

Chavs were always "kevs" and "sharons" when I was at school. Dunno why. 

I was about to reply with exactly the same thing. Where did you go to school as i imagine this was a fairly localised thing.

17 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I was about to reply with exactly the same thing. Where did you go to school as i imagine this was a fairly localised thing.

King's Heath. Probably used that term from 2000-2004 ish

30 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I always assumed it was designed to specifically make you watch the programme  , Like CH 4's red triangle which gave you a heads up that some flange was going to be displayed any time soon

Probably.

I was watching "Won't Pay? We'll Take It Away" the other day.

The continuity guy before the show said "Warning that the following programme contains scenes of tempers fraying"

I'm not joking. Seriously, has anyone heard that and thought "Oh, that doesn't sound like it's for me"

Â